Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 4, 2014, 04:15 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

TwelveSouth Debuts SurfacePad Case for iPad Mini

TwelveSouth today introduced the new SurfacePad for iPad mini, an compact leather case that's able to double as a viewing stand and a desktop typing wedge.

The case, which is billed as a simple leather wrap, uses an adhesive backing to hold the iPad mini in place, cutting down on bulk and allowing it to function without an enclosing framework.

With hidden magnets build into the inside of the cover, it can be propped into two separate positions for viewing and typing, and as with most iPad cases, the SurfacePad offers sleep/wake functionality.

Quote:
Slide iPad up along the inside cover and hidden magnets magically reach out to grab the edge of iPad. This cool trick replaces the need for extra sewn-in stops or notches. If the angle's not quite right, slide iPad a little further and a second row of magnets will grab and hold iPad at a second viewing angle.

Another clever feature built into SurfacePad for iPad mini is a small kickstand that turns this sleek cover into a typing wedge and desktop display. Flip down the kickstand, and - as with the hands-free viewing stand - a hidden row of magnets grabs the edge of your iPad.
The new iPad mini SurfacePad follows similar products designed for the iPhone and the Mac and TwelveSouth has plans to release a SurfacePad for the iPad Air as well.

SurfacePad for iPad mini is available in Pop Red, Mod White, and Jet Black. It can be purchased from the TwelveSouth website for $69.99.

Article Link: TwelveSouth Debuts SurfacePad Case for iPad Mini
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 04:16 PM   #2
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502

How much did they pay for this story?
larrylaffer is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 04:17 PM   #3
pmz
Banned

Bought one of these for the iPhone 5 and it promptly fell apart within a month.

They are very, very cheaply made despite how attractive their marketing is.
pmz is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 04:18 PM   #4
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrumors View Post
...uses an adhesive backing to hold the ipad mini in place...
nope.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 04:18 PM   #5
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Truth. And it's doubly hard because it looks so good at first.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 04:18 PM   #6
pancakedrawer
macrumors regular

If only the iPad had some sort of built-in kickstand so we didn't need to purchase overpriced cases to view movies etc.
pancakedrawer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 04:21 PM   #7
Dave-Z
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
...uses an adhesive backing to hold the iPad mini in place...
If only the iPad Mini had some sort of mechanism for attaching a cover that didn't rely on adhesive.
Dave-Z is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 04:26 PM   #8
pmz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Z View Post
If only the iPad Mini had some sort of mechanism for attaching a cover that didn't rely on adhesive.
The adhesive is a non-issue, I assure you. It leaves zero residue, sticks firmly, can be easily removed and reapplied at least a few times...

But it won't matter because the rest of it will peel apart after a few weeks of normal use.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakedrawer View Post
If only the iPad had some sort of built-in kickstand so we didn't need to purchase overpriced cases to view movies etc.
Right let's uglify and compromise the device with a kickstand! instead of encouraging the 3rd party case market and letting people choose how they want to stand it up. Gotcha.
pmz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 04:31 PM   #9
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

That's too bad. I bought one of their book book cases for my iPad and it has lasted for years and is still going strong and in great shape.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 04:35 PM   #10
pmz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabinez View Post
That's too bad. I bought one of their book book cases for my iPad and it has lasted for years and is still going strong and in great shape.
I'm sure the book case is very different from the surface pad in terms of design and weak points. It looks that way to me.
pmz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 04:37 PM   #11
TC03
macrumors 6502a

These iPad cases are way too expensive and often very clumsy and ugly. You can find decent cases on eBay for less than $20. For that you get clean cases with no ugly logos or whatsoever and the quality is fine.

