Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
So i feel like 1gb of ram for an ipad might not be enough for my purpose (opening multiple pdfs, writing notes, etc.)

Can you guys share some thoughts on this?
Do you guys experience a lot of freezes (I think they called it a phase out or something like that..)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I've read on MR that iOS 7 uses memory compression just like OS X Mavericks. I've had no issues using my Air other than the stuttering and judders in the UI. Safari and the like work, no crashing while others have had the opposite results with crashes and springboarding. Your mileage will vary.

My suggestion is to buy it from a retailer with a good return policy and try it for yourself and put it thru it's paces.

iOS 7.1 should arrive shortly and the beta testers say it's fixed a lot of the problems.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
It should be perfectly fine.

Get one and try it... You can always return it!

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I read PDFs and ebooks every day. I haven't seen a problem. Note taking is also OK. I use Notesuite and one file may contain text, handwriting and photographs. Haven't seen a problem.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I don't have any ram problem. Don't go by a vocal few complainers on here. If most people had a ram problem, don't you think it would be widespread news, as millions have been sold.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
First let me tell you that using iOS 7.1 makes a big difference.
If you use your iPad to surf heavily, switching tabs all the time, then you will probably hate the iPad. Is it a memory problem? Probably. I don't know, but it seems like it.
If you use apps that need lots of memory, then you will see lots of refreshing when switching between these apps.
Of course more memory would be great and would make the iPad future proof, but unfortunately we are stuck with 1GB.
Apple optimizes iOS heavily so that it doesn't need a lot of RAM, so the issue isn't that big, as it would be on an Android tablet having 1GB of RAM, but still, memory will be a limiting factor going forward with new iOS versions.
I would say, the iPad works very well (with iOS 7.1), but the refreshing tabs issue is still there and doesn't seem to go anywhere. If that doesn't bother you, then you will love your iPad..

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Most of the crashing reports are with very specific websites in safari.

But even then there are ways to still view them ( ie puffin web browser opens nin.com without issues).

The ipad excels at what you're referring to..

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
There's really not a RAM problem.

Maybe not a RAM quantity problem but memory management does seem to be an issue. I haven't had any safari crashing issues and neither have many others but enough people have for it to be something apple has to look into.

Certain sites do seem to be more likely to crash safari. Overall, my experience has been excellent though. I say you grab yourself an Air and try it out. I bet you keep it and enjoy it.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
really a non-issue. iOS does a great job of management. Most apps don't really demand much.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
I Have read a lot about this problem, but I have not faced it in my usage of the Air. Primarily use it for reading PDFs. Very occasional browsing (using Mercury). Thus far, no crashes!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Memory tends to become an issue if you are not an OEM or in the position of Apple or Google. In the case of Google, they market and sell the Google Play Edition devices with the latest vanilla Android, zero bloat.

Apple designs, markets the iPad and the OS so they know if there is going to be a problem with whatever is running in the background and how to deal with it.

When you get to the other vendors like Samsung, Lenovo, ASUS, LG etc, memory now becomes an issue because their UI is typically skinned and that takes resources. So a Samsung tablet with 2GB of ram is pushing it because of the bloat in the UI tasks that are running and on top of that the multi-tasking features of the OS.

So memory really depends on the company and how they address it. Like previously mentioned it appears iOS 7 maybe using memory compression similar to OS X Mavericks.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
Memory tends to become an issue if you are not an OEM or in the position of Apple or Google. In the case of Google, they market and sell the Google Play Edition devices with the latest vanilla Android, zero bloat.

Apple designs, markets the iPad and the OS so they know if there is going to be a problem with whatever is running in the background and how to deal with it.

When you get to the other vendors like Samsung, Lenovo, ASUS, LG etc, memory now becomes an issue because their UI is typically skinned and that takes resources. So a Samsung tablet with 2GB of ram is pushing it because of the bloat in the UI tasks that are running and on top of that the multi-tasking features of the OS.

So memory really depends on the company and how they address it. Like previously mentioned it appears iOS 7 maybe using memory compression similar to OS X Mavericks.

Noone knows exactly if RAM compression is being used and if it is used then only for A7 devices, judging by logs. Dont forget that going to 64 bit OS RAM usage increases by about 15%, so 1gb RAM way too low.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
My iPad air reloads tab even when there are only 2 of them open. Even if iOS 7.1 mitigates this issue (emphasis on the word "mitigates", because people keep reporting reloading problems on 7.1) apple left its users in a really bad situation, for months, regarding this problem. So yes, i think there is a RAM issue, like there was a ram issue on the first iPad

Kaye Star

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2014
USA
I haven't had any problem with the RAM. Granted, I haven't had my iPad Air for long (less than a week), but the RAM has given me no trouble at all. I don't see the issue. I really don't.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
My iPad air reloads tab even when there are only 2 of them open. Even if iOS 7.1 mitigates this issue (emphasis on the word "mitigates", because people keep reporting reloading problems on 7.1) apple left its users in a really bad situation, for months, regarding this problem. So yes, i think there is a RAM issue, like there was a ram issue on the first iPad

Who really knows what's causing it? I posted a comment earlier where I opened 5-6 tabs and a couple of them used Disqus. I zoomed in and positioned each tab so when I went back I knew it hadn't reloaded. I did this on my iPad 2 and iPad Air both running 7.0.6

Guess what? All of them were in the exact same spot I left them.

Someone started a thread in the Help Section saying they believe the reloads have something to do with iCloud which is causing the problem. I don't use iCloud.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Get your iPad exchanged.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Get your iPad exchanged.

Eh...if I think that would help i would...
usually for a while a reboot is enough to make the situation decent again...and then after a while it starts again: reloads and, from time to time, crashes. But my experience doesn't seem to be so different from the one of many other people on the internet.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Eh...if I think that would help i would...
usually for a while a reboot is enough to make the situation decent again...and then after a while it starts again: reloads and, from time to time, crashes. But my experience doesn't seem to be so different from the one of many other people on the internet.

But there are so many others that run the same test with no crashing / reloading (just look through this thread).

kwajkat

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
I haven't any problems with my toys. However I do go in and close out everything every week or so. Double click on button and then swipe each app upwards. Doing that often might fix some of your memory problems. If you don't do that after a while and if you open a lot of apps it will bog down your device.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
But there are so many others that run the same test with no crashing / reloading (just look through this thread).

That's the problem with the whole RAM theory. Also, think about this..... The complaint is with safari and seemingly NO other apps at all. So, high end games with huge graphics and action run like a champ but the web browser blows up with a few tabs opened? Just don't make sense.

It's a software issue, IMO.

nikusak

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2014
I haven't any problems with my toys. However I do go in and close out everything every week or so. Double click on button and then swipe each app upwards. Doing that often might fix some of your memory problems. If you don't do that after a while and if you open a lot of apps it will bog down your device.

Those applications in the multitasking carousel are mostly nothing but screenshots of last used applications.

So, wiping up i.e. closing them is mostly just a waste of time, except if the application is *really* one of those which use the limited multitasking services iOS offers for applications.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/01/developer-clears-misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

https://developer.apple.com/library...cationsFlow/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.