Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pr0230

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I just learned about the AirStash device and now am looking into a portable WIFI Hard Drive.

I have read many articles but most are dated (1yr old)...

Im concerned about the Apps that access the data.... From most reviews , there seems to be too many problems accessing file and streaming content...

Any suggestions?

kwajkat

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
I have had good luck with Seagate's wireless Plus ($199). I found that the Air stash is good however it downloads whatever you want to view on your device to your device before it plays. the Seagate doesn't do that.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
I have a 16gb ipad air ....and would love to watch movies on it while traveling. Will one of these puppies do huge trick....and do I need to have both devices connected to a really fast wifi connection?

Edit: just googled and it appears I can. Sorry for posting unnecessarily.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have a 16gb ipad air ....and would love to watch movies on it while traveling. Will one of these puppies do huge trick....and do I need to have both devices connected to a really fast wifi connection?

You have USB, so no need for the extra expense of a wifi device...A cheaper solution would be a USB HDD cables right into your MBA. These are small now and can easily be carried around.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
You have USB, so no need for the extra expense of a wifi device...A cheaper solution would be a USB HDD cables right into your MBA. These are small now and can easily be carried around.

No I have an ipad air...no USB.

Btw I really like the sandisk solution....will it stream all kinds of video files or only mp4 and mkv.....I'd like it if it could also stream a I files. Thanks

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.

The San disk I copied a link to creates its own "wireless network". That is you use a wifi connection to connect to it. You don't get an internet connection unless you are within a wifi area

----------

No I have an ipad air...no USB.

Btw I really like the sandisk solution....will it stream all kinds of video files or only mp4 and mkv.....I'd like it if it could also stream a I files. Thanks

Streams anything that's compatible with the iPad air and I think up to 5 devices can stream at the same time

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I'm using a Seagate Wireless Plus with an iPad and Sony WiFi camera for travel. Mostly used for photo storage.

I've swapped out the 1TB drive for a SSD. Shockproof, quiet, faster and noticeably better battery life.

Notes:
Can be used as a WiFi hotspot, very handy when you need to login to use WiFi as only one device e.g. iPad @ Starbucks has to. Also keeps the connection active.

Deleting files on the iPad is kludgy, the Seagate app won't do it. A decent (so far not free) WebDAV app is needed.

2.3mm coax to USB charging cable needed, hard to find replacements.

Can be reformatted to HFS+ boot so my Mac and Synology NAS have no problem with direct USB. caveat does not support time machine.

Seagate forum is quite useless, very little tech support.

It's linux and a third party non official OS is available that turns it into a LAMP server for more advanced users, but seems their 4th version is still a long way off.

NP9

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
What about the iUSBPort from HyperDrive ($99)?
It provides you with 2 x USB ports to connect either flash drives or 'normal' HDD's and turns them into WiFi ones letting you access everything from your iPad app. Plus it also has a MicroSDXC slot just in case. Additionally it has an 8-hour battery life that can also charge your iOS device.

I don't know what is it that you want but this one has proven successful for my needs.
I already had some normal non-WiFi HDD's and was also concerned about being given a thumb drive in a business meeting and not being able to access it and the iUSBPort covered all this.

It's now in a second iteration called iUSBPort2. Apparently there is also another model called iUSBPortHD which provides the same things except that it has only one USB port and that is because it also acts as an enclosure to a built-in HDD. So you basically get a WiFi HDD with the ability to chain another extra HDD or thumb drive plus the SD card.
I haven't experienced this last model though.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Streams anything that's compatible with the iPad air and I think up to 5 devices can stream at the same time

Another vote for the SanDisk, as long as 64GB (plus whatever size SD card) is enough. It'll stream 5 HD movies, or up to 8 if lower bandwidth. The app that comes with is marginal for video playback, but there are lots of great 3rd party video apps that work well. We're on the road right now with 2 kids and me streaming movies while the wife drives.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I use one of these
http://www.sandisk.co.uk/products/wireless/flash-drive/

It's basically a USB device with a micro SD in that you can swap in/out. It makes it's own WiFi network for devices to connect to and stream (numerous) to.

You can copy stuff to/from your iDevices to it and back to make room, eg copy photos off iPhone to the Sandisk connect.

