Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
I had to return my Speck cases for my two Macbook Airs (2010 and 2011) three times in less than 6 months (one twice). The corner edges of the base (closest to the esc and power keys) have cracked on the three I returned and the current one (so now four). Only one of the cases (two weeks old) has not cracked yet.

No, I have not dropped the Macs, and they all sit at home in my house so they are not even lugged around. The cracks start like stress cracks and after a few weeks they start to break.

The Apple store has been reasonably ok to replace them, although the one I replaced twice required some polite persuasion. I am worried about taking the other back the second time now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a shell style case similar to Speck that does not crack? Or at least last a reasonable time. I don't mind if it is a touch thicker, just as long as it is not so brittle.

I have seen that Moshi and Incipio make similar cases, but was wondering on peoples views from experience.

EDIT: Sorry, probably should have put the thread in buying tips.

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I had to return my Speck cases for my two Macbook Airs (2010 and 2011) three times in less than 6 months (one twice). The corner edges of the base (closest to the esc and power keys) have cracked on the three I returned and the current one (so now four). Only one of the cases (two weeks old) has not cracked yet.

No, I have not dropped the Macs, and they all sit at home in my house so they are not even lugged around. The cracks start like stress cracks and after a few weeks they start to break.

The Apple store has been reasonably ok to replace them, although the one I replaced twice required some polite persuasion. I am worried about taking the other back the second time now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a shell style case similar to Speck that does not crack? Or at least last a reasonable time. I don't mind if it is a touch thicker, just as long as it is not so brittle.

I have seen that Moshi and Incipio make similar cases, but was wondering on peoples views from experience.

EDIT: Sorry, probably should have put the thread in buying tips.

I wouldn't even bother with Speck cases. All they do is uglify the machine, add heat, and maybe protect from scratches. I also have seen my fair share of MacBook that had Speck cases on where debris got in and scratched it really badly on the bottom.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
I disagree with a few things you said, but I won't get of track. Do you know of any alternatives? Keep in mind that some of us have young kids, don't have heat issues and don't use the Air on a sandy beach.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I disagree with a few things you said, but I won't get of track. Do you know of any alternatives? Keep in mind that some of us have young kids, don't have heat issues and don't use the Air on a sandy beach.

http://www.incipio.com/cases/macboo...-11in-feather-ultralight-hard-shell-case.html

That is fine that you disagree. I am stating as a fact that the older cases were much more open and allowed debris to get in under the case and cause issues. Most peoples don't use their MacBooks on a beach but just day to day use could cause it. If you don't believe me, just have a look through Google.

As for the clips snapping, I can tell you Specks are prone to it. I am on my fourth on one of my MacBooks and it is always the bottom left clip. Try the Incipio as I tried it and it was pretty good.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
http://www.incipio.com/cases/macboo...-11in-feather-ultralight-hard-shell-case.html

That is fine that you disagree. I am stating as a fact that the older cases were much more open and allowed debris to get in under the case and cause issues. Most peoples don't use their MacBooks on a beach but just day to day use could cause it. If you don't believe me, just have a look through Google.

As for the clips snapping, I can tell you Specks are prone to it. I am on my fourth on one of my MacBooks and it is always the bottom left clip. Try the Incipio as I tried it and it was pretty good.

Yeah I was actually quite keen on the Incipio until I read this review.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicetruong/2012/12/03/rapid-review-5-popular-macbook-air-cases/

Any comments? Sounds a bit worrying.

Also if it has to adhere, is that only a one-off adherence? Can you re-attach? I occasionally take the base of the MBA off for fan and heatsink cleaning. Although that is only about once every 12 months.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yeah I was actually quite keen on the Incipio until I read this review.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicetruong/2012/12/03/rapid-review-5-popular-macbook-air-cases/

Any comments? Sounds a bit worrying.

Also if it has to adhere, is that only a one-off adherence? Can you re-attach? I occasionally take the base of the MBA off for fan and heatsink cleaning. Although that is only about once every 12 months.

Granted the iGlaze appears to be a good case. To be completely honest with you, any case you buy is going to crack from normal usage. They are exposed to heat and of course the clips are on the corners to make it most susceptible to damage. It isn't something you're doing but it is a fact with these cases. I would try looking at Overstock as you can buy 5 cases for the price of one Speck or Incipio case, and at the rate of which we all go through them, maybe that is the best option. I am not sure of the quality though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.