Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Granted I've had my Nexus 4 for only 1 year and a bit, I've grown bored of it and am looking at a Lumia or back to the iPhone. Nothing wrong at all with Android, I rather enjoyed but I just want something different. Rather confused:confused:

NO LONGER BORED RUNNING CUSTOM ROM.

Last edited:

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I'm sure you will be just as bored going back to iOS.
I think people just want to be wowed all the time.
People have short attention spans these days.

Reactions: Blujelly and Rulu

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Granted I've had my Nexus 4 for only 1 year and a bit, I've grown bored of it and am looking at a Lumia or back to the iPhone. Nothing wrong at all with Android, I rather enjoyed but I just want something different. Rather confused:confused:
Throw a ROM on it like Omni or something. Take care of your boredom. Or pick up a Lumia 520 for around $50 and have fun with WP and the latest update (aka Black). Funny enough, the 8.1 update is only a month away and features like Notification Center and Cortana (Siri equivalent) are coming. It should bring WP up to par on features with iOS and Android.

Just something to consider.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Throw a ROM on it like Omni or something. Take care of your boredom. Or pick up a Lumia 520 for around $50 and have fun with WP and the latest update (aka Black). Funny enough, the 8.1 update is only a month away and features like Notification Center and Cortana (Siri equivalent) are coming. It should bring WP up to par on features with iOS and Android.

Just something to consider.

Eh, I flashed ROM's like crazy when I got it. Right now I'm running rooted 4.4 Nexus 5 Experience ROM with Franco kernel. My parents will only upgrade my phone every year, I do not like contracts and if my parents upgrade me it has to be a flagship.

Basically it's either Lumia 929, iPhone 6 or bust since when I upgrade it has to be a flagship.

----------

I never understood the whole "bored" thing. It's an operating system, it's the tech equivalent of being bored with your car's steering wheel.

Not in my opinion. I don't think phones have a good non-tech equivalent.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Ya. I'm over the customization options of my phone. I just want something that works and works well. I will likely be getting a larger iPhone when it is announced.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Ya. I'm over the customization options of my phone. I just want something that works and works well. I will likely be getting a larger iPhone when it is announced.

I think you get what I'm trying to say. Other posters while happy i don't know why I am not. That being said the Nexus 4 also just works I just might be too addicted to new stuff:p

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Eh, I flashed ROM's like crazy when I got it. Right now I'm running rooted 4.4 Nexus 5 Experience ROM with Franco kernel. My parents will only upgrade my phone every year, I do not like contracts and if my parents upgrade me it has to be a flagship.

Upgrade yourself to a 520/521. I'm sure you can manage to scrounge up the few bucks needed.
No need for a flagship phone if you wan to test out a new OS.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Its a phone not a bloody kids toy lol. I use my phone to make phone calls, send messages, check my email and surf the web. None of those activities would be more "fun" on a different OS.

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
I'd say with the endless customization options its much more difficult to get "bored" with Android than with any other mobile OS. Just a personal opinion though.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Upgrade yourself to a 520/521. I'm sure you can manage to scrounge up the few bucks needed.
No need for a flagship phone if you wan to test out a new OS.

My parents will not purchase a as a side device. Yes I have more then couple hundred dollars and yes I make money but that goes direct into my bank account to fund university and other things. I went for a flagship(Nexus 4) when I tested out Android sooo.

What you gave is good advice don't get me wrong, it's just that my situation does not allow me to follow your advice, I do thank you for your advice though:)

----------

Its a phone not a bloody kids toy lol. I use my phone to make phone calls, send messages, check my email and surf the web. None of those activities would be more "fun" on a different OS.

This type of response was expected. The live tiles seem very useful, the BB10.2.1 has the amazing gesture based navigation as does Ubuntu Touch, that's my point not saying Android currently has flaws, just not liking the traditional apps+widget setup.

I will however say that I'll be customising my phone more then usual and see if I am happy with it.

----------

I'd say with the endless customization options its much more difficult to get "bored" with Android than with any other mobile OS. Just a personal opinion though.

This most definitely is true. I got through my last year with my 4S before getting the Nexus 4 was by jailbreaking it and fully customising it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Your experience of those thing CAN vary wildly dependent on the OS.

Messaging and checking status updates is a lot more dynamic and fluid on a BB10 device for example.

Checking your contacts and numbers changes depending on OS and manufacturers skin too.

On a WP for example I am not a fan of how the tel number of your contact is in a different colour and much smaller font than the rest of their details. It makes the contact number less of a priority and yet surely on a telephone the number is of a greater one.

So yes contrary to your opinion the end user experience does change with OS and device, even for the most basic things.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand

Messaging and checking status updates is a lot more dynamic and fluid on a BB10 device for example.

Checking your contacts and numbers changes depending on OS and manufacturers skin too.

On a WP for example I am not a fan of how the tel number of your contact is in a different colour and much smaller font than the rest of their details. It makes the contact number less of a priority and yet surely on a telephone the number is of a greater one.

So yes contrary to your opinion the end user experience does change with OS and device, even for the most basic things.
Thank you for understanding my angle.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

The way the OP worded it was different to what you just posted. If the OP means what you just posted then i would have to disagree, i think android is the most enjoyable OS by far. IOS is way to locked down, WP is ok but im not a fan of tiles even on my Xbox One i am not a huge fan.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Nothing wrong at all with Android, I rather enjoyed but I just want something different

Besides some new icons and colors, I find iOS to be the same old OS we've been accustomed to. Nothing new or different about it. A couple new features similar to Android but if Android bores you, not sure what you'll find interesting with iOS.

Now if you want to switch because you're deep into Apples ecosystem or spent a lot of money on apps, I can understand that.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Nope I love what my Android can do and never been tempted to go back to Apple for any products.. I love my note devices

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Apathy to a device you use very often is normal.

For me I have never been a big user of widgets. For me design continuity and a coherence in design language is a lot more important than being able to add a god ugly widget to my home screen or change a few icons. For me design throughout the whole OS has to flow and has to have a common language.

This is regardless of OS.

IOS is very coherent and consistent throughout. That to me is important, though I perhaps don't like a lot of that design language in practice I appreciate that it is at least coherent throughout.

Android can vary wildly in this regard simply due to the amount of impact a manufacturers launcher and applications impact it.

Stock android is nearly as consistent throughout its stock google apps and launcher. Which is why a lot of people prefer stock android over a manufacturers skin.

Personally I prefer sense 5.5 over stock android and find that it has a very coherent and consistent design ethos.

I really do not like Touchwiz or LG's take on Android and stock applications. Using Touchwiz as I have now since April last year on both the S4 and Note 3 I have reached that point where I feel I can barely tolerate much of it.

That doesn't mean I don't like Android, just this particular take on it. I will either move to the new HTC One or possibly Moto X2 when it arrives sometime this year.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
not bored. you can make android look like anything you want. i am disappointed that google is out of the hardware business. i thought they'd try to compete with apple's model of a combination of hardware and software, which is, imo, the way to go. i am uncertain about the direction that android is headed. it seems too much like mircosoft and windows.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
No. But that's part of the reason why I like to have both android and iOS devices. If I get bored with one I just turn to the other.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
If you go to another OS, you'll probably get bored within a month once you get used to it again.

It'll only be "fun" because its different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.