Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

termin8r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
Hi all. I've been using iPhones and iPads for years now. I recently bought my very first macbook (MBPr 15") and this always bugged me about Apple. While I love how OS X handles updates over Windows' hourly updates, it's always frustrating when settings get changed.

For instance, I just did the OS X Mavericks update along with the iTunes update. I'm assuming it was the OS X update that completely changed my iCloud settings. I only ever use find my mac (and app/os backups on iphone and ipad), and my OS X iCloud settings were completely changed. I had documents, pictures, safari, keychain, etc all checked.

I've noticed this in the past with updates on my iPhone. Annoying stuff will happen like bluetooth enabling or it changing my default email address.

Is there any way to avoid this? I just hate the guessing game and wasted time after updates to see what has been changed. Thanks!

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hi all. I've been using iPhones and iPads for years now. I recently bought my very first macbook (MBPr 15") and this always bugged me about Apple. While I love how OS X handles updates over Windows' hourly updates, it's always frustrating when settings get changed.

For instance, I just did the OS X Mavericks update along with the iTunes update. I'm assuming it was the OS X update that completely changed my iCloud settings. I only ever use find my mac (and app/os backups on iphone and ipad), and my OS X iCloud settings were completely changed. I had documents, pictures, safari, keychain, etc all checked.

I've noticed this in the past with updates on my iPhone. Annoying stuff will happen like bluetooth enabling or it changing my default email address.

Is there any way to avoid this? I just hate the guessing game and wasted time after updates to see what has been changed. Thanks!

I've never noticed this but then I leave all that turned on. I want photostream and I want documents in the cloud (though I think saving to iCloud as default when I'm on my Mac is stoopid). It's not like iOS and OSX updates are automatic and happen behind your back. To me the solution is to take a quick peek at System Preferences after every update to detect changes. You could also complain to Apple about this through AppleCare since you are probably within 90 days of buying your rMBP. Another option is http://www.apple.com/feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.