Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
Not sure if this topic goes here or in the Alternatives forum...I'll just leave this here. :)

I hated iOS 7 so much that in August/September, I sold my iPhone 5 and bought an HTC One Google play edition. I also wanted a bigger screen. The HTC One was a great phone, but started to have issues in November. Due to its low off-contract price, I bought a Nexus 5 to hold me over while I was getting Google to replace the HTC One, and ended up selling the warranty replacement One. The Nexus 5 lasted me through January, and was a great phone, but I saw a friend's Moto X, purchased on Black Friday, and thought his screen and features were better. Motorola had a fire sale in early February and I sold the Nexus 5 for a custom made Moto X...and really loving the Moto X. This whole time, I found myself getting used to iOS 7 on my iPad Air, and I also found my Android-wielding friends moving to iPhone 5s phones.

So here I am in March. I found a 32GB iPhone 5 on eBay very aggressively priced with a SquareTrade warranty, and I now own it. It had a lock button issue, but SquareTrade already fixed it and I got a warranty replacement. I still have the Moto X, still love it, and keep it around as a spare phone/gaming system (I'm sure I'll switch back and forth occasionally), but I have to say...it's good to be back.

I hope you enjoyed this story. If you have similar stories, please feel free to post them here.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I had a Motorola Razr prior to my iphone 4S. Like a poster above me, as of right now it works best for me. Especially with iMessage, FaceTime and Airplay with my other Apple devices and with friends and family who the majority have iOS devices.

At this moment I have no plans of going back to Android or using another OS but if something I genuinely feel is better comes out I'm going to get that.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I switched from an iPhone 4s to the HTC One. I really enjoyed the One and just about everything about it worked very well(except for the horrible camera), but unfortunately I dropped it and destroyed the screen. I had intended on holding out and picking up the Nexus 5, but it wasn't available when I needed a phone so I just bought an iPhone 5s.

My next phone will probably be another Android model. Most likely a Nexus phone unless they're not available.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
This isn't some type of cult. There's nothing to "defect" from. :apple:

On a serious note. I did go from the iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S3 for a brief period of time in early 2013, but I returned the phone and kept with my iPhone 4. I didn't find the Android ecosystem particularly useful for a personal communications device when most of my friends/relatives are on iOS.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm a tech enthusiastic ... In my house there are a galaxy s3, a galaxy s4, a Lumia 620 and an Acer tablet ..... but nothing compares to my iPhone/iPad.

They are just playing in another league ...

Ps: I'd like to try a Nexus 5.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I play (and pay) with too many gadgets. I have always had the latest iPhone and Nexus, regardless of what I promise myself otherwise. I truly feel that both of these two platforms are on the same playing field. Windows Phone is gaining ground in terms of features. I do wonder if they will ever gain much ground in market share though. They've just taken (and continue to take) too long to match the competition. They rested on their laurels with Windows Mobile while everyone else (read: Apple and Google) were innovating.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I like the iPhone, but I'm not locked to it. For a few weeks I was having real bad problems with my iPhone, Verizon offered to give me an HTC One for $50 plus a new 2 year contract (contract is up in Oct 2014) and I considered it. Apple replaced my iPhone again and so far no problems (*knocks on wood*).

I'll probably get the iPhone 6, but I won't lie Android has been looking very attractive lately. Stock Android, that is. None of that skin crap. That just screws it up. Unfortunately, the Google Play editions are unlocked for GSM carriers only. I don't plan to jump anytime soon from Verizon. Rooting would be the only way to go, but then I void the warranty.

I've used iPods and iPhones for years now. All my content is on iTunes, so its just easier to get the iPhone, but I don't treat it like a cult. I have some purchases from iTunes that date back to 8 years ago (2006) when I had my 1st Gen Shuffle/iPod Video. I've used iOS (back then, iPhone OS) since version 2.x and religiously (either via an iPod touch or iPhone) since version 3.x.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I'm not technically "back" yet, but I plan on returning to the iPhone when the new one comes out later this year.

For anyone that cares, here's my story:
My experience with iPhones started with the 4S. I then got an Android phone after that, but went back to my 4S. I was using Gingerbread and it was not very smooth. Android still needed some work. When the 5 came out, I upgraded to that. However I felt a little underwhelmed when the 5S came out. Touch ID is cool and all, but it didn't seem like enough to upgrade from my 5. I decided to take this time to explore other options. I first got a Nexus 4 and while Android is certainly much better than it used to be, it's not really my cup of tea. I spent more time tweaking than actually using it. WP looked interesting, so I got a Lumia 920 and that's what I'm currently using. I'm actually pretty happy with it. I really like the OS and it's nice and fluid like iOS is. The only reason I'm coming back to iOS is because Windows Phone is still missing a few key apps I need daily and I was hoping by now they would've been added. Unfortunately they haven't been and I don't see any indication by the developers that they will. Perhaps this will change when the 8.1 update comes out, but for now I'm planning to go back to iOS via the next iPhone. I'll still keep my 920 for dabbling, but I want an iPhone again as my daily driver.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I'm a tech enthusiastic ... In my house there are a galaxy s3, a galaxy s4, a Lumia 620 and an Acer tablet ..... but nothing compares to my iPhone/iPad.

