Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 8, 2003, 06:52 PM   #1
MUrhino
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Send a message via AIM to MUrhino
15" Powerbook Upgrade?

I was thrilled when Steve announced the new Powerbooks but I felt let down as the 15" wasn't changed at all. This is probably to get rid of the rest of the Titaniums lying around in warehouses. If the 17" ships around early February, any predictions as to when the 15" be upgraded? It seemed like an odd move, but that 17" screen is nice...a bit big and pricey for me though . Thanks!

Go Macrumors! Arn you were right on!
MUrhino is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2003, 10:19 PM   #2
kmac
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Thailand
Yeah, quite sad actually. After the initial excitement, I finally realized that the 12" is not of high spec, the 17" is great but it's a little too big for my need.

So I guess I'll have to wait for the 15" to be updated, which I'm guessing April or May at the earliest.

Sad. I'm all ready to give Apple a big pile of my hard earned cash.
kmac is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2003, 10:46 PM   #3
Wyrm
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toekeeyoe, Japan
Powerbook 15"

Question is when they do decide to upgrade the 15" if they go with a nVidia like the other 2 powerbooks or stick with the ATI?
I wonder if ATI is going to mobilize the 9700... or even make the 9700 for the Mac (someone else noticed this not coming out?) - that said I hope they use more advanced nVidia chips, like the geForce Go 4200.

Having 3 in the lineup might solve the availability problems Apple always seems to have when they ramp out a new model. At least something sort of current should still be available, right?

Also, is it just me, or does the 15" still have the most watthours battery (61 or something like that?)... still it is not enough - needs at least 120 watt hours (10 hours) to remove the worry about being to far from a power main (or be useful on an international flight to Asia). For that I'd deal with another 2 pounds. Or why not be able to remove the SuperDrive and stick in a battery when power is more important than watching DVDs.

Finally - the new cool backlit keyboard and light sensors - absolute nerdy must for the new 15".

When? 6 months from November would make it around April - but since they added Powerbooks with new technology (Firewire, Bluetooth) either a quick revamp of the remaining line, or a total cancellation of the 15" would not be out of the question (that would suck). Are they still manufacturing the 15"?

---------------------
Wyrm
Wyrm is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2003, 11:26 PM   #4
jaguarx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London
Dude just buy a second battery.
Sorry but the batt life is better than most and it really can't get that much better, i'm going to buy a 17" in a couple of weeks, i'm getting a second batt at the same time, problem solved.
jaguarx is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 01:40 AM   #5
davidc2182
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sin City
 
Talking yep

they are probably getting ready to introduce new 15 inch powerbooks as we speak considering the ship time is 7-10 days and all other products are 1-2 days, they should release safari for pee cee, microsoft would **** itself
__________________
http://www.x10n.com

"You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."
davidc2182 is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 02:40 AM   #6
Wyrm
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toekeeyoe, Japan
Quote:
Originally posted by jaguarx
Dude just buy a second battery.
Sorry but the batt life is better than most and it really can't get that much better, i'm going to buy a 17" in a couple of weeks, i'm getting a second batt at the same time, problem solved.
Can you swap batteries on the TiBook by just putting it to sleep ie closing the cover? Or do you have to shutdown? If you can't do this, then what about a small battery just for swapping (like a reserve tank) - close cover - swap battery - all done... or can you already do this?

-------------------
Wyrm
Wyrm is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 02:41 AM   #7
jaguarx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London
i don't know, the last mac i owned was an LCII with OS7

Even if you have to power down, it's once a day, it doesn't worry me that much.
jaguarx is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 03:12 AM   #8
NicoMan
macrumors 6502a
 
NicoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Re: yep

Quote:
Originally posted by davidc2182
they are probably getting ready to introduce new 15 inch powerbooks as we speak considering the ship time is 7-10 days and all other products are 1-2 days, they should release safari for pee cee, microsoft would **** itself
I would tend to agree. I looked at the inventory too and noticed the same. The thing is (I think) Apple need to get the 2 AlBook rolling. Once those are delivered with low shipping times then they will update the 15", I feel. Therefore I'd say we will see an update before mid/end of february (when the 17" start shipping in volumes...).

Now, like a few other people I am puzzled by Apple's choice of graphics cards for the 2 new Powerbooks. For the life of me I can't figure that one out...

NicoMan
NicoMan is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 09:52 AM   #9
agreenster
macrumors 68000
 
agreenster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Walt Disney Animation Studios
Quote:
Originally posted by Wyrm


Can you swap batteries on the TiBook by just putting it to sleep ie closing the cover? Or do you have to shutdown? If you can't do this, then what about a small battery just for swapping (like a reserve tank) - close cover - swap battery - all done... or can you already do this?

-------------------
Wyrm
Yes, this can be done on current Powerbooks. You have like, 30 seconds or something between batteries when swapping. I do this occasionally on long flights when watching movies or whatever.

