Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
Due to financial constraints, I've needed to sell my 960 GB SSD and move to a smaller SSD + HDD optibay setup. The HDD is formatted with exFAT so I can read from and write to the drive with both OS X and Windows 7. I've moved my Steam library to the HDD so I only need to download games once in order to play them on both operating systems. I also have several Mac App Store games. Naturally, OS X will install them to the SSD. I want them on the HDD. Is it as simple as letting the game download/install, then copying the application to the other drive, or do I need to do more?

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I don't know the answer to your MAS question but from the way you worded the post about Steam games being downloaded once for both Windows 7 and OS X I am wondering about something. You do realize you still have to download them twice right? The Mac and Windows versions are distinctly separate from each other as installations. Maybe it was just the way it was worded as I am thinking you probably already know that. You will need to explicitly tell Steam you want the Mac games on the hard drive as well since otherwise it will install them on the SSD where OS X system folders are. Maybe you already know that as well.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
You do realize you still have to download them twice right? The Mac and Windows versions are distinctly separate from each other as installations. Maybe it was just the way it was worded as I am thinking you probably already know that. You will need to explicitly tell Steam you want the Mac games on the hard drive as well since otherwise it will install them on the SSD where OS X system folders are. Maybe you already know that as well.

In Windows, I installed the Steam client directly on the optibay drive and downloaded a small game that's compatible with both operating systems (Peggle Deluxe) so I could ensure I have the complete folder hierarchy established. Then in OS X, I used a program called Source Finagler to create a symbolic link to the SteamApps directory on the optibay drive.

Then I downloaded Portal 2 in OS X. It runs fine. It even syncs my Steam Cloud saves between operating systems. I have to run the game at a different resolution in Windows, but I resolved this by adding command line arguments to the OS X install so it boots up in my desired resolution while staying at the one I want in Windows.

Now, this isn't going to work for every game. Actually, it might only work for Valve games now that I think about it. I'll have to experiment with something like Bioshock Infinite or Tomb Raider, but I don't have time at the moment to dig deeper.

Still doesn't answer the initial question I asked about moving MAS games to the storage drive. Heck, I might download one of the smaller games I have (Doom 3) and try it myself.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
That's good then. I hope the rest work out as planned. Sorry I was zero help with the main question. lol

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
OK, at least with Doom 3, downloading from the MAS to my SSD, then copying from the Applications directory to a folder on the HDD, and deleting the original file seems to work fine. The only minor issue is that I need to add the game back to launchpad manually. No big deal.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
OK, at least with Doom 3, downloading from the MAS to my SSD, then copying from the Applications directory to a folder on the HDD, and deleting the original file seems to work fine. The only minor issue is that I need to add the game back to launchpad manually. No big deal.

Most applications including games will work, but I believe there will be 2 drawbacks:

1. They will not be available in launchpad
2. Most important: MAS will not update them

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Most applications including games will work, but I believe there will be 2 drawbacks:

Not true. As long as the external drive is mounted, the MAS will find and update the apps saved there.

And who the hell uses Launchpad? ;)

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013

1. They will not be available in launchpad

Did you not read what I said in the post you quoted?

The only minor issue is that I need to add the game back to launchpad manually. No big deal.

Also, the MAS says the game is still installed, so it will not have an issue checking for updates. Not that I expect any of my games to be updated. They're all older titles (Doom 3, Jedi Knight, and a couple others).

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
And who the hell uses Launchpad? ;)

I like Launchpad although I do have all frequently used apps and current game(s) I am playing on the Dock. World of Warcraft lives on the Dock permanently. :D

I can't see using Finder as a better way. Is there some other more elegant way of organizing icons for all one's apps and games to fire them up when desired that I am unaware of?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I like Launchpad although I do have all frequently used apps and current game(s) I am playing on the Dock. World of Warcraft lives on the Dock permanently. :D

I can't see using Finder as a better way. Is there some other more elegant way of organizing icons for all one's apps and games to fire them up when desired that I am unaware of?

Another way is to put your app folder in your dock. But organizing icons is a waste of time, IMO. I find it far faster just to use spotlight.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Did you not read what I said in the post you quoted?

Also, the MAS says the game is still installed, so it will not have an issue checking for updates. Not that I expect any of my games to be updated. They're all older titles (Doom 3, Jedi Knight, and a couple others).

I did read the post, I was just listing down all the issues I had when moved many of my apps on an external disk to save space.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Another way is to put your app folder in your dock. But organizing icons is a waste of time, IMO. I find it far faster just to use spotlight.

That's a very good point. I do fiddle around organizing mine in Launchpad the way I like them but that is largely because I installed a ridiculous number of games and decided to group them by genre, etc.

I will try to remember to use Spotlight and see how I like that. I might miss gazing at all my pretty icons though!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
In Windows, I installed the Steam client directly on the optibay drive and downloaded a small game that's compatible with both operating systems (Peggle Deluxe) so I could ensure I have the complete folder hierarchy established. Then in OS X, I used a program called Source Finagler to create a symbolic link to the SteamApps directory on the optibay drive.

1. All games will download both sets of resources so for most games you will download both versions just store them in the same folder hierarchy. If the data is slightly different but uses the exact folder structure you will likely get some side effects.

2. It is very unlikely to save you HD space except in rare circumstances where the Mac and PC data is shared exactly on both platforms.

3. You shouldn't use that Source Finagler option just tell Steam on OS X where your library is. You don't need to hack this as Steam has the option built in.

4. Save game syncing (where the games support it) has nothing to do with how you install the data or libraries. Save games are stored in a different location and are synced between OS's using the cloud.

Cheers,

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.