Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newnomad

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2003
I noticed:

-The desktop theme has no way to subscribe to the MR newsletter. Does this have a reason?

-The mobile theme has a mailto link to subscribe to the MR newsletter.

Why not a form? Because mobile devices always have an email account setup by default unlike desktop (ea web based gmail)? And it is just one click, easier?

Why not for desktop too?

And how is this implemented, could one do it without custom code, with an integration for mailchimp or other newsletter systems? Maybe hack it with some kind of service in between like https://ifttt.com/email or google auto responder?
I am curious to know how the team has set this up...

edit:

sometimes the signup link seems to go to leadpages.net
is it a feature of theirs, or was this mailto thing just a manual temporary setup?

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I noticed:

-The desktop theme has no way to subscribe to the MR newsletter. Does this have a reason?

-The mobile theme has a mailto link to subscribe to the MR newsletter.

Why not a form? Because mobile devices always have an email account setup by default unlike desktop (ea web based gmail)? And it is just one click, easier?

Why not for desktop too?

And how is this implemented, could one do it without custom code, with an integration for mailchimp or other newsletter systems? Maybe hack it with some kind of service in between like https://ifttt.com/email or google auto responder?
I am curious to know how the team has set this up...

edit:

sometimes the signup link seems to go to leadpages.net
is it a feature of theirs, or was this mailto thing just a manual temporary setup?

- The desktop theme only has a "mail" link near the top next to the social buttons for now. We were going to promote it more, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

- We thought the mailto link would be easier. We randomized it between mailto: and leadpages, which is why you get something different depending. Seems like the Leadpages option converts more people, so I guess we were wrong. Unfortunately, the leadpages pop up is a bit more jarring.

arn

newnomad

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2003
Personally I thought the mailto was brilliant, I see it more and more instead of contact forms. I am surprised the leadpages (or any other email field widget) converts better.
The results you got seem to prove that people are more at ease (or just more familiar) with filling their email out in a field, rather then sending an email.
A visible field might even convert better then an icon...

Also, please note that the safari adblock extension blocks the mail icon, it seems to think the leadpage link is an ad: that is why I thought it was only on mobile. So many people won't see it...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Personally I thought the mailto was brilliant, I see it more and more instead of contact forms. I am surprised the leadpages (or any other email field widget) converts better.
The results you got seem to prove that people are more at ease (or just more familiar) with filling their email out in a field, rather then sending an email.
A visible field might even convert better then an icon...

Also, please note that the safari adblock extension blocks the mail icon, it seems to think the leadpage link is an ad: that is why I thought it was only on mobile. So many people won't see it...

Ah interesting. Re the email. Ya, I'm not sure why it converts better. Was a surprise to me. Maybe people want to use an alternate email and not their primary one.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.