Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyguy4u

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Hello guys..

First, my setup - I have Directv DVR, Apple TV, and a PS4 - all video and audio running through my Pioneer 1021 Receiver - with a single HDMI out of my receiver right to my TV.

My question is pretty basic. I pretty much want to record PS4 content, DVR content and Apple TV content to my Mac to later transfer to an external hard drive. I am not looking to record purchased content - but actually looking to record gameplay on my PS4 - and record some streaming shows on the Apple TV (the WWE Network specifically) - so not sure if I will run into a HDCP issue or not.

So with that said - my issue is how to do this. I was looking at the Hauppague HD PVR Plus - because it has an HDMI in and out. Would that work for my needs? Could I just take the HDMI out of my receiver and run that to the HDMI in of the PVR, and the out of the PVR right to my TV? Would that work? Am I missing something important here? It seems it would be that easy - but just looking to make sure. I really didn't want to use a computer at all - I was hoping to just transfer it right to a external drive rather than using the Mac as the middle man, but I assume something like that just doesn't exist.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I am not looking to record purchased content ... record some streaming shows on the Apple TV (the WWE Network specifically)

Do you pay a subscription for WWE?
Then it's "purchased content". Even though it is an "unlimited" stream

You're going to run into HDCP issues with anything from the appleTV

from Apple's KB
HDCP compatibility is required for video playback between your Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) and high-definition TV. Apple TV supports HDCP but all devices in the HDMI connection, including the TV, must also support this digital copy protection for successful video playback.

from the Hauppage specs
from HDMI sources without HDCP

your success with the DVR will be hit or miss depending on your cable provider and the channels you are trying to record.

nyguy4u

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
I do pay for a subscription - but the content on there is mostly free stuff from their shows on network free TV.

I guess I just thought it would work coming out of the receiver, because I've heard of a instances where people say that the receivers (and some HDMI splitters) remove the HDCP.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I do pay for a subscription - but the content on there is mostly free stuff from their shows on network free TV.

I guess I just thought it would work coming out of the receiver, because I've heard of a instances where people say that the receivers (and some HDMI splitters) remove the HDCP.

Negative ghost rider.

HDCP should be passed all the way thru the chain. Your receiver shouldn't be removing HDCP. That would make it wayyyy too easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.