Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 6, 2014, 06:21 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Azoi Unveils 'Wello' Health Tracking Case for iPhone

Science and technology company Azoi has unveiled the Wello health monitoring case for the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPhont 5s, allowing users to track various human metrics such as blood pressure, heart rate, temperature and more, reports GigaOM.

The case itself features a thin design with Bluetooth functionality, and includes a microprocessor along with two sensors on its rear. Users are able to measure their health metrics by placing two fingers over designated holes on the back of the case, with a reading taking a few seconds and appearing on a companion app.

Azoi states that the Wello can sync with accessories such as a Wi-Fi scale and other fitness trackers, and contains a battery that lasts up to two months on a single charge. The accessory also allows multiple users to register their health metrics through the app, as health trends and patterns will be displayed over time.

Apple is rumored to be including health tracking functionality similar to the Wello in its wearable iWatch device, which is reportedly in development for a release later this year. A report earlier this month stated that the iWatch could perhaps incorporate optical sensors to measure physical functions such as heart rate and oxygen levels, as Apple is rumored to be including a"Healthbook" app in iOS 8 that would assist users in tracking health statistics in conjunction with the iWatch and iPhone.

The Wello is available to pre-order for $199, as Azoi plans to launch the product later this year pending approval from the United States Food and Drug Administration. Those who pre-order early will also receive a free spirometer attachment to measure lung functions.

Article Link: Azoi Unveils 'Wello' Health Tracking Case for iPhone
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 06:27 AM   #2
HussamRaed
macrumors regular

What a way to market a product! That video is incredibly convincing. Seriously considering one right now.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 06:45 AM   #3
thasan
macrumors 6502a

wow! this is really cool! why does apple take ages to bring something as simple as this? very nice advert too!
thasan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 07:06 AM   #4
huges84
macrumors newbie

They want you to order now to maybe get it by fall. But by then the iPhone 6 and possibly the iwatch will be out or nearly so and either one may track health. Also that case likely won't work with iPhone 6.

I think they realize this and are trying to get your order now before they have to compete with Apple.
huges84 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 07:33 AM   #5
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

Medical grade accuracy?!

If true, that is absolutely amazing. Makes me very anxious for the iWatch and its possibilities, especiall as a gym junkie and a person who is making strong efforts to become a healthier eater.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 07:46 AM   #6
MetalHaze
macrumors newbie

I know I have seen this guy somewhere before..... Oh yah! He also makes Coin!

https://onlycoin.com
MetalHaze is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 07:48 AM   #7
alohamade
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHaze View Post
I know I have seen this guy somewhere before..... Oh yah! He also makes Coin!

https://onlycoin.com
I was thinking the same! That man is about to become a tech trend.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 07:53 AM   #8
MetalHaze
macrumors newbie

Also one small problem with the name "Wello"

It's already being used by another fitness company. Houston, we have a problem!

https://www.wello.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeAreWello
MetalHaze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 08:32 AM   #9
Jcknows0
macrumors member

Seems promising enough but from the look of the picture it fails to do the one thing a case should: protect the screen as well as the body. Even a tiny bit extra is enough to protect from scratches and falls, big fail on their part
Jcknows0 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:32 AM   #10
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

I smell an acquisition.
iBreatheApple is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:43 AM   #11
ShellBell
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohamade View Post
After doing a bit of digging, apparently he already is.

http://sandwichvideo.com/
ShellBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:16 AM   #12
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
The only problem I have with this is you need to actively put your fingers on the sensors to perform the test. A system where you were constantly being passively monitored and notified when your 'vitals' indicate a problem would appeal to me a lot more.

Great advert though!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:23 AM   #13
octothorpe8
macrumors 6502

Privacy laws regarding health information are quite strong. I wonder what safeguards and compliance are being built into all these new services.
octothorpe8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:16 PM   #14
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
Love the Ad, impressive add-on to my iPhone
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:31 PM   #15
haydenfive
macrumors newbie

The biggest problem here is the iPhone6 will be available by the time this product comes to market. Do they really expect that the user this appeals to will continue to use a previous generation phone?
haydenfive is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:49 PM   #16
sososowhat
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to sososowhat
Not sure why it has to be a case -- wouldn't it be more flexible if it were a separate bluetooth connected thing you could stick in your pocket & take with you only when you want it? Doubling as a (probably not very good) case doesn't make much sense to me, especially as it won't work with all generations of iPhone, as others have pointed out.
sososowhat is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:56 PM   #17
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sososowhat View Post
Not sure why it has to be a case -- wouldn't it be more flexible if it were a separate bluetooth connected thing you could stick in your pocket & take with you only when you want it? Doubling as a (probably not very good) case doesn't make much sense to me, especially as it won't work with all generations of iPhone, as others have pointed out.
+1.

Some folks may want a case-based solution, but Wello needs to make another version that does not attach to iPhone.
nutmac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 04:40 PM   #18
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a

Looks good, but the case design won't help me when I upgrade to a larger iPhone 6 or 6s. Like someone else mentioned here, a bluetooth-enabled standalone device would be better. Maybe he's trying to get it out before the iWatch arrives. I know a lot of people over the age of 30 who would love to make the task of monitoring their vitals/health easier.
dampfnudel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 02:42 AM   #19
reden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohamade View Post
He was the original squareup guy........
reden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:57 PM   #20
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Pretty impressive technology. Would be vastly better in an "iWatch" form factor though.

But yeah, that guy has totally nailed the Stanley Kubrick look.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion