Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brother Seamus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Yesterday I impetuously upgraded my OS from 10.8 to Mavericks, and no, I don't like it.

Safari has become oh so slow, and I hate lots of the other little changes.

I have a disc for Snow Leopard, 10.6.3.

I know this is basic stuff, but what's the process for uninstalling Mavericks and re-installing 10.6?

And then, can I still update online to 10.8?

Thanks for any help.

I have an early 2008 iMac 24"
Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If you have a Time Machine drive from before the update you could just restore from a dat prior to the change.

If not... just hold the C key to boot from the SL DVD. Then start Disk Util and select the drive brand name at the top (like Seagate 1TB or whatever) above Macintosh HD then erase the entire drive in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Now quit Disk Util and install Snow Leopard.

Then you update back to ML over top SL if you want to.

Of course all of this completely erases your drive and all data.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
Yesterday I impetuously upgraded my OS from 10.8 to Mavericks, and no, I don't like it.

Safari has become oh so slow, and I hate lots of the other little changes.

I have a disc for Snow Leopard, 10.6.3.

I know this is basic stuff, but what's the process for uninstalling Mavericks and re-installing 10.6?

And then, can I still update online to 10.8?

Thanks for any help.

I have an early 2008 iMac 24"
Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

You can re-download 10.8 installer from the Mac App Store's Purchased tab. As to how to 'downgrade' well I am afraid you'll have to erase the drive and install it anew. Make sure to back up any and all files you want to make sure to have a copy of before doing anything else.

NTNL

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014

This video explains the process really well... It's also how I got back to 10.8.5 :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You can't download Mountain Lion from a Mac running Mavericks.

You can. I just tested it and you get this message, then if you click continue Mountain Lion downloads. This was from my purchases list in the App Store app.

YeIqvvB.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
YouTube: video

This video explains the process really well... It's also how I got back to 10.8.5 :)

You can't download Mountain Lion from a Mac running Mavericks.

The youtube shows the steps, and you can in fact either re-download the OS or buy it if you don't currently own it. I think the USB install is the best way only because I wonder if you go through the normal process will the recovery partition be 10.9 or still at 10.9?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.