Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I have read that Apple starts the 1 year coverage including 90 days phone assistance,
and accordingly if that information is correct, also the 3 year of an Apple Care Coverage Plan, the day the customer orders a nMP, not the day he receives it!!!
Since for this Apple product (unfortunately) 2 months can easily pass (and in some cases even more) from ordering a nMP until receiving it, that time cannot be part of any warranty for an item which not only is not in the hands of the buyer but isn't even built at the time of the order.
No warranty on earth can be applied to still unborn items. Any clause of that kind would be simply absurd and illegal.
Stealing coverage is stealing, no matter one presents it.
I read somewhere in this forum about a customer who bought his nMP through B&H in the USA and only thanks to this Apple reseller he had finally the coverage period changed, beginning with the actual delivery of his nMP, after initial efforts made by himself directly to Apple USA had brought no result.
I wouldn't mind a couple of days less of delivery time, but 2 months less coverage cannot be legal in any country in the world.
When my nMP arrives, maybe in April (I ordered it on the 1. March) or maybe in May... who knows, I hope I do not have to take legal measures against Apple to obtain that the coverage period should begin with the delivery, plus minus no more than a few days of the parcel being on the way to me.
Otherwise I would only have at the best 30 days of phone assistance instead of 90 officially offered by Apple and 10 months out of the 1 year automatic coverage period also indicated by Apple all through the Web and applied for many years now to any new Apple computer.
I wonder when the coverage has begun (when people give their serial number in the Apple special web site )
for the many readers in this forum who had already received their nMP.
Did it stated really it begun the day they ordered it...or has in the meantime Apple got reasonable and begins the coverage of any nMP at about the delivery date of the computer?
Thanks very much for your feed back in advance! This important matter concern many of us in this section of the forum.

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I have read that Apple starts the 1 year coverage including 90 days phone assistance,
and accordingly if that information is correct, also the 3 year of an Apple Care Coverage Plan, the day the customer orders a nMP, not the day he receives it!!!
Since for this Apple product (unfortunately) 2 months can easily pass (and in some cases even more) from ordering a nMP until receiving it, that time cannot be part of any warranty for an item which not only is not in the hands of the buyer but isn't even built at the time of the order.
No warranty on earth can be applied to still unborn items. Any clause of that kind would be simply absurd and illegal.
Stealing coverage is stealing, no matter one presents it.
I read somewhere in this forum about a customer who bought his nMP through B&H in the USA and only thanks to this Apple reseller he had finally the coverage period changed, beginning with the actual delivery of his nMP, after initial efforts made by himself directly to Apple USA had brought no result.
I wouldn't mind a couple of days less of delivery time, but 2 months less coverage cannot be legal in any country in the world.
When my nMP arrives, maybe in April (I ordered it on the 1. March) or maybe in May... who knows, I hope I do not have to take legal measures against Apple to obtain that the coverage period should begin with the delivery, plus minus no more than a few days of the parcel being on the way to me.
Otherwise I would only have at the best 30 days of phone assistance instead of 90 officially offered by Apple and 10 months out of the 1 year automatic coverage period also indicated by Apple all through the Web and applied for many years now to any new Apple computer.
I wonder when the coverage has begun (when people give their serial number in the Apple special web site )
for the many readers in this forum who had already received their nMP.
Did it stated really it begun the day they ordered it...or has in the meantime Apple got reasonable and begins the coverage of any nMP at about the delivery date of the computer?
Thanks very much for your feed back in advance! This important matter concern many of us in this section of the forum.

You register your Mac with Apple when you do the initial setup. That is when the warranty and service begins. Not when you order it. Applecare is the sameway.

You just made a mountain out of a mole hill.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You register your Mac with Apple when you do the initial setup. That is when the warranty and service begins. Not when you order it. Applecare is the sameway.

You just made a mountain out of a mole hill.

You are mistaken and the OP is right to be upset.

You are correct, it starts from the purchase date. Below quote from the Applecare FAQ here.

Your AppleCare Protection Plan and AppleCare+ coverage starts from your hardware purchase date.

See this article.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
You are mistaken and the OP is right to be upset.