$70 is way too expensive, even though it's leather.
TC03 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 04:54 PM   #12
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

Ugh, they lost me at adhesive. Not even long enough for them to lose me at $70.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 05:33 PM   #13
andrewfrom12So
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylaffer View Post
Not a dime Larry. SurfacePad may not be your cup of tea, thats cool, but this site's integrity is intact. We don't pay for coverage and never have. We just try and make products worth talking about. What you say about it is then up to you
andrewfrom12So is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 05:42 PM   #14
japanime
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Twelvesouth offers a 12-month warranty on defective products. Sounds like yours qualifies. You should definitely contact them.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 05:53 PM   #15
jca24
macrumors 6502a

I am a fan of Twelve South stuff, bookarc and magicwand and others. But I doubt this iPad cover lives up. I have this, http://kavaj.com/ipad-mini-2-case-berlin-black/ for both mini and iPad air and they are fantastic, real soft leather, very slim and very well made, and alot less money! Just my opinion.
jca24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 06:34 PM   #16
BigBeast
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot24 View Post
nope.
Watch out Patriot, you'll find your one word posts removed promptly from threads and a reminder in your notification box from MR.com. I should know- it happened to me.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 06:36 PM   #17
aawil
macrumors 6502

For me I like taking cases off easily so it doesn't appeal too much for my type of use. But I have the HiRise for the iPhone and absolutely love it. So much so when I finally upgrade my iPad 2 I'll be getting another one. I think the only other thing I have from them is the plugbug world I bought for a european road trip. Been using it for close to a year now I guess and never had a problem with it. I'd like to see the Travel Journal in person although it's a bit more than I want to spend.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 06:55 PM   #18
Gigatel
macrumors newbie

Bought the iPhone version and it was garbage. I have no doubt this would be too. Avoid, especially at that absurd price.
Gigatel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 07:13 PM   #19
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfrom12So View Post
Not a dime Larry. SurfacePad may not be your cup of tea, thats cool, but this site's integrity is intact. We don't pay for coverage and never have. We just try and make products worth talking about. What you say about it is then up to you
Answer me this then: How much is the production cost for one of these cases?
larrylaffer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:11 PM   #20
andrewfrom12So
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Answer me this then: How much is the production cost for one of these cases?
OMG Larry - if only it were that easy. There’s the BOM, then Landed Cost, then Inbound Shipping, Outbound Shipping, and Wholesale Cost... Then of course Overhead, Warehousing, Development (fun fact - these were ready to go months ago, then Apple added a little mic to the back… do over). What I can say is, we try very hard to ensure we deliver $69.99 of value to our customers who purchase this cover. We're def. not the cheapest, but we try to make the best stuff we can. Good question though. Hope this insight helps.
andrewfrom12So is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 08:03 AM   #21
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

$69.99 for a case is absurd. My $4 case on Amazon has worked flawlessly for over a year now.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 09:10 AM   #22
rdparris
macrumors newbie

Great Idea

I've been using Twelve South products for almost as long as I've been using Apple products. I've been very picky about what I buy and worse about the things I use [the closet is full of cases I can't stand to use]. I purchased the SurfacePad for my iPhone 4S last year wanting something thin and "different". Still using it and can't wait to get the same when I upgrade my iPhone this year. Will also be looking for the same when they come out with it for my iPad Air.

All I have to say is in my experience these guys put out a quality product. If you have issues with it, contact customer support and get it replaced. As for me, I'm looking forward to wrapping my iPad Air in this thing!

Last edited by rdparris; Mar 5, 2014 at 09:12 AM. Reason: typo
rdparris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 09:30 AM   #23
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I'm interested to know too know much was paid for this advertising.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:35 AM   #24
vpro
macrumors 6502a

Ok

Ok
Ok
Please everyone stop making these ridiculous oragami style stands
What a waste of material
The best case ever is the ZAGG folio keys pro with keyboard and ipad air protection

Buuuaaahhh!

Rawk on. Most of these things out there are so dreaded ugly beyond comprehension really seriously
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:36 AM   #25
osx11
macrumors 6502a

Why is my AdBlock not working?
osx11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion