Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmeister

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Hi,

I have multiple accounts setup in mail, and one of them is an @mydomain.com for a hosted website. Because there a lot of limitations with space for hosted email accounts, i have also setup a gmail (mydomain@gmail.com) to periodically collect all of the mail from the hosted account, thereby keeping the account clear.

What i want to do in Mail is to automatically have ALL outgoing mail for both accounts send from the @mydomain.com address. Obviously this works for the hosted account, but not for the gmail account - i would have to use the drop down menu to change the address and because i'm human, i sometimes forget to do that...

I thought that changing the outgoing mail server of the gmail account to the same as the hosted account would work, but apparently not - in testing it still said the mail was received from gmail...

Does anyone know if this is possible?
Thanks for your help!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
You can set the reply-to on a message-by-message basis by turning on the reply-to field with View > Reply To Address Field.

There's no UI method to make that automatic, but this article describes a terminal method. I've not tried it so don't know if it works with Mavericks.

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
I think you can control the default account for outgoing mail in Mail>Preferences>Composing. Under Addressing, select Send New Messages From and choose the desired @mydomain.com address.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I think you can control the default account for outgoing mail in Mail>Preferences>Composing. Under Addressing, select Send New Messages From and choose the desired @mydomain.com address.

That affects new messages, but replies default to using the account that the original message came in to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.