You are correct, it starts from the purchase date. Below quote from the Applecare FAQ here.

See this article.

Yes but you don't actually PURCHASE the hardware until it ships do you? All you are doing right now is putting your order in. They don't charge (aka actually PURCHASE) until it ships.

With all that said, my warranty coverages always begin on the day I register it with Apple.

Again, this is a mole hill, NOT a mountain.

Edit: And look the second half of the article you linked to talked specifically about ordering from Apple and guess what? They didn't start his warranty until it shipped because that is when he "purchased" it....

Edit 2: I just checked on the warranty of my Macbook Air I bought last summer, I ordered it on the 11th of June and it shipped on the 14th and my warranty is good until June 13. That means they didn't count the the order to ship date as part as of my warranty.

Again, the mole hill here is the shipping to delivery.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Edit: And look the second half of the article you linked to talked specifically about ordering from Apple and guess what? They didn't start his warranty until it shipped because that is when he "purchased" it....

Understood. But it has nothing at all to do with registration. You could never register it at all and Applecare/warranty time will run if you bought Applecare direct from Apple at the time you purchase the Mac.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I am pretty sure that Paul is on the money from memory, so the issue of "losing two months of AppleCare" is a non-issue. I'll be able to confirm this next week.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
My nMP AppleCare started when it was shipped out not purchased. Standard with historical practice so should be a non issue for others who have waited months.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Edit 2: I just checked on the warranty of my Macbook Air I bought last summer, I ordered it on the 11th of June and it shipped on the 14th and my warranty is good until June 13. That means they didn't count the the order to ship date as part as of my warranty.

Mine is the same. It has nothing to do with when you register or registration at all.

I agree I should have been more clear on what "purchase date" means.

Agreed if it is a day or two, but I have seen threads here where delivery takes a couple weeks. Apple should have some way of accommodating this.

I am pretty sure that Paul is on the money from memory, so the issue of "losing two months of AppleCare" is a non-issue. I'll be able to confirm this next week.

Agreed.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Agreed if it is a day or two, but I have seen threads here where delivery takes a couple weeks. Apple should have some way of accommodating this.

I'm sure if it takes weeks, you could always call Apple and the representative will fix the issue. They should be able to follow the tracking on the package to see that it took an excessive amount of time.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
You are correct, it starts from the purchase date.

It starts when the machine ships, not when it was ordered. Here's a scan of the AppleCare documentation for the 4core nMP I ordered on launch day that shipped to us on January 17. I was not needlessly paying for Applecare while I waited for it to ship. There is no "gap" and Apple are doing things as you'd hope:

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Shipping date or arriving date?

It starts when the machine ships, not when it was ordered. Here's a scan of the AppleCare documentation for the 4core nMP I ordered on launch day that shipped to us on January 17. I was not needlessly paying for Applecare while I waited for it to ship. There is no "gap" and Apple are doing things as you'd hope:

[url=https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2827/12908928784_81630fc78f.jpg]

----------

[/COLOR]
Yes but you don't actually PURCHASE the hardware until it ships do you? All you are doing right now is putting your order in. They don't charge (aka actually PURCHASE) until it ships.

With all that said, my warranty coverages always begin on the day I register it with Apple.

Again, this is a mole hill, NOT a mountain.

"
"."..."..."...........".........................................".................................

I am in Europe. Since the nMP will be made and shipped from the USA and I have no idea how long it will take to reach me, again the question asked, although thanks God seems not a matter of months, as I read here from a customer of B&H (I did not make it up).
So, will it begin with the shipping from the USA or with the arrival to me?
Until I do not have it in my hands the coverage is a virtual thing for the buyer!

----------

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/macnuggetorg/12908928784/][url=https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2827/12908928784_81630fc78f.jpg]Image

I am in Europe. Since the nMP will be made and shipped from the USA and I have no idea how long it will take to reach me, again the question asked, although thanks God seems not a matter of months, as I read here from a customer of B&H (I did not make it up).
So, shipping date or arrival to the customer?
Until the customer does not have it any coverage is a virtual thing!

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Thank you in advance! Expecting your answer...

