Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
Hi,

I'm having a weird issue with my Mac Pro and my cubix, under OS 10.8.5 the 2 Gtx Titans in the cubix were recognised without any problems.

Now I've updated the Mac Pro to Mavericks 10.9.2 with the latest nVidia driver, and despite of this, the system recognises only one Gtx Titan...
I tested via a backup hard drive under 10.8.5 that one the Titan was not faulty, and both are ok.

Anyone has such issue and/or solution?

Thanks

Last edited:

Robert Davies

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
People's Republic of Wrexham
Hi,

I'm having a weird issue with my Mac Pro and my cubix, under OS 10.8.5 the 2 Gtx Titans in the cubix were recognised without any problems.

Now I've updated the Mac Pro to Mavericks 10.9.2 with the latest nVidia driver, and despite of this, the system recognises only one Gtx Titan...
I tested via a backup hard drive under 10.8.5 that one the Titan was not faulty, and both are ok.

Anyone has such issue and/or solution?

Thanks

I can only recommend that due to the rather esoteric nature of your hardware, you contact cubix support.

I'm guessing you're using one of their 'xpander' solutions?

They do make great claims over their systems' compatibility.

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
I can only recommend that due to the rather esoteric nature of your hardware, you contact cubix support.

Yeah, that's what I did and they just came back to me stating that they will replicate the config in their lab to identify the issue.

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC

Update:
Well here is the answer of Cubix.
They have the same issue with 10.9.2 and for now unfortunately they advised me to report it to Apple and nVidia...
I will, but I'm not sure something will move ;o(

I guess I have to wait further OS version to see it is rectified.

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
Not a terribly satisfactory resolution so far….

These xPander things ain't cheap!

…and because of the ssl bug that was squashed by 10.9.2, reverting to 10.9.1 may not be much of an option either!

Well until a solution is found, I'm back to 10.8.5, at least I can continue my Octane renders with all my GPU.

Last edited:

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
OK guys here is the news, Cubix stated that they succeeded with 10.9.2...
Unfortunately not working for me even with latest Cuda and Nvidia web driver version...
Also tested with 10.9.3 same results with all Nvidia stuff updated ;o(

So still under 10.8.5

Cheers
Regis

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
Here is the email I received last 21st May from Cubix.

I quote:
"TEST 1
Cubix lab is running OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks on Mac Pro (GT 120 GUI) connected to Xpander with 2 x TITAN Black GPUs. GPUs show up under System Profiler > Graphics/Displays, and applications can see / access the GPUs. Several Cubix customers are doing the same.

TEST 2
Cubix lab can duplicate the issue you're seeing by installing 2 x GTX 580s in Xpander connected to Mac Pro running OS X 10.9.2. Only one GTX 580 shows up. It appears OS X 10.9.2 does not load the driver for one GTX 580. Also, when we connect a display to any GTX 580 port, OS X 10.9.2 freezes the entire system. Revert to OS X 10.9.1 or 10.8.5 and the system detects both GTX 580s. GPUs show up under System Profiler > Graphics/Displays, and applications can see / access the GPUs.

Testing is ongoing, but results so far show that OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks running on Apple Mac Pro is causing issues with GTX Series GPUs installed in Xpander.

TEST 3
Cubix lab updated to OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks on Mac Pro. When connected to Xpander with 2 x TITAN Black GPUs, the GPUs show up under System Profiler > Graphics/Displays, and applications can see / access the GPUs. When lab connects a display to any GTX TITAN Black port, OS X 10.9.3 runs fine, no issues.

NVIDIA Quadro & GeForce Mac OS X Driver Release 334.01.01
Version: 334.01
Release Date: 2014.5.20

TEST 4
Run OS X 10.9.3 on Mac Pro connected to Xpander with 2 x GTX 580s and only one GTX 580 shows up. Connect a display to any GTX 580 port and the entire system freezes.
"

At least, Cubix takes seriously this issue.

Cheers
Regis

Last edited:

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
Hi Guys,

Here is the latest development, I quote:
"Test results show:
- OS X 10.9.2 or OS X 10.9.3 and the current NVIDIA driver run fine with GTX TITAN Blacks but not with GTX earlier models
- OS X 10.9.1 or OS X 10.8.5 and the appropriate NVIDIA driver run fine with GTX earlier models but not with GTX TITAN Blacks

Until Apple or NVIDIA change this situation, your options are upgrade your TITANs to TITAN Blacks running either OS X 10.9.2 or 10.9.3 ,or revert to OS X 10.9.1 or 10.8.5 and run TITANs.
"

I feel like I'm trapped...
Any advices are most welcome?

