Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Its Android of course it will.

Apple back in 2011 used to show that iPad has the most marketshare.

Now they don't and instead show most web usage.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
So the most "popular" tablet is "android", that sounds like a financially lucrative business to be in and I will be investing my entire portfolio in Huawei and Walgreens, thanks for the tip!

<lights cigar with $100 bill>

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
More sold does not mean it's better - far from it!

I have had a chance to experience the galaxy note 10.1 2014 and the new galaxy pro 8.4 for about 1 full week. This is because one of my family member's husband works for you know who, Samsuck. I also own a note 3 and having it rooted, I'd never buy another iPhone with iOS 7 again.

Anyway, there is no way in hell I would buy a galaxy tab or any android tablet over an ipad. #1 reason are the apps - there are just too many quality rich multimedia apps on the ipad and optimized for the ipad, no android tablet comes close.

#2 reason is the fact that compared to my ipad AIR, side by side, the web browsing on iOS 7.1B5 is just faster than any of my qualcomm quad core devices tested on. Android phones are just awesome - but tablets are another story. Dual core A7 with apple's own IOS just so good it really makes having quad core silly; especially when software doesn't even really use up the quad core performance so even having so much specs really isn't 'that great.

#3 reason is the quality of the device - the screens on the note 8.4 and note 10.1 2014 is just spectacular but it's also a "meh" comparison to an ipad retina. At the normal distances, it's a moot point.

#4 The battery life on the air is just phenomenal. The note 8.4 doesn't last more than 7-8 hours, pushing 9 hours tops if I have everything at minimum (backlight, etc)

The best part about these samsung tablets are the fact the 10.1 2014 uses usb 3.0 for faster charging, both allow microSD memory cards and the cameras are really great. They also have flash on back. The software is android and of course there are a bunch of great android phone apps but the tablet app space is just pathetic.

One big thing about apple's ipad is the fact if you have kids, it's just the best device because not only are there a ton of apps for them to learn and play with, there is the "guided access" mode on iOS in which I can lock and prevent kids from messing with things. The restrictions are also fantastic on an ipad and you can prevent deletion of apps, etc. With the android, there isn't anything like this in sight. Rooting is one thing but out of the box, the ipad is just superior.

On paper, these tablets blow the iPad Air out of the water with specs alone but seriously using them extensively, you will see the iPad Air is just substantially better. I would never recommend an android tablet regardless of pricing over an iPad Air.

Edit: There is one thing that I wished iOS 8 will have. That is the power to multitask a messaging app or web browsing app Because I reallly like how my note 3 can float an app on top of any full screen app running. I don't expect to multitask like on my laptop, but being able to message while surfing the web or a video is just great on an android device (samsung that is).

flybub

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
Android is too general. There are many manufacturers of Android tablets compared to 1 manufacturer if ios tablets. My kids have tablets made by RCA that my wife and I paid $40 each for. I would certainly hope that Android would outsell the iPad. Now take Samsung against apple or Asus against apple. That's a comparison.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
Why should this be surprising? Apple lit the market on fire with the iPad and then stuck to their guns of doing just one premium tablet a year (and now 2)..Others took the concept, used the OS and started offering the tablet expereince at all price points..Some of these are so low cost that one can buy 2-3( for the entire family) instead of one middle spec iPad air. The market is too large for a 2 tablet a year company (design house) to control majority share. Its just that simple! When the market was growing (thanks to apple) and developing apple could do both (introduce 1 or 2 models per year and control market share) not anymore!

I think apple can infact take a lot of the market share back from android if it identifies new partners and comes up with a more affordable line of tablets that are easier to produce for production houses that do not do apple's premium products..An iPad mini -C for example that is "unapologetically plastic" is simpler to build yet does not compromise on quality (quality comes from having the same internals as the regular mini, having the same rich software and ecosystem)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
#3 reason is the quality of the device - the screens on the note 8.4 and note 10.1 2014 is just spectacular but it's also a "meh" comparison to an ipad retina. At the normal distances, it's a moot point.