Thank you in advance for telling (when you receive the nMP), how big is the gap between "shipping" and arrival, which seems to be unavoidable unfortunately...

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I am in Europe. Since the nMP will be made and shipped from the USA and I have no idea how long it will take to reach me, again the question asked, although thanks God seems not a matter of months, as I read here from a customer of B&H (I did not made it up).
So, shipping date or arrival to the customer?
Until the customer does not have it any coverage is a virtual thing!
If Apple shipped its goods by truck to a seaport, and from thence by boat, you'd have major cause for concern. However, the goods go by air. I'd be surprised if you received your nMP more than two-three days later than someone in the U.S.

So, yes, you could consider that extra 3 days to be a less than 1% "tax on foreigners" for the basic one-year warranty, or around a 0.27% "tax" on a 3-year AppleCare plan.

The most common practice worldwide, with any kind of goods - wholesale or retail, is that ownership transfers when the goods depart the seller's premises. That is the effective date of purchase. That's the date when the seller no longer has control over the merchandise (it's in the hands of the shipping company). That's the point when risk passes from seller to buyer. It's been that way since the days of sail and horse carts.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
I ordered my nMP on December 20th and received it Thursday February 27th. I've had an enormously difficult time migrating my data from the MP 3,1 to the nMP. Between Friday, Saturday and Sunday I spent more than 6 hours on the phone with AppleCare first line support then a Senior Advisor who escalated my issue to the Apple Engineering team.

When I first called on Friday the 28th, I asked the AppleCare person whether they had my nMP in their system...indeed they did. I was told that my AppleCare coverage for the nMP began on Monday February 24th...the day my credit card was charged and the day it was shipped.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Is the risk in case of transport damage or loss a buyer's matter only?

If Apple shipped its goods by truck to a seaport, and from thence by boat, you'd have major cause for concern. However, the goods go by air. I'd be surprised if you received your nMP more than two-three days later than someone in the U.S.

So, yes, you could consider that extra 3 days to be a less than 1% "tax on foreigners" for the basic one-year warranty, or around a 0.27% "tax" on a 3-year AppleCare plan.

The most common practice worldwide, with any kind of goods - wholesale or retail, is that ownership transfers when the goods depart the seller's premises. That is the effective date of purchase. That's the date when the seller no longer has control over the merchandise (it's in the hands of the shipping company). That's the point when risk passes from seller to buyer. It's been that way since the days of sail and horse carts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not convinced at all that what you say applies to an individual buyer who buys from a commercial company although it may be the case for an importing company buying from another company (and to some extent to trading among 2 private persons).
If I buy directly any Apple device in any shop, or order it in case they do not have in stock, they will offer a warranty, usually in written form, beginning at the moment they can deliver it. If it takes for them a long time to receive it, this will change nothing. If the goods are lost or destroyed before they can be delivered to them and then to me, the selling company will re-order it for me since I am not an importer but the final customer.
By ordering a nMP or any other appliance, I do not act as a dealer or importer but as a final customer of a commercial dealer, in this case Apple.
If the goods are shipped by Apple for instance in the USA, and the carrying vessel sinks or the cargo plane crashes, according to your "ancient" wisdom, although I am not an importer, the loss would be mine and Apple should argue that they had no more "control" over the goods once delivered to the carrier. (Your argument).
What kind of control HAD I... over the goods until I received them?
NONE AT ALL!
Therefore, if I had be an importer, I would make a transport insurance in case of loss or damage.
But being a customer of an importer, the importer, in this case Apple, carries all responsibility over the safe delivery of the goods to the buyer.
Any conflict with the carrier in case of loss or damage is a problem of Apple, not of the buyer.
Accordingly, the 1 year coverage and the 3 year Apple Care Plan should in all fairness begin at the exact moment the final customer receives the goods and is responsible for taking appropriate care of it to avoid loss or damage.
The rules applied to trading among merchants are certainly not identical to those applicable to a private customer buying goods from a dealer or importer.
I am not a lawyer but highly doubt that a nMP I bought, lost or damaged between its shipping in the USA and its final delivery to my hands might be MY PROBLEM, which would be the case if it's enough for Apple to wash their hands of the whole matter since they are no longer "in control" of the goods once shipped, as you argue.
That would only make sense if I am the owner of the carrier as well as the buyer of the goods!
I therefore assume that the transport insurance is made by Apple which means that the goods are still under Apple's entire responsibility and not mine.
A couple of days lost in coverage might be a minor coverage inconvenience, I agree (unless the device breaks just then!), but in this complicated world of us strikes, storms and even wars are real matters!
I have read in this forum posts of people complaining over weeks of delay in receiving their nMP although they were in the USA where it is built.
So let's not over simplify and confound commercial laws among dealers and/or importers (or sales of goods between 2 persons) with those ruling sales from dealers and importers to final private customers. They are certainly not identical!