Cheers
Regis

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
Hmm, only way to use Titan Blacks is with Web Driver.

doesn't work at all with OS drivers.

Has anyone tried with EFI version of Titans?

Unlucky me I don't know anyone able to test the rig you suggest.

For info, I just noticed that Cubix removed the words "Mavericks compability" from their website...;o(

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Unlucky me I don't know anyone able to test the rig you suggest.

For info, I just noticed that Cubix removed the words "Mavericks compability" from their website...;o(

Since you are already in contact with the Cubix folks, can you tell them I will do an EFI on one of their Titans if they send it to me, gratis?

They just need to cover shipping both ways. May or may not make a difference but willing to see if our EFI cards would help.

I don't know where the issue pops up but how the cards gets inited into system changes so may help, may not.

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
Since you are already in contact with the Cubix folks, can you tell them I will do an EFI on one of their Titans if they send it to me, gratis?

They just need to cover shipping both ways. May or may not make a difference but willing to see if our EFI cards would help.

I don't know where the issue pops up but how the cards gets inited into system changes so may help, may not.

I will forward them the message by monday, but I doubt...
However perhaps that would be possible with Rob (Barefeats.com), don't you think?

Thank you very much for your help.

If no solution is found, I will see if I'm selling all my graphics cards to purchase GTX Titan Blacks including one modified by yourself and be able to upgrade my OS in the future, or if I purchase 2 more used GTX Titan and not be able to upgrade my OS at all ;o(

For your info about how it works here is a message they sent me:
" System BIOS detects / allocates resources to Xpander PCIe bridge chip and slots so no drivers or firmware exist. For example, when you boot empty Xpander connected to Mac Pro running OS X, you can run the command line:

ioreg -l | grep pci10b5

and you will see the bridge chip and slots listed. That's all done by system BIOS before OS X even loads.
"

Cheers
Regis

Last edited:

MrBenHilton

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2014
Hi, I have this same problem also and am stuck in 10.8.5. I really don't want to have to replace the 4 x GTX680 cards I have, I've spent a fortune on this setup... I guess this is down to apple to fix?

Even if I upgrade the cards I can't guarantee it will work then...?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I will forward them the message by monday, but I doubt...
However perhaps that would be possible with Rob (Barefeats.com), don't you think?

Thank you very much for your help.

If no solution is found, I will see if I'm selling all my graphics cards to purchase GTX Titan Blacks including one modified by yourself and be able to upgrade my OS in the future, or if I purchase 2 more used GTX Titan and not be able to upgrade my OS at all ;o(

For your info about how it works here is a message they sent me:
" System BIOS detects / allocates resources to Xpander PCIe bridge chip and slots so no drivers or firmware exist. For example, when you boot empty Xpander connected to Mac Pro running OS X, you can run the command line:

ioreg -l | grep pci10b5

and you will see the bridge chip and slots listed. That's all done by system BIOS before OS X even loads.
"

Cheers
Regis

That is the reason I am hopeful that EFI on card may help. They are incorrectly using phrase "system bios" as that describes how PC has historically worked. Macs have used EFI for 8 years now, EFI drivers load before the ones in operating system. This is why an EFI card shows bootscreens before the OS loads.

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
That is the reason I am hopeful that EFI on card may help. They are incorrectly using phrase "system bios" as that describes how PC has historically worked. Macs have used EFI for 8 years now, EFI drivers load before the ones in operating system. This is why an EFI card shows bootscreens before the OS loads.

Ok now I understand a bit better what they were saying.
I have sent them your kind offer last monday by email... I guess they didn't get back to you ;o( (btw neither to me)

If I can sell all my graphic cards perhaps I will be able to purchase some Titan black for the Cubix...

Cheers
Regis

----------

Hi, I have this same problem also and am stuck in 10.8.5. I really don't want to have to replace the 4 x GTX680 cards I have, I've spent a fortune on this setup... I guess this is down to apple to fix?

Even if I upgrade the cards I can't guarantee it will work then...?

Well as far as I know 10.9.1 works so either it is coming from Apple or/and from Nvidia because it depends the graphics cards as per tests performed by Cubix.
But in any case it is very annoying considering the price we've paid for the gears ;o(

Cheers
Regis

Last edited:

ywchai

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
I have 3 Titans and just wanted to share my tests.

