Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
I'm just thinking what a pain it would be to upgrade and jailbreak now to 7.06 and then when 7.1 comes our to upgrade and jailbreak again. I also know that 7.1 should be arriving soonish, but might not be jailbreakable, so i'm covering myself with the ssl patch just incase.

Am i being totally foolish or is anyone else doing something similar?

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
I installed the patch because i can't be arsed reinstalling and setting up my tweaks on both my iPad and iPhone, plus i'm not going to waste my money again and buy pkgbackup or whatever as it didn't work properly one of the times i tried it.

Btw you'd probably get a better response to your question if you posted it in the jailbreak forum.

The next time i jailbreak will hopefully be iOS 7.1.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm just thinking what a pain it would be to upgrade and jailbreak now to 7.06 and then when 7.1 comes our to upgrade and jailbreak again. I also know that 7.1 should be arriving soonish, but might not be jailbreakable, so i'm covering myself with the ssl patch just incase.

Options:

1. If you are on 7.0.4 and jailbroken, install the SSL patch from Cydia.
2. If you are on 7.0.4 and not jailbroken, upgrade your damn phone that security hole is a big deal.

For me, I was already jailbroken on 7.0.4 but I upgraded to 7.0.6 and re-jailbreaked and reinstalled everything. I enjoy installing/configuring things fresh but thats just me :cool:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Similar discussion about this subject from the jailbreak sub-forum that might be of some help: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1710654/

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I went ahead and completely restored and then re-jailbroke. The longest part was downloading 7.0.6 from iTunes. For reinstalling my tweaks I just queued them all up and installed all at once. I didn't have to reconfigure anything as my settings were all saved somehow.

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
I went ahead and completely restored and then re-jailbroke. The longest part was downloading 7.0.6 from iTunes. For reinstalling my tweaks I just queued them all up and installed all at once. I didn't have to reconfigure anything as my settings were all saved somehow.

how did you que them? i thought cydia didn't save your preferences?

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
how did you que them? i thought cydia didn't save your preferences?

When you click install on a tweak/app you can tap continue queuing. Just do that for every app you want to install. On the final app you want to install instead of queuing it just install it, and it will install all of them at once. I didn't think the settings would be saved either but everything was set up the same as before right down to the position of my apps with gridlock.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm jailbroken on iOS 6.1 and I want to stay on iOS 6. So, this patch is my ONLY option.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
It can seem daunting to have to upgrade, re-jailbreak, and get your device back the way you had it, but it literally took me less than an hour.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
You shouldn't keep 7.0.4. the patch isn't as secure. "I don't want to re-install everything" isn't really a good excuse. :confused:

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
I'm on 7.1 beta 3 and I'd really rather not have to go back to 7.0.x at all. The patch is good enough for me.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
I was on iOS 7.0.4 and jailbroken and was debating whether or not to restore and re-jailbrake.

In the end I restored and updated to iOS 7.0.6 and re-jailbroke.

My iPhone feels more snappier now and freed more space.

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
I was on iOS 7.0.4 and jailbroken and was debating whether or not to restore and re-jailbrake.

In the end I restored and updated to iOS 7.0.6 and re-jailbroke.

My iPhone feels more snappier now and freed more space.

That's just because you restored...7.0.6 has no speed improvements. All it does is remove an extra go to fail; line.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
i was on 7.0.1 and just back up my device to itunes/openbackup.

updated to 7.0.6, restored my backup, then jailbroke using evasion 1.0.7, and restored all my jailbreak from openbackup. 12 minutes.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
I was going to stick with patched 7.0.4 on my 4S but yesterday I thought wth and updated. Cost me half an hour to restore and copy my stuff over from itunes, half an hour in cydia and half an hour to tweak and exchange ugly-ass icons. No crashes or spontaneous resprings on either and no speed difference whatsoever.

And most of your tweak prefs are saved by itunes guys. It backs up the whole preferences folder. They stick even if you go non-jailbroken for a while.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
Updated and re-jailbroke my 5 but didn't have many tweaks on it so not really a issue. Still debating to do a restore and re-jailbreak on my Air due to having loads on there that took hours to set up

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
I NEVER use my iphone on anything but my own secure home network. To heck with the upgrade AND the patch. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.