Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Speculation is way too early. They wouldn't be going into production *NOW* for a September release.

It'll unnecessarily hold battery life back. There has been no sign that there is benefit to quad-core over fast dual-core.

This CPU is hopfully for something else.... like a AppleTV w/ app store+gaming.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Speculation is way too early. They wouldn't be going into production *NOW* for a September release.

It'll unnecessarily hold battery life back. There has been no sign that there is benefit to quad-core over fast dual-core.

This CPU is hopfully for something else.... like a AppleTV w/ app store+gaming.

I agree, I think that the 64-bit A7 is plenty fast, fast enough for whatever I am trying to do on a phone. It would be nice though for a faster boot time.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
Totally agree, there is absolutely no need for a Quad-Octa-Core CPU in a mobile phone for the next 1-2years as Dual-Core if designed efficiently is plenty.

Only thing apple needs to do is fine tune the A7 for next model + add 2-3GB of RAM and that will be plenty along with other cosmetic changes as well as better battery and camera!

I also will say that Apple will not add LTE-A to its devices this year 100%

Quad-Octa core CPU's being used in smartphones are nothing but gimmicks that fill the specs sheet to make the phones look and feel super powerful while still not providing polished user experience.

Here are my thoughts:
- A7-A8 Dual-Core Processor
- 2GB or More RAM
- 12MP or better Camera with Better LENS
- Bigger Battery
- 4.3"+ Screen
- NO LTE-A

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'd take dual core again in exchange for better battery life. I agree that there isn't much difference in performance or actually necessity on mobile phones from quad core to dual core processors.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Totally agree, there is absolutely no need for a Quad-Octa-Core CPU in a mobile phone for the next 1-2years as Dual-Core if designed efficiently is plenty.

Only thing apple needs to do is fine tune the A7 for next model + add 2-3GB of RAM and that will be plenty along with other cosmetic changes as well as better battery and camera!

I also will say that Apple will not add LTE-A to its devices this year 100%

Quad-Octa core CPU's being used in smartphones are nothing but gimmicks that fill the specs sheet to make the phones look and feel super powerful while still not providing polished user experience.

Here are my thoughts:
- A7-A8 Dual-Core Processor
- 2GB or More RAM
- 12MP or better Camera with Better LENS
- Bigger Battery
- 4.3"+ Screen
- NO LTE-A

i agree that there will be no LTE-A, there aren't any carriers that even support it in the US. It would be a waste of money to incorporate it. I really would love a true all day battery iPhone, give me 3,000 mAh.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
i agree that there will be no LTE-A, there aren't any carriers that even support it in the US. It would be a waste of money to incorporate it. I really would love a true all day battery iPhone, give me 3,000 mAh.

+1 on this.

Apple won't jump on LTE-A until it is more widely adopted.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I Am sorry, but Apple doesn't do SCREAM. Scream=bad battery life and we know what Apple position is on that. Plus they are on the 64bit path. I don't see anybody clamoring for the Galaxy octo core.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area

I'm not saying it's likely, but it's certainly possible Apple may want to shoot for a June release and that's why they're starting production now. Again, it seems unlikely, but it's not completely unheard of.

regkilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2013
California
My dual core, stock, non-jailbroken iPhone 5s beats my quad core, rooted Android overclocked to 1.89 GHZ in speed and smoothness. Clock the processor a bit higher on the iPhone 6 and keep it at dual core with 2 GB of ram and I'm sold. It will keep up and defeat the next wave of Androids like the current iPhone is doing right now.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
My dual core, stock, non-jailbroken iPhone 5s beats my quad core, rooted Android overclocked to 1.89 GHZ in speed and smoothness. Clock the processor a bit higher on the iPhone 6 and keep it at dual core with 2 GB of ram and I'm sold. It will keep up and defeat the next wave of Androids like the current iPhone is doing right now.

Yup! It really does matter how the software is optimized. The best advantage of the software company using the perfect hardware.

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Me thinks the arm chair engineers aka Apple fans in this thread are Apples worst enemy.

Apple doesn't NEED a quad core huh? Kind of like they didn't NEED dual core? Or didn't NEED 64 bit? Or didn't NEED m7? Etc etc

But by all means let's preemptively cripple future iPhones by only putting in the bare minimum with no future planning. That sounds like Apple doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Btw I'm not saying the iPhone does or does not need anything. Nor am I saying whether it will or won't get anything.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Maybe they can reserve the cores for better multitasking? So lets say we get a split view setup like Win 8, we get 2 cpu cores for both apps.

I could see Apple telling devs to have a multitasking mode of their apps. Not per say the full app, but a widget style optimization.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
So early third quarter, which would be a June or July release right? I'd be stoked

preyan

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
Give me visual innovation and functionality instead of faster processor and more RAM! :rolleyes:
Staring at a faster processor and more RAM ain't much fun :D:(

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Apple is more likely to introduce quad core in the 'S' version. For the next iphone processor, they could switch to 20nm process claiming battery life and speed improvements.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
U sound like the guy who replies to an opinion poll and clicks, Not Sure!

You sound like a guy with terrible analogies.

I was simply saying I don't know if the next iPhone needs to be quad core because none of us know what Apple may have up there sleeves. Could be like the Tegra line where a dual core processor actually has 3 cores. One being an ultra low power core for doing task when the device is idle (notifications and such).

But if I wouldn't have wrote that people would have assumed I thought it was definitely going to be quad core. Try to keep up.....

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
I could care less if it had 128 cores and 16gb of ram. As long as it works the way it always has that's good enough. That's the problem with Android phones. People think they will suck less the longer they wait for new hardware to come out.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I could care less if it had 128 cores and 16gb of ram. As long as it works the way it always has that's good enough. That's the problem with Android phones. People think they will suck less the longer they wait for new hardware to come out.
So speed is not important to you?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I hate Yahoo for their stupid reporting like this. Not only most of the time are they incorrect when it comes to speculation with the new iPhone, even when they do talk about the current iPhone they always get some piece of info wrong. Not just a small piece of info, but something huge.

I remember there was an article a while back. Something like iPhone versus some Android iPhone on Yahoo. They got some of things about the iPhone WWWWAAAAAYYYYY off. I don't remember exactly what is was, but it ticked me off enough to switch to Google for my searching needs.

I now rely on Bing though.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Not at the expense of battery life. What good is a fast phone that dies in 20 minutes.

Why would we see poor battery life? More powerful multi core CPU's are coming out all the time that are more efficient then prior models.

The main thing is time until idle. If a CPU uses 50% more power running at it's max but gets things done 75% faster then it used less battery.

Besides Apple wouldn't do something that severely crippled battery life to that extent (20 minutes).

----------

it's a just a phone, it doesn't need a quad core.. come on! :eek:

It's technically a smart phone. And why did it need anything else it has currently? Dual core, 64 bit, 1 gb of ram, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.