Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egy195

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
although i'm currently a windows user, the one machine that i was looking into to convert to the apple world was the 'old' mac pro tower, the thought of easily upgrading essentially any part from that computer was very tempting and then came apple with the current mac pro, i don't hate it but wish at least they would give us the choice, either buy the tower one and whatever you want with it or buy the small fancy one and be happy with external expandability.
do you think apple will ever produce another mac pro tower ?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Definitely not in the near future. And a good chance they won't in the long term.
It's a little more expensive to set up initially with the external storage, but in 3 to5 years when it's time to replace it, it's going to be just swap Mac Pros and use migration assistant for the internal drive.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
although i'm currently a windows user, the one machine that i was looking into to convert to the apple world was the 'old' mac pro tower, the thought of easily upgrading essentially any part from that computer was very tempting and then came apple with the current mac pro, i don't hate it but wish at least they would give us the choice, either buy the tower one and whatever you want with it or buy the small fancy one and be happy with external expandability.

No, they are moving in a new direction. You can still get "new" towers from the Apple refurbished store, but you have to move very quickly as stock dries up within minutes of hitting the store. People use refurbme.com to be notified of availability.

egy195

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Definitely not in the near future. And a good chance they won't in the long term.
It's a little more expensive to set up initially with the external storage, but in 3 to5 years when it's time to replace it, it's going to be just swap Mac Pros and use migration assistant for the internal drive.

they could have introduced more thunderbolt ports and in the same time keep the old design, i didn't see anyine moaning about that design, they just wanted a faster machine with new processors

----------

No, they are moving in a new direction. You can still get "new" towers from the Apple refurbished store, but you have to move very quickly as stock dries up within minutes of hitting the store. People use refurbme.com to be notified of availability.

here in egypt we only can buy new computers as the used ones are in bad bad shape usually

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
...they could have introduced more thunderbolt ports and in the same time keep the old design, i didn't see anyine moaning about that design, they just wanted a faster machine with new processors

Some company might have done that; not Apple Apple's leadership has explicitly stated on numerous occasions that they aren't interesting in doing many products. The corporate objective is to do a limited number of products extremely well.

Having a large product portfolio is not a strategic or tactical objective for Apple.

Even the old design was a compromise to merge single and dual CPU workstations into one smaller portfolio offering rather than two systems (and larger portfolio )more focused on the respective subsegments. So the old design showed the same "as simple as possible, but no simpler" approach to product portfolio. If duals had been dramatically outselling singles perhaps Apple would have kept something closer to the old design. The skew was in the other direction, so they went that way.

Other system vendors have an approach of multiple categories of overlapping products to try to put as dense a filter as possible to sweep in as much of the market they can. That isn't Apple approach. They only want a subset of the market. A profitable subset that has growth potential. Apple is no boutique vendor, they do need numbers to be viable, but pure volume isn't the issue either. They need growth because an objective is to keep the stock price up. For Apple 6-10% is good enough.

Relatively, few were complaining about the old case but relatively few were buying. No way Apple would have gone 'dark' for a couple of years on a hot product.

It boils down to providing something that is a great choice for some rather than providing the most choices.

If the Mac laptop , Mini, and iMac busineses implode and the Mac Pro market goes high growth ... maybe a "box with slots" tower comes back. In the meantime, the growth trendlines are running in the opposite direction. The laptops are dominant and the iMac is the dominant desktop.

egy195

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Some company might have done that; not Apple Apple's leadership has explicitly stated on numerous occasions that they aren't interesting in doing many products. The corporate objective is to do a limited number of products extremely well.

Having a large product portfolio is not a strategic or tactical objective for Apple.

Even the old design was a compromise to merge single and dual CPU workstations into one smaller portfolio offering rather than two systems (and larger portfolio )more focused on the respective subsegments. So the old design showed the same "as simple as possible, but no simpler" approach to product portfolio. If duals had been dramatically outselling singles perhaps Apple would have kept something closer to the old design. The skew was in the other direction, so they went that way.

Other system vendors have an approach of multiple categories of overlapping products to try to put as dense a filter as possible to sweep in as much of the market they can. That isn't Apple approach. They only want a subset of the market. A profitable subset that has growth potential. Apple is no boutique vendor, they do need numbers to be viable, but pure volume isn't the issue either. They need growth because an objective is to keep the stock price up. For Apple 6-10% is good enough.

Relatively, few were complaining about the old case but relatively few were buying. No way Apple would have gone 'dark' for a couple of years on a hot product.

It boils down to providing something that is a great choice for some rather than providing the most choices.

If the Mac laptop , Mini, and iMac busineses implode and the Mac Pro market goes high growth ... maybe a "box with slots" tower comes back. In the meantime, the growth trendlines are running in the opposite direction. The laptops are dominant and the iMac is the dominant desktop.

that makes sense, i guess i was just being selfish and didn't look at it from their perspective, the desktop market isn't what it once was sadly and i guess apple is just going with the flow and concentrating more on the mobile side of things, even the new mac pro can be mobile, the times they are a changin :(

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
that makes sense, i guess i was just being selfish and didn't look at it from their perspective, ...

The question "should Apple .... " will always being skewed to their perspective. "should I buy an Apple xxxx ..." comes from another. When there is a match, it is nice for both sides. When not, there are lots of other alternatives to match to.

, even the new mac pro can be mobile, the times they are a changin :(

This new Mac Pro design is more so a workstation for the desktop as opposed to the older design that was a workstation for deskside/floor. It is easier to move because it consumes a much smaller amount of space on the desktop ( similar footprint to that of a Mac Mini; but dramatically more volume so clearly not the same ).

It can be mobile in the same sense as some folks can put the older Mac Pro on top of their desk. At 11 lbs ( 5 kg ), it isn't in same mobile class as a 3-5 lbs laptop.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.