Last edited:

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not convinced at all that what you say applies to an individual buyer although it may be the case for an importing company.
If I buy directly any Apple device in any shop, or order it in case they do not have in stock, they will offer a warranty, usually in written form, beginning at the moment they can deliver it. If it takes for them a long time to receive it, this will change nothing. If the goods are lost or destroyed before they can be delivered to them and then to me, the selling company will re-order it for me since I am not an importer but the final customer.
By ordering a nMP or any other appliance, I do not act as a dealer or importer but as a final customer of a commercial dealer, in this case Apple.
If the goods are shipped by Apple for instance in the USA, and the carrying vessel sinks or the cargo plane crashes, according to your "ancient" wisdom, although I am not an importer, the loss would be mine and Apple should argue that they had no more "control" over the goods once delivered to the carrier. (Your argument).
What kind of control HAD I... over the goods until I received them?
NONE AT ALL!
Therefore, if I had be an importer, I would make a transport insurance in case of loss or damage.
But being a customer of an importer, the importer, in this case Apple, carries all responsibility over the safe delivery of the goods to the buyer.
Any conflict with the carrier in case of loss or damage is a problem of Apple, not of the buyer.
Accordingly, the 1 year coverage and the 3 year Apple Care Plan should in all fairness begin at the exact moment the final customer receives the goods and is responsible for taking appropriate care of it to avoid loss or damage.
The rules applied to trading among merchants are certainly not identical to those applicable to a private customer buying goods from a dealer or importer.
I am not a lawyer but highly doubt that a nMP I bought, lost or damaged between its shipping in the USA and its final delivery to my hands might be MY PROBLEM, which would be the case if it's enough for Apple to wash their hands of the whole matter since they are no longer "in control" of the goods once shipped, as you argue.
That would only make sense if I am the owner of the carrier as well as the buyer of the goods!
I therefore assume that the transport insurance is made by Apple which means that the goods are still under Apple's entire responsibility and not mine.
A couple of days lost in coverage might be a minor coverage inconvenience, I agree (unless the device breaks just then!), but in this complicated world of us strikes, storms and even wars are real matters!
I have read in this forum posts of people complaining over weeks of delay in receiving their nMP although they were in the USA where it is built.
So let's not over simplify and confound commercial laws among dealers and/or importers with those ruling sales from dealers and importers to final private customers. They are certainly not identical!

How many times do you need to be told!

AppleCare will start when your order is SHIPPED!

Numerous people in this thread have told you this. It doesn't mean diddly squat that you are not in the USA. The date that your order ships is the date the the AppleCare will start.

You will not get longer coverage by it starting later anyway. So what is the fuss about. It'll only be covered until 3 years after it ships so your are making a fuss over nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
How many times do you need to be told!

AppleCare will start when your order is SHIPPED!

Numerous people in this thread have told you this. It doesn't mean diddly squat that you are not in the USA. The date that your order ships is the date the the AppleCare will start.

You will not get longer coverage by it starting later anyway. So what is the fuss about. It'll only be covered until 3 years after it ships so your are making a fuss over nothing.

Absolutely not true.

You can request AppleCare to have the AppleCare coverage start when you receive your Mac. I received my Mac on Feb 24th at my local Apple Store. It was shipped around a week earlier to the store. When picking up my Mac I asked them to contact Apple to ensure my AppleCare started Feb 24th, and they did so without any fuss.

My AppleCare coverage displays as starting Feb 24, 2014 and ending Feb 24, 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.