They are just playing in another league ...

Ps: I'd like to try a Nexus 5.

You're a technophile too huh?
I've got just about every OS under my roof right now...

Sugarcubes

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2014
I had the iPhone 3G, and I was up for an upgrade in 2010. I was going to get an iPhone 4 but then the iOS 4 update came out and it was soooo awful that I completely lost faith in Apple and got a Samsung Captivate. It was a good phone, but it broke in December 2011, and I got an Atrix 2. I liked it but it got so slow and the battery got so bad to the point I decided just to get an iP5 in June.

So yep.

(But I do own a Nexus 7, and I love it so I don't really have any fanboy obsession w/ any OS)

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
I defected, but I'm back.

Android is great for a lot of people but iOS is just so good at delivering a consistent experience, from the UI to the performance. Android still has tons of inconsistencies in the UI and there are still apps from big time companies that STILL look like froyo/gingerbread..it just feels cheap and slapped together. It's so hard to find functional, beautiful apps on Android. iOS has Tweetbot, Android has the hideous Tweetcaster.

9TAEBro.jpg

MqPGQVZ.jpg

Pardon me while I suppress emesis. Apps like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc look good on Android but my main problem is a serious lack of beautiful alternatives. For instance, the default messages app on Android looks fine, but it's seriously lacking in features. Alternatives? Ugly or lacking functionality. GO SMS looked good and had functionality, but then it decided to start literally sending spam messages to me. So, had to drop that. Hangouts? Feels like it's in Alpha still. I could never send a MMS and the UI had some unnecessary flourishes. The messaging app on iOS is all I could ever need. Fast, sends picture messages without issue..never a single issue with it.

Android 5.0 needs to have core animation built in. 4.4 is nice, but why is my quad core 2012 Nexus 7 so bad? As mentioned: quad core, 1 GB ram, STOCK ANDROID, no bloat, not rooted, and it lags like an iPhone 4 on iOS 7. The tablet isn't even 2 years old. This is Android's biggest problem. Until they can solve that, I won't consider switching back.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
I like the iPhone, but I'm not locked to it. For a few weeks I was having real bad problems with my iPhone, Verizon offered to give me an HTC One for $50 plus a new 2 year contract (contract is up in Oct 2014) and I considered it. Apple replaced my iPhone again and so far no problems (*knocks on wood*).

I'll probably get the iPhone 6, but I won't lie Android has been looking very attractive lately. Stock Android, that is. None of that skin crap. That just screws it up. Unfortunately, the Google Play editions are unlocked for GSM carriers only. I don't plan to jump anytime soon from Verizon. Rooting would be the only way to go, but then I void the warranty.

I've used iPods and iPhones for years now. All my content is on iTunes, so its just easier to get the iPhone, but I don't treat it like a cult. I have some purchases from iTunes that date back to 8 years ago (2006) when I had my 1st Gen Shuffle/iPod Video. I've used iOS (back then, iPhone OS) since version 2.x and religiously (either via an iPod touch or iPhone) since version 3.x.

Haha Cult. "One of us! One of us! One of us!"

If you're thinking stock android with no skin, Moto X is a good sample of that. I'm keeping mine as a backup phone because it was only $350 off contract due to a fire sale they had, and having skinless versions of Android is what kept me with them for 6 months before ultimately coming back.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Not sure if this topic goes here or in the Alternatives forum...I'll just leave this here. :)

I hated iOS 7 so much that in August/September, I sold my iPhone 5 and bought an HTC One Google play edition. I also wanted a bigger screen. The HTC One was a great phone, but started to have issues in November. Due to its low off-contract price, I bought a Nexus 5 to hold me over while I was getting Google to replace the HTC One, and ended up selling the warranty replacement One. The Nexus 5 lasted me through January, and was a great phone, but I saw a friend's Moto X, purchased on Black Friday, and thought his screen and features were better. Motorola had a fire sale in early February and I sold the Nexus 5 for a custom made Moto X...and really loving the Moto X. This whole time, I found myself getting used to iOS 7 on my iPad Air, and I also found my Android-wielding friends moving to iPhone 5s phones.

So here I am in March. I found a 32GB iPhone 5 on eBay very aggressively priced with a SquareTrade warranty, and I now own it. It had a lock button issue, but SquareTrade already fixed it and I got a warranty replacement. I still have the Moto X, still love it, and keep it around as a spare phone/gaming system (I'm sure I'll switch back and forth occasionally), but I have to say...it's good to be back.

