Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nim6us

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
I just got a Time Capsule and I want to use it as a file server as well. While it's 3TB and I think that should be fine, my concern is that Time Machine will just keep backing up indefinitely. So over time it would use those 3TB of space. My HD is 250GB and I was thinking of creating a partition of 750GB so there would be plenty of space for TM backups, but it would hit a threshold and not keep eating away at all the space I want to use as a file server. Does all this logic sound right and is this a good idea?

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
That's basically what I did with my external drive (though it's not a Time Capsule and I don't have a file server.) One partition for Time Machine, one for general data storage, and one for cross-platform file transfers.

chmodme

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
perhaps

It makes perfect sense but first ask yourself why you are using TC?

TC will indeed consume all disk it is allowed, and this is potentially more than some folks actually need.

If you wish to limit the backups to the roughly 750GB you indicated, that should be plenty unless your expectation is being able to retrieve data from further back. It's a good plan.

If all you want or need is a complete disk copy, bootable, then use the TC as a NAS unit only and consider Carbon Copy Cloner (an rsync of your disk) as it is far less of a resource hog than TC.

TC works, not saying it doesn't but unless you need data from a year ago it may not be the perfect fit.

chmodme

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.