Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following yesterday's announcement of Apple's new CarPlay iOS vehicle integration and the release of promotional materials from launch partners Volvo and Mercedes-Benz, more details are arriving today with Apple participating in Ferrari's launch at the Geneva Motor Show.

joswiak_ferrari_carplay.jpg
Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo and Apple vice president Greg Joswiak at Ferrari booth
As shared by macprime.ch [Google Translate], Apple's iOS marketing chief Greg Joswiak joined Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo to introduce CarPlay integration with the Ferrari FF. Apple representatives were also on hand to provide demos of CarPlay, with Engadget sharing a video walkthrough of CarPlay's features.
The first thing we noticed is how speedy everything is. Apps load quickly, and Siri's contextual algorithms hastily recognized our voice commands and responded appropriately. Apple has also implemented safety features to ensure services do not draw your attention away from the road and push forward its "hands-free" theme. For example, when we sent or received a message from a contact, Siri would only read the message back to us and we never once got the chance to see its contents.
For its part, Mercedes-Benz has released a seven-minute B-roll overview video, shared by iFun.de. While the clips are repetitive and disjointed as they are meant to be edited together for promotional purposes as needed, the video shows how the system can be controlled without directly touching the screen, using a combination of Siri and a physical control knob.

Finally, Jalopnik has a hands-on video of Volvo's CarPlay implementation. While the video is of fairly poor quality, it does show somewhat better responsiveness than seen in the Ferrari.

Apple has promised new CarPlay-compatible vehicles from a number of manufacturers in 2014, including Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, and Volvo, with a dozen other manufacturers signed on as partners with unspecified launch timeframes.

Article Link: New Demo Videos Show CarPlay in Action as Apple VP Greg Joswiak Attends Ferrari Launch

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Good we have to see a guy getting into a car 3 times.
This seems like a non-edited version.

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Upset Wife?

"Honey?"

"Yah??"

"I just got a new app for my iPhone..."

"Ok... how much?"

"$75,000..."

The Mercedes App... now available on the app store (and local dealership)

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
Just in case you missed it, he gets in the car. And in case you missed the next part, he plugs in his phone. Did we just get every shot they took for this video?

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Wow - what a horrible video - I couldn't even watch it to the end. All this awkward silences, repetitions and robotic voice (from the 'driver' and siri) .... Siri sounded more human than the driver

So cold, so not likable .... just bad

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Sort of strange seeing a variant of iOS being controlled with a click-wheel!

Kitman

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2007
Creepy.....

"I won't be home until late........... you better start running......."

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Wow, a fast Ferrari and such a slow/unsnappy UI. That looks like it feels like the same slow response as I have my in current Japanese car. Better some tweaking will be done before shipment starts (not to me, anyways)

I like the idea but seems not yet on Apple level

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This is like the most awkward video ever...

Just sat through that video and I have to agree. That was a bit painful.

Edit - just watched the Ferrari video via the link and that made it look a bit better. The moral of this story, buy a Ferrari and not a Mercedes. :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.