I hope you enjoyed this story. If you have similar stories, please feel free to post them here.

Nice story. But I have a question, since you obviously have been a forum member since 2010.

When you "defected" to Android, did you perchance take the opportunity to negatively criticize and bash/flame the other iOS loyalists here? And if you did…. then don't you think you owe them an apology?

Other than that welcome back, and I do hope you will enjoy the iPhone 6 (as I'm sure I probably will).

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
Nice story. But I have a question, since you obviously have been a forum member since 2010.

When you "defected" to Android, did you perchance take the opportunity to negatively criticize and bash/flame the other iOS loyalists here? And if you did…. then don't you think you owe them an apology?

Other than that welcome back, and I do hope you will enjoy the iPhone 6 (as I'm sure I probably will).

No I never did that...never would do that. You can check my past posts if you think otherwise, but I'm a good guy in real life so I highly doubt I would bash anyone in an Internet forum. I actually am not sure "defected" is the right word because I continued to support Apple and iOS through my iPad and MacBook Pro. I simply wanted more from my phone at the time (mainly a bigger screen). I even bought an iPad Air after going to Android.

And even though I came back, I am not bashing the Android loyalists either. I found the Moto X to be a great phone...good enough that it's staying in the house for now as a backup phone. I like both. My journey has just shown me that iOS is a better daily driver for me.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
No I never did that...never would do that. You can check my past posts if you think otherwise, but I'm a good guy in real life so I highly doubt I would bash anyone in an Internet forum. I actually am not sure "defected" is the right word because I continued to support Apple and iOS through my iPad and MacBook Pro. I simply wanted more from my phone at the time (mainly a bigger screen). I even bought an iPad Air after going to Android.

And even though I came back, I am not bashing the Android loyalists either. I found the Moto X to be a great phone...good enough that it's staying in the house for now as a backup phone. I like both. My journey has just shown me that iOS is a better daily driver for me.

Good to hear that from you.

The reason I brought it up is because you originally used the word "defect", which is a strong word that implies strong loyalty to one side (pro-Android, or pro-Apple) or the other. As we have seen in these forums, such 'defections' can turn ugly into name calling and insulting the other side's choices and preferences. In any case, it's good to hear you were above that.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Haha Cult. "One of us! One of us! One of us!"

If you're thinking stock android with no skin, Moto X is a good sample of that. I'm keeping mine as a backup phone because it was only $350 off contract due to a fire sale they had, and having skinless versions of Android is what kept me with them for 6 months before ultimately coming back.

Yeah I tried one at the VZW Store when I needed a SIM replacement. Nice sharp phone! I'm heard a lot of good things about it. I also noticed Verizon users can use the Moto builder. I'm curious to see what Lenovo does with Motorola.

Right now though, I'm saving up to fix up the Mac Pro I bought a month ago on a screaming deal at an e-recycler and buy the new iPhone (and maybe the iWatch?) later this year, so I probably won't buy a 2nd phone for a while.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Huh, apologize to the internet? Internet wins, it always does.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I have a Nexus 4. Don't plan on switching unless iOS8 has useful features for me and the next iPhone HAS A BIGGER SCREEN!

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I defected, but I'm back.

Android is great for a lot of people but iOS is just so good at delivering a consistent experience, from the UI to the performance. Android still has tons of inconsistencies in the UI and there are still apps from big time companies that STILL look like froyo/gingerbread..it just feels cheap and slapped together. It's so hard to find functional, beautiful apps on Android. iOS has Tweetbot, Android has the hideous Tweetcaster.

Pardon me while I suppress emesis. Apps like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc look good on Android but my main problem is a serious lack of beautiful alternatives. For instance, the default messages app on Android looks fine, but it's seriously lacking in features. Alternatives? Ugly or lacking functionality. GO SMS looked good and had functionality, but then it decided to start literally sending spam messages to me. So, had to drop that. Hangouts? Feels like it's in Alpha still. I could never send a MMS and the UI had some unnecessary flourishes. The messaging app on iOS is all I could ever need. Fast, sends picture messages without issue..never a single issue with it.

Android 5.0 needs to have core animation built in. 4.4 is nice, but why is my quad core 2012 Nexus 7 so bad? As mentioned: quad core, 1 GB ram, STOCK ANDROID, no bloat, not rooted, and it lags like an iPhone 4 on iOS 7. The tablet isn't even 2 years old. This is Android's biggest problem. Until they can solve that, I won't consider switching back.
Falcon Pro replaces Twitter nicely. Android has amazing looking apps, its not the play store that was the problem it was just you not actually looking

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Falcon Pro replaces Twitter nicely. Android has amazing looking apps, its not the play store that was the problem it was just you not actually looking

Falcon Pro is not even close to tweetbot in features. I tried almost every third party twitter app so don't accuse me of that. I'm just picky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.