Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mustafu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014

Hi all, new iPhone user here. I acquired a new to me iPhone 5 by trading my new Moto X for it, but I have a question regarding Applecare. Seller stated to me that ACare+ coverage was in force, and I looked it up online. Does this information mean I could get a replacement for $79 or whatever the going rate is? Phone does have some minor cosmetic flaws, but good screen, questionable battery. Does AppleCare+ follow the device or the owner? Thanks for your help! :D

Attachments

• iPhone5.jpg
    iPhone5.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 109

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay

Hi all, new iPhone user here. I acquired a new to me iPhone 5 by trading my new Moto X for it, but I have a question regarding Applecare. Seller stated to me that ACare+ coverage was in force, and I looked it up online. Does this information mean I could get a replacement for $79 or whatever the going rate is? Phone does have some minor cosmetic flaws, but good screen, questionable battery. Does AppleCare+ follow the device or the owner? Thanks for your help! :D

AppleCare follows the phone. So yes, if you wanted to pay the $79 you can get a refurbished phone.

If it has a sketchy battery, you could possibly get it swapped out for free. Take a trip down to your Apple Store, doesn't hurt.

mustafu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
AppleCare follows the phone. So yes, if you wanted to pay the $79 you can get a refurbished phone.

If it has a sketchy battery, you could possibly get it swapped out for free. Take a trip down to your Apple Store, doesn't hurt.

Nearest Apple store is nearly 2 hours away. Is this a luck of the draw when it comes to free replacements? If it depends on the generosity of the genius I get then I guess I can wait until spring gets here and pay. Do the refurbs come with new batteries?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
When it comes to battery they test it but if you were to drop and damage the phone then yes you get it swapped. I am in no way saying that's the right thing to do tho.

mustafu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
Thanks for the replies. Think my visit is going to get moved up, battery went from 100 to 18% in only 5.5 hrs with moderate usage and phone is warm to the touch.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Actually, its $50 since the AppleCare was bought before the rate increase after 5s. I'm in the same category.

Just call AppleCare, speak to the admins and have them transfer the coverage into your name. I've done it before when I sold my iPad 2. Just gave them the info on how to do it and it worked great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.