Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cali shot doc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
Just saw that my mid 2010 MBP battery is saying "Service Battery". Does this mean my battery is starting to die and I need a new one?

If so how long will this battery last me? Is it something I should get fixed immediately? How much will it cost me? Is it worth fixing or is this a good excuse to get a new MBP?

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
Well check the battery health percentage using coconut battery if its above 70% you have enough of life if it is below that you still can use it till you find the battery time is getting to short. The replacement battery should cost you around $130. Its non user replacable so you will need to give it to an apple store to do it for you, however you can also order third party batteries for cheaper and install yourself but then again they may not provide that life that apple's battery gives.
And no it does not call for a new laptop unless the service battery warning issue is not with the battery but the logic board.

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
You don't need to replace immediately but keep an eye on it for sure. In my experience, battery life degrades pretty quickly once the Service Battery warning comes on. I think I went several months before finally replacing the battery.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Just saw that my mid 2010 MBP battery is saying "Service Battery". 1. Does this mean my battery is starting to die and I need a new one?

2. If so how long will this battery last me? 3. Is it something I should get fixed immediately? 4. How much will it cost me? 5. Is it worth fixing or is this a good excuse to get a new MBP?

I numbered your questions to make it easier to answer.

1. You should keep a close watch on your battery. LiPo batteries tend to swell up when they near their life's end, this could cause trouble with your trackpad not clicking, for instance. (apart from a battery life much shorter than when new, of course).

2. Impossible to say, unless you have a crystal ball lying around you could lend me. It could be years or it could be days. I've had my older 2008 say service battery for the last 2 years with no ill effects.

3. Not really, no, just keep a close watch on it (see #1).

4. $129 at the apple store, not that a quick search of Apple's well made website would've told you that.

5. That depends entirely on your very own definition of "worth it" and whether or not you have enough disposable income or would actually benefit from the newer machines. The mid 2010's are quite capable. Since you did not say what you actually use the computer for, your question is impossible to answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.