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 with 12 core hooked up to a Netstor PCIe Expansion Chasis (Similar to a CUBIX one , which also has the same problem). In the expansion chasis I have 3 GTX Titans in there to be used as GPUs for Resolve and OpenCL/CUDA processing.

In 10.8.5, System profile will show and detect all 3 Titans. And Resolve and all other apps can detect and use the 3 Ttians.

However, with 10.9.2, 10.9.3, and 10.9.4, only 2 of the Titans will be detected when 3 are installed. The 3rd one being "Display, no kext loaded". It doesn't matter which configuration, slot location, it will detect 1 less Titan when there are more than 1 installed. For instance, if I install only 2 cards, only 1 will be detected and the other as a "Display, no Kext loaded". I have tried mixing the cards, to see if it is a problem with 1 of the cards but it doesn't matter. As long as I have 2 or more cards installed, one of them will be "disabled".

If I install just 1 card (I tried 1 at a time, 3 times), it will be detected fine and usable in Resolve.

I was hoping with every Maverick update this problem will be solved, but from 10.9.2 till 10.9.4, this problem persists. Oddly, the reverse problem is seen with Titan Blacks. Titan Blacks are fully detected on Maverick, but exhibit the same problem as the Titan in 10.8.5.

I sincerely hope someone from Apple will acknowledge and fix this issue, as it is clearly an OS problem. No Nvidia web drivers can solve it. Please chime in if anyone know of any solutions. even if it involves hacking any kext files I'd gladly do it.

By the way I have also submitted a bug report to apple and i hope more of you do the same so that Apple can fix it in the next update.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Tutor

macrumors 65816

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 with 12 core hooked up to a Netstor PCIe Expansion Chasis (Similar to a CUBIX one , which also has the same problem). In the expansion chasis I have 3 GTX Titans in there to be used as GPUs for Resolve and OpenCL/CUDA processing.

In 10.8.5, System profile will show and detect all 3 Titans. And Resolve and all other apps can detect and use the 3 Ttians.

However, with 10.9.2, 10.9.3, and 10.9.4, only 2 of the Titans will be detected when 3 are installed. The 3rd one being "Display, no kext loaded". It doesn't matter which configuration, slot location, it will detect 1 less Titan when there are more than 1 installed. For instance, if I install only 2 cards, only 1 will be detected and the other as a "Display, no Kext loaded". I have tried mixing the cards, to see if it is a problem with 1 of the cards but it doesn't matter. As long as I have 2 or more cards installed, one of them will be "disabled".

If I install just 1 card (I tried 1 at a time, 3 times), it will be detected fine and usable in Resolve.

I was hoping with every Maverick update this problem will be solved, but from 10.9.2 till 10.9.4, this problem persists. Oddly, the reverse problem is seen with Titan Blacks. Titan Blacks are fully detected on Maverick, but exhibit the same problem as the Titan in 10.8.5.

I sincerely hope someone from Apple will acknowledge and fix this issue, as it is clearly an OS problem. No Nvidia web drivers can solve it. Please chime in if anyone know of any solutions. even if it involves hacking any kext files I'd gladly do it.

By the way I have also submitted a bug report to apple and i hope more of you do the same so that Apple can fix it in the next update.

Thanks!!

Have you tried placing the PCIe card for the NetStor connection in each of your system's 4 PCie slots to see whether that makes a difference?

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC

Thanks!!

Thank you for sharing.
The question is I think, is it the end of an era for us?

Cheers
Regis

ywchai

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Yes I have tried your suggestion but no .. still one card not identified.

Has anyone tried the Yosemite 10.10? Is this problem solved?

Have you tried placing the PCIe card for the NetStor connection in each of your system's 4 PCie slots to see whether that makes a difference?

ywchai

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Yosemite does not solve the Titan issue

Hi all,

Just to report, I have installed Yosemite 10.10 beta and it still does not solve the disappearing Titan issue. I think we might have to go to Titan Blacks if we are using mavericks 10.9.2 and above. If you want more than 1 titans to be recognised, stick with 10.8.5.

registudio

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, QC
Thank you for the test.
Personally, I decided to stay in 10.8.5 as I had a good opportunity to add 2 more Titans in my cubix.

Cheers
Regis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.