My Nexus 7 had a 'retina' before the iPad mini. Look great and for less money.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
My Nexus 7 had a 'retina' before the iPad mini. Look great and for less money.

Advantages of scale my friend..Google would have run into the same supply trouble for their device had they looked to produce the volumes apple intended to for the mini..In fact this is also an issue with the current mini-retina model, despite making screen compromises compared to its bigger brother, apple can still not produce enough to its liking..The projected demand for apple devices is so huge that its tough to nail down supply contracts and that is precisely why apple is investing huge sums of money into engineers and supply side staff in china and taiwan..

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
If Apple gets their act together and start allowing for multiple BT devices to link (like say a mouse and MFi Game controllers, along with more than 6 games that can actually use the controller!) I would only buy iPads. Having some sort of file directory access would be the icing on the cake, and clinch the deal for me, but until these things occur, the iPad is little more than a media consumption device.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Considering the tablet market is no different that the mobile phone market (many OEMs using Android vs. only Apple using iOS), it was only a matter of time. Nobody should really be surprised by this.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
Considering the tablet market is no different that the mobile phone market (many OEMs using Android vs. only Apple using iOS), it was only a matter of time. Nobody should really be surprised by this.

exactly. android isn't used by just one company, making it an unfair comparison.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Gartner: Android passes iOS to become the most popular tablet platform

Haha I bought a 50 dollar tablet for my 4 yr old, does that count as well. Android has many junk tablets on the market, just to make the numbers swell, this article is click bait.

khha4113

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
exactly. android isn't used by just one company, making it an unfair comparison.
I don't recall Apple has ever licensed its own OS to any OEM like Microsoft or Google. In fact, they sued whoever trying to clone theirs (Psystar). It's their choice so I'd say it's a fair comparison.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
I don't recall Apple has ever licensed its own OS to any OEM like Microsoft or Google. In fact, they sued whoever trying to clone theirs (Psystar). It's their choice so I'd say it's a fair comparison.

Fair comparison for perhaps a forum or message board. Its a very poor metric (not totally irrelevant) to measure the business strategy and MO of each company. Android is all about marketshare for a company more interested in a dominant position in mobile computing for its core business..iOS is a Software for a company that only wants to compete in the highest segment of the tablet market. If apple's market share in the $300+ segment of the market were falling, they'd be worried..If they are holding a strong position over there, then they are essentially doing everything right..

I do agree however that apple needs to seriously think about expanding its tablet lineup beyond the iPad Air (Bigger screen, file system etc) and perhaps look at a more affordable "high end" tablet rather then a lowered price "previous gen" tablet. The iPhone C model applied to the iPad Mini and iPad Air would really boost sales in my opinion especially if they can contract those products out to other newer firms..

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
One of the biggest issues with Android device whether it is the phones or the tablets:

you can get into boot recovery mode and wipe out the device easily. There is no way to prevent this and this just sucks. Sure you will have to know the recovery sequence when booting but it's still terrible way to lose all your data and mess up your device.

With iOS 7 and the iPad/iPhone, at least with activation lock, you can't do much else.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
One big thing about apple's ipad is the fact if you have kids, it's just the best device because not only are there a ton of apps for them to learn and play with, there is the "guided access" mode on iOS in which I can lock and prevent kids from messing with things. The restrictions are also fantastic on an ipad and you can prevent deletion of apps, etc. With the android, there isn't anything like this in sight.

Err what? Guided Access is so limited on iPad it is not funny. It is a completely half-arsed implementation of access controls and falls WELL short of Android.

What do I do on Android? I create the child an extra user, and then I can choose exactly the apps I want them to be able to see and access. It's a much more flexible model.

----------

Advantages of scale my friend..Google would have run into the same supply trouble for their device had they looked to produce the volumes apple intended to for the mini..

