Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I started using Aperture as I was having issues with exporting images from Lightroom. However, there's one critical thing missing from Aperture, which is lens corrections, such as barrel distortion.

I can easily use lightroom as a plugin for aperture, although aperture creates a tiff file and exports this to lightroom. However, when I do this the lens profiles don't show so I can't make the lens corrections for my given lens. For example, when using my Sony 16-50mm, normally in LR I use the following profile corrections:-

Make - Sony
Model - Sony Dt 16-50mm SSM
Profile - A77V 16-50mm

Obviously if I use my 55-300mm I use the profile for that.

However, when I export from Aperture to LR the only option is:-

Make - Sony
Model - Sony DT 18-200mm
Profile - Adobe (18-200)

Nothing else is available. Does anyone know why this is?

So I thought one way around this would be to import in LR first and make the profile corrections, then export into Aperture to make the rest of the adjustments. However, I can't figure out how to do this. Is it possible, and if so how?

TIA

I wouldn't have to go to all this trouble if Apple would pull their finger out and release aperture 4 :mad:;) (assuming of course they add lens corrections to this :rolleyes:)

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I wouldn't have to go to all this trouble if Apple would pull their finger out and release aperture 4 (assuming of course they add lens corrections to this )

Big assumption. IF Apple did, which brands and models of lenses?

LR lens profiles:http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/lens-profile-support-lightroom-4.html

In theory any other company or user can create lens profiles and add them to LR.http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adob...toshop/pdfs/lensprofile_creator_userguide.pdf

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Big assumption. IF Apple did, which brands and models of lenses?

LR lens profiles:http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/lens-profile-support-lightroom-4.html

In theory any other company or user can create lens profiles and add them to LR.http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adob...toshop/pdfs/lensprofile_creator_userguide.pdf

Thanks for the links. It is a big assumption, but to keep up with the competition I think it's something they need to add imo. Even if it's just manual rather than having profiles, as I assume people will then create profiles to use.

Unfortunately as I'm far from an expert I do rely on 'auto' profiles as I woud not know what to correct and by how much :eek:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I suspect that you are seeing two different lense profile selections based on whether the file is a RAW file or not. I use Lightroom, and must remember to do lense corrections before I round-trip the image to Photoshop for editing. Once it's back my particular lense profiles are not available... though some other generic ones are ... to the PSD file.

I believe the issue is that LR stores lense profiles in two locations. IIRC, there is one location available to the system, and another to you as the user. Depending on the file format it ends up looking in two different places. I used Adobe's lense profile maker to create profiles for some lenses that weren't otherwise available and had to delve under the hood. This was a few years ago, so the details are fuzzy.... but I'm sure there are two spots that profiles are kept. You will just need to copy the profiles you want to use to the other location. Probably.

More importantly... What kind of exporting issues are you having with Lightroom. I don't believe your solution is the most efficient one possible.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I suspect that you are seeing two different lense profile selections based on whether the file is a RAW file or not. I use Lightroom, and must remember to do lense corrections before I round-trip the image to Photoshop for editing. Once it's back my particular lense profiles are not available... though some other generic ones are ... to the PSD file.

I believe the issue is that LR stores lense profiles in two locations. IIRC, there is one location available to the system, and another to you as the user. Depending on the file format it ends up looking in two different places. I used Adobe's lense profile maker to create profiles for some lenses that weren't otherwise available and had to delve under the hood. This was a few years ago, so the details are fuzzy.... but I'm sure there are two spots that profiles are kept. You will just need to copy the profiles you want to use to the other location. Probably.

More importantly... What kind of exporting issues are you having with Lightroom. I don't believe your solution is the most efficient one possible.

Thanks, I'll look into where the profiles are kept and see if I can figure out something from there. I know you say it's fuzzy, but do you have any inkling where it may be?

My export issues have been documented on here, I'll see if I can find the thread. No solution was ever found as it is something to do with the way adobe handles files and resizing.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Thanks, I'll look into where the profiles are kept and see if I can figure out something from there. I know you say it's fuzzy, but do you have any inkling where it may be?

My export issues have been documented on here, I'll see if I can find the thread. No solution was ever found as it is something to do with the way adobe handles files and resizing.

I would look at Application Support (in the two Libraries) and then Adobe > Lightroom (or perhaps Photoshop_Lightroom)?

Certainly, if you read up on the Adobe Lense Profile creation tool, the instructions tell you where to find/put the profiles. That at least is a clue to begin with.

I have this vague memory I may have participated in the thread on your export issues... me and my memory, eh?

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I would look at Application Support (in the two Libraries) and then Adobe > Lightroom (or perhaps Photoshop_Lightroom)?

Certainly, if you read up on the Adobe Lense Profile creation tool, the instructions tell you where to find/put the profiles. That at least is a clue to begin with.

I have this vague memory I may have participated in the thread on your export issues... me and my memory, eh?

Lol, my memory's like that too ;)

I have now managed to locate the lens profiles, thanks. They were in the library>adobe>cameraRaw>lens profiles.

Trouble is now I don't know where to copy them to so that they show with jpeg, tiff etc? :confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::eek:

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Bit of an update. Thanks to the wonders of google I've managed to figure out how to change lens profiles so that they work with jpeg and tiff files etc, not just RAW.

The first step is to locate the profiles, in mac this is user>library>application support>adobe>cameraRAW>Lens Profiles.

Next step is to copy the lens profile you want and paste it in the same folder, but rename it by removing the -RAW at the end of the file name. Open this file using the text editor and use find/replace ALL. In the find box use <stCamera:CameraRawProfile>true and replace ALL with <stCamera:CameraRawProfile>False.

Then restart the computer and all should work fine. So far so good for me :)

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Bit of an update. Thanks to the wonders of google I've managed to figure out how to change lens profiles so that they work with jpeg and tiff files etc, not just RAW.

The first step is to locate the profiles, in mac this is user>library>application support>adobe>cameraRAW>Lens Profiles.

Next step is to copy the lens profile you want and paste it in the same folder, but rename it by removing the -RAW at the end of the file name. Open this file using the text editor and use find/replace ALL. In the find box use <stCamera:CameraRawProfile>true and replace ALL with <stCamera:CameraRawProfile>False.

Then restart the computer and all should work fine. So far so good for me :)

That's a tip I'm going to use myself…Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.