Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Driving to work on the freeway today I see a black flash go by the passenger windows. I look in my rear-view mirror and see my iPad Air blasted by at least 5 cars. I had placed it on my cowl of my truck-near the passenger side of the windshield, while loading the car before work. It made it through 3 miles of city streets, gas station, on ramp and didn't come off until about 2 miles into the freeway. If anything can make you feel like a complete moron, this is it.

Last edited:

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Driving to work on the freeway today I see a black flash go by the passenger windows. I look in my rear-view mirror and see my iPad Air blasted by at least 5 cars before it turns into about 20 pieces spread on the freeway. I had placed it on my hood of my truck-near the windshield, while loading the car before work. It made it through 3 miles of city streets, gas station, on ramp and didn't come off until about 2 miles into the freeway. If anything can make you feel like a complete moron, this is it.

Ouch! Did you go back and try to collect the pieces to see what it looks like on the inside?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I'd love to see the faces at the Genius Bar if all the pieces were gathered together and dumped in a neat little pile in front of them with an innocent, quizzical, "can you fix this?".

bpbatch

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2010
••this post has been deleted by the author***

Last edited:

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Ouch! Did you go back and try to collect the pieces to see what it looks like on the inside?

No. There is almost no shoulder on this section and it is always busy. I will go by tomorrow, but the pieces are probably dust by now.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
I'd love to see the faces at the Genius Bar if all the pieces were gathered together and dumped in a neat little pile in front of them with an innocent, quizzical, "can you fix this?".

Yes. I could say, for some reason my wifi range is very limited now..

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
..so i'm assuming it passed the 'will it blend' test on the freeway?

R.I.P. :(

March forth.

I'll pour one out for the pad.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Did you purchase with a credit card within the past 90 days? If so a lot of them cover accidental damage.

Unfortunately no. I have not recovered it either. It was in multiple pieces when I lost sight,

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Gentlemen, we can rebuild the iPad Air. We have the ability. We have the technology. We can make the iPad Air stronger, faster than it has ever been. The world's first bionic iPad Air.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i5zn-mF2-_8

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Man, that really stinks. Sorry that it happened to you OP.

Thanks. It was a gift from my pops. I can't bear to tell him. I went out and got a replacement. They were on sale at BB. $75 off. Man I feel stupid.

----------

Gentlemen, we can rebuild the iPad Air. We have the ability. We have the technology. We can make the iPad Air stronger, faster than it has ever been. The world's first bionic iPad Air.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i5zn-mF2-_8

Ha! Loved that show. I had the toys and action figures from that.

Last edited:

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
You drove with your ipad on your hood right in front of your face for 3 miles?

Maybe the case was the same color as the truck?

I don't know; I could see misplacing it if you left it on the roof like some do with coffee cups but not "on my hood of my truck-near the windshield."

And BTW, you meant to say that you "can't bear to tell him", unless you planned to get naked to further add to the humiliation. ;)

Sorry situation, regardless.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Run over iPad, OOW Replacement? Pictures..

As I posted yesterday, I left my iPad Air on the hood of my car, it flew off on the freeway and was hit multiple times. I decided to go back and see if I could find it today, it was there, not in good shape. The top layer of glass has separated from the rest of the body, but all the other pieces are 'intact'. What do you think my chances of getting an out of warranty replacement are?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    667 KB · Views: 243
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    450 KB · Views: 220
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    397.6 KB · Views: 213
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    380.4 KB · Views: 192

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Should have scooped it up and taken it to the Genius Bar. Tell them the home button stopped working maybe you can get a replacement.

Sorry for your loss, that's an expensive lesson.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Should have scooped it up and taken it to the Genius Bar. Tell them the home button stopped working maybe you can get a replacement.

Sorry for your loss, that's an expensive lesson.

Thanks, see above link. I recovered it.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.