Charges through a normal USB port to, and expandable. Works fine for me.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I just ordered the Seagate Wireless Plus from Amazon. Should be here 3/11 and I can report back shortly after with my findings.

My wife, step daughter and I are going on vacation and we hope to be able to stream movies from this thing to our 3 iPads. Says it will support streaming 3 HD movies at a time.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Anyone know what the best hard drive would be if I wanted to load lots of .mkv and .avi files onto a hard drive and watch them on my iPad when I wanted to? (without connecting to the internet).

Any recommendations?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
The Seagate Wireless Plus can serve out your media, but it's not a streamer and your device will have to be able to decode and playback the file using whatever app you plan to use. Much easier if your files are in an iPad friendly format to start with.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
The Seagate Wireless Plus can serve out your media, but it's not a streamer and your device will have to be able to decode and playback the file using whatever app you plan to use. Much easier if your files are in an iPad friendly format to start with.

Thanks.

I use VLC and like how it plays all the MKV's. As I have a lower capacity iPad, I thought getting an external drive should work (some how). I guess not.

Thank you for the help though :D

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Anyone know what the best hard drive would be if I wanted to load lots of .mkv and .avi files onto a hard drive and watch them on my iPad when I wanted to? (without connecting to the internet).

Any recommendations?

I use a Seagate Wireless Plus also.

Very good - can stream to your ipad or download the file if you prefer. The Seagte creates its own wifi network, and you connect your ipad to that wifi network. (Be aware that when your Seagate plus is plugged in to a USB port of a computer to access/copy files etc... the Seagate wireless is NOT available - just unplug the usb connection)

I use Oplayer as it's easy to directly view the files from it rather than use the Seagate app - but do have VLC handy as it can play dts audio unlike pretty much any other player... ('download' to the Seagate app then 'open in' VLC).

It's a shame you can't use the same usb cable to charge the Seagate with a power adaptor rather than having to use yet another cable...but other than that it's been excellent.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Ive done some research and find the sandisk is not such a good deal....$114 for 64 gb plus more if you add a 64 gb sd card.

The seagate wireless plus is about $180 for 1 TB...which sounds much better.

But theres another brand called Corsair Voyager which is priced same as the seagate and 1tb as well

Apparently the seagate is dlna approved while the corsair is nas...I dont know what either of these means beyond that they seem to be some sort of standard for wireless streaming....can anyone explain and perhaps compare the two if youve had the experience?

Cheers

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
I ended up purchasing one of these.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hootoo-tripmate-elite-5-in-1-portable-traveling-device/x/6592785

Along with streaming, it is also external battery, AC Adapter, and wireless router. I had an older version of the HooToo streamer and it was pretty solid. And you can't beat the price of $46.00 delivered.

I like this because it still lets me keep me existing 1tb hard drive....seems only open to usa and canada residents....alas, im in asia.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I use this http://www.amazon.com/HooToo®-TripM...id=1394998347&sr=8-2&keywords=hootoo+tripmate plus a 128gb flash drive (you can use any size or an external HDD), it's perfect for me. It powers itself for a long time or can be used to juice up your phone. The app is quite easy to use.

----------

I ended up purchasing one of these.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hootoo-tripmate-elite-5-in-1-portable-traveling-device/x/6592785

Along with streaming, it is also external battery, AC Adapter, and wireless router. I had an older version of the HooToo streamer and it was pretty solid. And you can't beat the price of $46.00 delivered.

This looks really cool, I already have another HooToo Tripmate model which I already posted about but the built in AC adapter is a really nice touch. It doesn't look like they're going to meet their goal though, I'm not really familiar with how Indiegogo works when that happens, are you still guaranteed to get the product?

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
This looks really cool, I already have another HooToo Tripmate model which I already posted about but the built in AC adapter is a really nice touch. It doesn't look like they're going to meet their goal though, I'm not really familiar with how Indiegogo works when that happens, are you still guaranteed to get the product?

They are using flexible funding so they don't have to meet their funding goals and everyone will get their products.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
They are using flexible funding so they don't have to meet their funding goals and everyone will get their products.

Thanks! I think I'll go for one, I'm very happy with my other product for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.