Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richyw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Hi, my retina macbook pro crashed and so I have done a clean install of osx 10.9 on it. I am no longer using linux, because I discovered most of the stuff I needed was available on macports, and no linux distro really worked that well on this computer.

anyways I am a bit of a mac noob, and I am trying to get custom icons in my launcher bar to open packages that run in x11 and ideally in terminal as well.

I have made some icons that essentially run a script that tells terminal to open and type in a command. This works to initially open my programs, but after I have clicked it, it obviously does not behave as a normal package. I would like the icon to stay lit up, and if I click on it, it would bring up that window.

Is this possible to do this?

At the very least, is it possible to open files directly into x11 apps? for example I have gnumeric installed, and when I click a spreadsheet file in my finder, is it possible to have gnumeric start up with the file open?

I realize there are native apps that do the same thing as gnumeric, but they all seem to be bundled with word processors and slideshow making tools and stuff, which I don't want really.

so anyways, does anyone know if these two things are possible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.