Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechiEmmanuel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
Northern Virginia
So, I bought a Time Capsule 2TB on 8 Feb. I generally don't like shopping at Best Buy, but it was $22 off MSRP, and I had a gift card. I noticed that the serial number wasn't scanned during checkout, so I had to send Apple a copy of the receipt in order for it to show accurately in Support Profile. I mean, even Costco registered the serial with my iPod touch in 2009! Is this standard procedure for Best Buy, even in 2014? What are your experiences?
uja7yzy4.jpg

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I have yet to buy a device from Best Buy that showed the serial number on the receipt. I haven't bought any large ticket items from them.

On the other side of the coin, camera shops have been listing serial numbers on receipts for many many years.

Last edited:

TechiEmmanuel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
Northern Virginia
I noticed they don't record the serial number for high-value items (like Macs) either. Every other place where we've bought Apple gear (T-Mobile, Apple Store, Costco) have kept record of the serial number. It's quite appalling for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.