However, I dont recommend closing the lid when the Ti is hot--the power button tends to singe the screen.......
agreenster is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 04:08 PM   #10
jaguarx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London
Quote:
However, I dont recommend closing the lid when the Ti is hot--the power button tends to singe the screen......
jaguarx is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 05:32 PM   #11
MR Lurker
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Nvidia in new PBs

This story was in today's Register. It may explain why Apple has chosen Nvidia for the graphics cards in the new PowerBooks.

Nvidia targets Mac games users
By gamesindustry.biz
Posted: 09/01/2003 at 10:43 GMT

Nvidia is muscling its way onto the packaging of a significant number of games for the Mac platform. Unlike the array of PC publishers and developers - who must be wooed individually – the Mac gaming software community is close-knit and means that Nvidia's “The Way It's Meant to Be Played” logo will get a lot of exposure.

Nvidia has managed this feat by teaming up with Mac publisher Aspyr. You may not recognise the name, but a quick trip to Aspyr.com will give you an idea of the size and girth of their product catalogue. Everything from Deus Ex, Medal Of Honor and every Star Wars game you can think of to The Sims, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater and even Tomb Raider are available on the Mac thanks to Aspyr – and although the Nvidia logo will appear only on "selected" packaging, those titles handpicked will surely be the cream of the crop.
__________________
There is no spoon.
MR Lurker is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 08:05 PM   #12
pgulliver
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
15"

I was ready to buy a 15" PB last week, thank god I waited. It will be my first Mac.

Historically, how much time has gone from revamping part of a product line (12/17") and revamping the remaining products? I'd love to wait and an "updated" 15" model, but I can't continually put off my purchase hoping something better comes over the horizon.

Anyway...I know we are just speculating, but I don't really know the history of Apple product releases and the type of schedules they adhear to, so I thought I'd run it by you all.

Peter
pgulliver is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2003, 10:34 AM   #13
zoetropeuk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oxford UK
15.4" AiBook

I think Apple already has the 15.4" AiBook ready to roll. I can't find the link but the company making the 17" LCD is already producing a 15.4".
I also don't believe Apple intended to release a 15.2" Superdrive and only did so to try and clear out the inventory to be able to announce the 15.4" at MWSF. There is no way Apple could position the current 15.2 TiPB's if a 15.4" AiPB was released at MWSF. How could they price it ? To make it cheap enough so that the 15.4 was not an option would take away the majority of sales from the 12" AiPB.
I think that as soon as the 15.2" TiPB's are gone than we will see the 15.4" AiPB

I have no proof of this but it stands to reason from Apple's past performances !!!!!!
zoetropeuk is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2003, 12:24 PM   #14
JSRockit
macrumors 6502a
 
JSRockit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NYC
It has to be something like that.
JSRockit is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2003, 12:39 PM   #15
Sakino
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
I am in a tough situation, because I leave for school next week and expected to buy a laptop. I already have a damn nice desktop, but I wanted to buy my first apple. My choice was going to be the 15inch pb until they released the 12 and 17. Both of those do not fit my needs for around campus. My choice is either to wait for the new 15 inch pb to hit the shelves and order it that night, or buy the current ones. I would hate to go off wasting my money on a pb that is going to be updated a couple of weeks later.

My input, although I dont know much about apple. Apple was running their promotion on ram for quite some time, and that is finally over. I'm sure that cleared up a lot of the ram used for the 15 inch pb, and now they are waiting a little while longer until part of the invantory goes out the door. Although I feel it wont, because a lot of people like me are probably going to end up sitting this one out and pray for it to come in FEB sometime.
Sakino is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2003, 12:49 PM   #16
JSRockit
macrumors 6502a
 
JSRockit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally posted by Sakino
I am in a tough situation, because I leave for school next week and expected to buy a laptop. I already have a damn nice desktop, but I wanted to buy my first apple. My choice was going to be the 15inch pb until they released the 12 and 17. Both of those do not fit my needs for around campus. My choice is either to wait for the new 15 inch pb to hit the shelves and order it that night, or buy the current ones. I would hate to go off wasting my money on a pb that is going to be updated a couple of weeks later.

My input, although I dont know much about apple. Apple was running their promotion on ram for quite some time, and that is finally over. I'm sure that cleared up a lot of the ram used for the 15 inch pb, and now they are waiting a little while longer until part of the invantory goes out the door. Although I feel it wont, because a lot of people like me are probably going to end up sitting this one out and pray for it to come in FEB sometime.
Sounds like you made your own decision.
JSRockit is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 04:25 AM   #17
rideahyperLite
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Send a message via AIM to rideahyperLite
what do u think the specs of the new 15" pb will be? similar to the 17? cuz i am gonna get a new laptop but i only get one like every eight years so i want to get the nuttiest one. if size really isnt a problem do u think that i should just get a 17 now or wait for the updated 15?
Attached Images
 
rideahyperLite is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 06:31 AM   #18
jaguarx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London
I'm tossing it up too.
Personally i've said stuffit, i'm getting the 17". I want a desktop replacement and i'm not keen to wait any longer.
jaguarx is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 09:52 AM   #19
benixau
macrumors 65816
 
benixau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Send a message via AIM to benixau
i dont like the price of the 17" i dont need fwire 800. i need a PC Card slot. i need airport.

