Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redchef82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
Im not sure which way to go.

I currently have an outdated (2006) iMac which is running a bit slow but very functional. I don't do much on it except internet, email and Microsoft word/excel.

I do consulting and do need a laptop from time to time but only very basic functionality, basically writing reports from my hotel. However, I should mention that I hate the layout of basically all laptop keyboards and mousepads. But will suffer through it when I have to and just use my own mouse.

So I'm not sure which route to go.

Get a Mac Book Pro and buy a monitor to use as a docking station or buy an iMac and a cheap PC laptop that will allow me to do my reports the few times a year that I will need it.

I'm just worried and feel that the MBP is not as durable as the iMac and I don't want to spend $1500 on something I will need to replace in a few years. In that case I can buy the iMac which will be more powerful and hopefully last longer and get a cheaper PC laptop.

Thoughts?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

I currently have an outdated (2006) iMac which is running a bit slow but very functional. I don't do much on it except internet, email and Microsoft word/excel.

I do consulting and do need a laptop from time to time but only very basic functionality, basically writing reports from my hotel. However, I should mention that I hate the layout of basically all laptop keyboards and mousepads. But will suffer through it when I have to and just use my own mouse.

Get a Mac Book Pro and buy a monitor to use as a docking station or buy an iMac and a cheap PC laptop that will allow me to do my reports the few times a year that I will need it.

I'm just worried and feel that the MBP is not as durable as the iMac and I don't want to spend $1500 on something I will need to replace in a few years. In that case I can buy the iMac which will be more powerful and hopefully last longer and get a cheaper PC laptop.

Thoughts?

MacBook Pros can last...if you spec them out from the start. My 2011 MBP is into its third year already and it's still running like new (I upped the RAM to 16GB and put in a Samsung 840 Pro SSD) and I expect it to last until its 5th or 6th year.

You will love the trackpad on the rMBPs, trust me. It's way different from any other trackpads. I find myself using the trackpad more often than the mouse.

Talking about the keyboard, the new iMac keyboards have the same layout as the MacBook's keyboard.

I'd say your usage (writing reports from a hotel room) would be better suited to just an iPad Air instead with an external keyboard. So in the end...get an iMac and an iPad Air. When it comes to intensive tasks, the iMac still kicks the rMBP's butt. The fans don't even spin up at all on the iMac, unless working with videos and playing Battlefield 4.

minimalism

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2013
If the things you do from a laptop isn't labor intensive, my suggestion would be the same as what yjchua95 said, go for iMac and iPad Air. Maximise cloud storage. Macbook Pro can last long, but will degrade faster than an iMac.

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
I got rid of my iMac and iPad Air and use a 15.4" rMBP. Dumped the iMac because it's like an antique device nowadays because of the coarse density pixel display. Dumped the iPad Air because it lacks the functionality of an OSX computer. 15.4" rMBP gives me the speed and functionality of an iMac combined with the fine pixel density retina display of the iPad Air.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I got rid of my iMac and iPad Air and use a 15.4" rMBP. Dumped the iMac because it's like an antique device nowadays because of the coarse density pixel display.

Antique is a just a bit unfair. :p

There are tradeoffs. By dumping your iMac you also dumped its far larger screen, greater power, contrast, color gamut and storage. The PPI on the iMac, while not retina, is alot closer to the rMBP when factoring in viewing distance.

That said, retina is retina. There will be a most notable difference with the clarity and sharpness of text.

I would suggest that if reading text on your machine and portability are your highest priorities, then the rMBP is for you.

Let's not put down the iMac as obsolete though.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I got rid of my iMac and iPad Air and use a 15.4" rMBP. Dumped the iMac because it's like an antique device nowadays because of the coarse density pixel display. Dumped the iPad Air because it lacks the functionality of an OSX computer. 15.4" rMBP gives me the speed and functionality of an iMac combined with the fine pixel density retina display of the iPad Air.

Such arrogance, do you ever think maybe some people need a bigger screen for photo/video, and you really thought your ipad was going to be a computer replacement. :rolleyes::eek:

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany

Thoughts?

I think you are better off with an iMac. It is an amazing computer and you will love it.
I suggest you get an iPad for when traveling, if writing your reports can be done sufficiently on it, depending on what kind of software you need to use. Otherwise, get the smallest Macbook Air for traveling (if your budget allows that).

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I think you are better off with an iMac. It is an amazing computer and you will love it.
I suggest you get an iPad for when traveling, if writing your reports can be done sufficiently on it, depending on what kind of software you need to use. Otherwise, get the smallest Macbook Air for traveling (if your budget allows that).

Perfect answer. I agree!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Personally, getting an iMac and then a cheap PC laptop seems like more of problem. Why buy two computers (especially on different platforms) then getting a rMBP?

I will admit that the iMacs are a gorgeous machine and the displays are great but it seems you have mobility needs which would make the MBP a better fit.

Just my $.02

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Buy an iMac it's much better to sit and work in front of a big gorgeous screen. Then get a MBAir just so you have a laptop to bring around if you need it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.