The lack of Retina on the first iPad mini had nothing to do with screen supplies and had everything to do with Apple greed. At that point they couldn't put the retina display in there and still have their ludicrous profit margins on the device.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
The lack of Retina on the first iPad mini had nothing to do with screen supplies and had everything to do with Apple greed. At that point they couldn't put the retina display in there and still have their ludicrous profit margins on the device.

How do you know it had nothing to do with screen supplies? Production at that scale has tradeoffs..What sollutions would apple have gotten for the 2012 retina screen on the mini? What suppliers? What timelines and how much would all of this had a delay on both launch date, availability and production ramp up. These are questions that folks that do make the tradeoff constantly have to address especially when the demand for these things is so high..When the 2012 ipad mini and ipad went on sale apple sold 3 million of them in 3 days..How much lower would that number had been had a retina mini delayed production ramp up? Now go beyond 3 days to the first quarter (Most important holiday quarter for apple)... Even in late 2013 apple couldn't get retina ipads out the door fast enough . No one in the business is producing tablets at the pace of apple and that puts a considerable logistical burden on the supply side..Samsung is no2 and their make they own screens....Apple needs to address this big time, especially given its volumes and the growth year on year...Devices are being held up due to supply side issues, whether that was touch id holding up iPhone 5S ramp up, or retina screens holding up retina-mini..Guess this is why apple is going on a hiring binge for its design and production duties in Asia..

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
It pretty obvious that Apple ipads are over-priced and is not value for money compared to Android tablets. Previously Apple can tout it eco-system etc etc as premium over Android but buyers are not biting anymore esp with the fact that you can get a better-speced Android at half the price.

This reminds me of once-a-upon-a-time many people were willing to pay a price premium for a Sony TV eventhough those TVs were equal/lower spec-ed compared to others. This business model has virtually obliterated Sony TV division today. Will Apple follow suits? Looking at the statistics (where Android/others gaining market share and Apple losing share) quarter after quarter for the last many years, Apple seems to be heading that same direction.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
Looking at the statistics (where Android/others gaining market share and Apple losing share) quarter after quarter for the last many years, Apple seems to be heading that same direction.

And those statistics (tablet) have little relevence to apple's story..Show me a statistic that only takes into account the categories apple competes in, and if those numbers are looking bad then i'd be worried..Apple does not make a 50$ iPad, or a 100$ ipAD or a 150$ iPad..They do not compete in that price point, and that is where android has a virtual monopoly..Apple does however compete with 2 premium devices every year and it just had its best quarter in the history of its tablet business selling 26 million iPads despite having a supply issue with the mini..

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
It pretty obvious that Apple ipads are over-priced and is not value for money compared to Android tablets. Previously Apple can tout it eco-system etc etc as premium over Android but buyers are not biting anymore esp with the fact that you can get a better-speced Android at half the price.

This reminds me of once-a-upon-a-time many people were willing to pay a price premium for a Sony TV eventhough those TVs were equal/lower spec-ed compared to others. This business model has virtually obliterated Sony TV division today. Will Apple follow suits? Looking at the statistics (where Android/others gaining market share and Apple losing share) quarter after quarter for the last many years, Apple seems to be heading that same direction.

bwahahahaha...

I bought a Nexus 7... never again. That is not to say that I did not also own a Retina Mini at the same time.

Apple sales are still growing, and their profits are dominating all other companies. You don't hear about Apple being in crisis mode b/c their sales and profits are plummeting as you do from companies like Sony, Samsung, LG, and HTC, hmmm, there's something about those last 4 companies, but I can't put my finger on it.

In anycase, it's a little concerning b/c even though Android has this huge marketshare, great products like the Z2 and HTC One may not have a future b/c they just aren't generating the money close to what Apple is.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
How do you know it had nothing to do with screen supplies?

I know it had nothing to do with screen supplies in the exact same way you know it had everything to do with screen supplies. :rolleyes:

Of course the significant increase in cost of the retina mini supports my claim that they couldnt include the retina screen at the original price point. No way does the better SoC alone account for that price hike.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.