therefore i need an AlumiBook. BUT i need one that has a backpackable screen. and a gig or RAM.

i think i know when i am going to buy. 15" AlumiBook, come ot daddy --- please :'(
__________________
Rather own a Mac than a Dell
benixau is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:58 AM   #20
Sakino
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
I talked with a guy at an apple store yesterday about the 15 inch pb. He said they might release some info late in Jan, or Feb about their plans. So hopefully they are letting their inventory go out the door, and making starting to stock up on the new 15 inch pbs.
Sakino is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 12:11 PM   #21
ofey
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London
Send a message via ICQ to ofey Send a message via AIM to ofey
Question Appeal for New 15" PowerBooks

I've only had my present 15" PowerBook G4 1GHz for someting like 3 months and being a recent switcher (my first mac though was one I used in my research lab: a desktop PowerMac G3 running OS9.2), I've gotten off to a very nice start on it. About the possibility of a new PowerBook in Febuary, I'm not really very excited as I would have a real problem then, the DESIRE of getting the new one *Maybe Apple could help with trade-ins? (just a thought)*.

I agree with most that the backlit keyboard, airport extreme and built in bluetooth would attract me greatly to upgrading but then again if the new Al PowerBook 15" changes its form factor and has the ports round the side of it, I doubt I'd be very happy. It would take the shine off the design. The brilliant thing about the present design is that the ports are at the back and you don't see the clutter of wires coming out from it and I do have quite a few from my digital camera, mouse (when I'm on my desk), Palm, ethernet cable(though this will be discounted as I'll get the airport base) and Power. If all these switched to the side *thought is too much to bear*. I don't mind the new 15" being the same thickness as this release and not going thinner but PLEASE keep the ports nice and neat at the rear of the PowerBook where it's out of sight?
ofey is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 12:50 PM   #22
will
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Re: Appeal for New 15" PowerBooks

Quote:
Originally posted by ofey
I don't mind the new 15" being the same thickness as this release and not going thinner but PLEASE keep the ports nice and neat at the rear of the PowerBook where it's out of sight?
I disagree ports on the side are easier to access which is more important to me than aesthetics.
will is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 05:55 PM   #23
JSRockit
macrumors 6502a
 
JSRockit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally posted by benixau
i dont like the price of the 17" i dont need fwire 800. i need a PC Card slot. i need airport.

therefore i need an AlumiBook. BUT i need one that has a backpackable screen. and a gig or RAM.

i think i know when i am going to buy. 15" AlumiBook, come ot daddy --- please :'(
Yep...you better wait then... max ram of 640mb on the 12" pBook and the 17" will not fit in any normal carry bag.
JSRockit is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 07:48 PM   #24
krohde
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Europe, UK
Question

My god. now im really in a dilemma. my parents were so nice as to give me a powerbook as a graduation present in september 2002 however, i have yet to order it because in september the november update was already rumored and then came the january rumors and now the update for a 15" AlBook. i think the 17" is too big for my use. i am now at college (with my brothers g3 PB 400mhz - quite slow to be honest) and i am desperately waiting for some info from reliable sources about new updated powerbooks and release dates. I also think, to follow some of apple's release history, that an updated 15" PB is going for mid february. the only thing is i have now waited for so long that i am almost desperate for a new computer. unfortunately the AlBook is not going to be released before (in europe) "late march" which really sucks and on the other hand leads me to believe that they wont update the 15" powerbook until april or may, hell even MWNY (btw are they going to that?).
What do you guys think???

Thanks

Last edited by krohde; Jan 12, 2003 at 07:52 PM.
krohde is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 08:23 PM   #25
JSRockit
macrumors 6502a
 
JSRockit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally posted by krohde
My god. now im really in a dilemma. my parents were so nice as to give me a powerbook as a graduation present in september 2002 however, i have yet to order it because in september the november update was already rumored and then came the january rumors and now the update for a 15" AlBook. i think the 17" is too big for my use. i am now at college (with my brothers g3 PB 400mhz - quite slow to be honest) and i am desperately waiting for some info from reliable sources about new updated powerbooks and release dates. I also think, to follow some of apple's release history, that an updated 15" PB is going for mid february. the only thing is i have now waited for so long that i am almost desperate for a new computer. unfortunately the AlBook is not going to be released before (in europe) "late march" which really sucks and on the other hand leads me to believe that they wont update the 15" powerbook until april or may, hell even MWNY (btw are they going to that?).
What do you guys think???

Thanks
I don't know how you waited after November...I would've bought at that point.
JSRockit is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does clicking on "Free Upgrade" in the App Store "download" or "download & upgrade"? darngooddesign OS X Mavericks (10.9) 1 Oct 31, 2013 01:48 PM
13" rMBP 2.9ghz: To upgrade or Not to Upgrade to New Haswell Version fskywalker MacBook Pro 3 Oct 28, 2013 08:29 PM
PowerBook G4 HD upgrade zackkmac PowerPC Macs 4 Feb 15, 2013 10:22 PM
13" MBP RAM upgrade = HD3000 VRAM upgrade? Doggman MacBook Pro 5 Aug 17, 2012 04:47 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC