Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LemPh

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
Does anyone know the weekly/monthly fee for a data-only prepaid simcard in the US? I'm looking for a 1 or 2 GB plan.
Even 3G only, 4G is not required.
Every answers is appreciated :)

MatsSkoe

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2013
Last week I read something about https://yourkarma.com. It's a WiFi hotspot which makes use of mobile networks (also 4G).

What I understood it was best for people traveling in the mayor cities in the USA without data subscriptions. Maybe worth looking into?

LemPh

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
Last week I read something about https://yourkarma.com. It's a WiFi hotspot which makes use of mobile networks (also 4G).

What I understood it was best for people traveling in the mayor cities in the USA without data subscriptions. Maybe worth looking into?

That's great!
http://goredpocket.com/red-pocket-4g-mobile-internet-sim.html

I don't need a WiFi hotspot actually, so I can buy the card for 9.99$ (which is great) and use it in my iPad :)

----------

Yes, it worth for sure. Thank you.

koerk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
We are going to travel the western US in June and I am looking for a 30 day data plan as well.

We don't have a cellular iPad so my iPhone will be the device of choice for that sim.

Does the above mentioned data only plan work with my iPhone 5?

quamsi

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
We are going to travel the western US in June and I am looking for a 30 day data plan as well.

We don't have a cellular iPad so my iPhone will be the device of choice for that sim.

Does the above mentioned data only plan work with my iPhone 5?

If you get the right size SIM it should work in any device. Call Redpocket with questions, they have good customer service. (no, don't work for them. ;) )

koerk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
Data-only simcard, 1GB or more (United States)

Okay, that means if I would call or text with said sim, how would I pay for that? Or won't that work at all?

Can someone tell me how their coverage is. We will mainly travel national parks and avoid big cities most of the time.

Thanks for your help

quamsi

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
Okay, that means if I would call or text with said sim, how would I pay for that? Or won't that work at all?

Can someone tell me how their coverage is. We will mainly travel national parks and avoid big cities most of the time.

Thanks for your help

Redpocket uses ATT's network. Not sure about coverage in parks, but its good coverage where I live in Florida. The plan I linked to is data only, no cell minutes, so more for tablets or a hotspot. But they do have prepaid cell phone plans, all of which include a little data.

koerk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
Thanks again!

I actually only care about data because that's what Wochenende are going to need on our trip. So, will this sim work with a phone?!

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Was looking at their site and they appear to also have prepaid sims that include phone, texts and data for use in iPhones.

LemPh

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
Thanks again!

I actually only care about data because that's what Wochenende are going to need on our trip. So, will this sim work with a phone?!

It should work without issues. Just get a nano SIM card.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Just a heads up, AT&T does recognize Apple devices based on IMEI and they're pretty strict on which devices can be used with certain plans. If you get the data only plan from Red Pocket, there's a possibility that it won't work on your iPhone (or if it works initially, it might stop working after a while).

LemPh

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
Just a heads up, AT&T does recognize Apple devices based on IMEI and they're pretty strict on which devices can be used with certain plans. If you get the data only plan from Red Pocket, there's a possibility that it won't work on your iPhone (or if it works initially, it might stop working after a while).

Even if I bought it outside US?
WTH, why does AT&T care about WHERE I want to use my data card? :eek:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Even if I bought it outside US?
WTH, why does AT&T care about WHERE I want to use my data card? :eek:
Hmm, I actually have no idea if AT&T can recognize IMEI for international iPhones. If not, consider yourself lucky. Yes, the policy is extremely backwards. Unfortunately, their network, their rules.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Best plan we could find is Red Pocket 1 GB data only for $10 (4G):

http://goredpocket.com/plans#gsmt-mi

This is what my husband and I use and we are happy campers.

Another vote with thumbs up for Red Pocket. Works great and super fast

----------

Redpocket uses ATT's network. Not sure about coverage in parks, but its good coverage where I live in Florida. The plan I linked to is data only, no cell minutes, so more for tablets or a hotspot. But they do have prepaid cell phone plans, all of which include a little data.

No they use T Mobile

LemPh

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
Hmm, I actually have no idea if AT&T can recognize IMEI for international iPhones. If not, consider yourself lucky. Yes, the policy is extremely backwards. Unfortunately, their network, their rules.

Ok. I got it. Do they have dedicated plans for iPad?

----------

Another vote with thumbs up for Red Pocket. Works great and super fast

----------

No they use T Mobile

Do you know anything about it? Should you know if I can use it in my iPad? :)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Ok. I got it. Do they have dedicated plans for iPad?
Is that for an iPad with built-in cellular data? If so, the Red Pocket 1GB plan your looked at earlier works on the iPad (which is a data-only device).

LemPh

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
Is that for an iPad with built-in cellular data? If so, the Red Pocket 1GB plan your looked at earlier works on the iPad (which is a data-only device).

Yes, I am not planning about using it in a phone. iPad only!

LemPh

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
What iPad would you be using it in ?

The prepay plans for the major carriers.

Oh that is a great link :)
I have a 4th generation iPad. It has 4G, I know. However I do not need that speed as I'll use it mostly for maps and browsing.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Oh that is a great link :)
I have a 4th generation iPad. It has 4G, I know. However I do not need that speed as I'll use it mostly for maps and browsing.

Others can correct me but I believe that the 4rth gen cellular iPad was specific to a carrier (i.e. you are limited to what carriers you can use). What carrier is your iPad tied to ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.