Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmestrisXServe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Before anyone raises any concerns, I own the Public Beta CD, and have it archived in several formats. I do not however, have any systems capable of running it at present...

I originally used it on my 'Platinum' G3s, but I no longer have those systems, and all my usable Apple equipment is either too old, or too young.

I do not have any intention to use Kodiak as an OS, nor do I care about 'playing with it'.

What I am trying to do, is to extract files that are installed with it, that were not included with any other OSX version, to see if they will run on any later version, and to re-examine the default programmes that were to be included with OSX, but silently dropped with no explanation from Apple.

I would also like to examine the HFS_Booter partition, and the Carbon programmes, Finder, System, and BootX, from the beta, but that is a side-project.

Among these lost files, are also some Quicktime files, that I do not believe are available elsewhere, that I would like to separately archive.

I believe that all of these are in the Essentials.pax.gz file in Essentials.pkg. Unless someone know of a way to unarchive this (gzip | pax fails), I need to do a proper installation, and emulators are likely the only viable resource at my disposal. (I would be willing to allow someone access to the install, if they were to make a DMG system image of it for me.)

I have tried to unarchive the PAX files, but they give a permissions error, so I suspect they are encoded to only unarchive with the correct installer, and the 10.0b Kodiak installer won't run in Classic.

Does anyone know what, if any, emulator will run 10.0 beta, so that I may extract these files?

P.S. If you have a system that can temporarily install this, and are willing to make an install, and thereafter send me a DMG of the finished HDD image, I can walk you through the steps required to make it run.

Last edited:

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Romania
I have a few machines that might run it. I think my G3 B&W might be a good candidate. But i don't think i'll get some spare time before the weekend. If it's ok for you, let me know and i'll put another hdd in the machine to play around with.

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
No PPC emulators will run these I'm afraid - PearPC will only run OS X 10.1 Puma up to 10.4 Tiger, while SheepShaver only runs up to Mac OS 9.0.4.

Pacifist is the usual way to extract .pkg files but I'm guessing you've already tried that, the format of the packages is probably different to those used with released versions of OS X.

AmestrisXServe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
I was using standard CLi tools, gzip and pax: I'll try pacifict on 10.6 in VMWare.

(I don't run 10.6 on any system in normal operation, but I have a VMWare image of 10.6 Server.)

AmestrisXServe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
I managed to extract the package, using Pacifist.

I found that many of the programmes do not run on 10.5, but I didn't expect much of a different result. They may be missing frameworks, plists, or other files; or simply use elements of Carbon and Cocoa that have changed.

Sketch opens, but gives an error when trying to create a document.
CPU Monitor, HTML Editor, and Music Player all close instantly.

NetProbe (a ping utility), PPP Connect, and PDFCompositor all execute, and seem to work. These are the least interesting, but I am left to wonder why they run, while other programmes do not.

The next step is to debug the programmes that refuse to run.

Would there be any objection to sharing the Kodiak QT videos here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.