Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Hey all!

My 15" late-2013 rMBP comes today, from the Apple refurbished store! So excited!!

Are there any accessories, cases, or stuff like that I should get? I'd love somethings with Apple, Google, or other just geeky logos, etc. Not a huge fan of stickers, unless they're those really cool vinyl ones. Any idea where to get those?

In addition, I wanted to get a Nifty MiniDrive, but AFAIK the late-2013 rMBP slot is too shallow for the normal one, so any ideas on what I should get instead?

I'm also looking for a Backpack that can hold a lot of books, and won't put pressure on the MacBook, as my previous HP backpack left my cMBP 13" 2010 with pressure marks on the screen, even with a fairly substantial neoprene case.

Thanks All!!

Dave

km9898

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
I'm also looking for a Backpack that can hold a lot of books, and won't put pressure on the MacBook, as my previous HP backpack left my cMBP 13" 2010 with pressure marks on the screen, even with a fairly substantial neoprene case.

I have the Herschel backpack buyed from Apple Store - its perfect for holding rMBP 15". It has its own slot with soft clothed material for the Mac and some other small slots for other thing such as Magic Mouse or iPad/iPhone.
And a slot just for Books or other stuff.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I picked up a case and an external travel HD for my rMBP.
Speck SeeThru clear is a great little case, takes a lot of paranoia off my mind when moving it around. And picked up the WD Ultra 2TB for pretty much everything I do, mostly photo and video storage and such.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Hey all!

My 15" late-2013 rMBP comes today, from the Apple refurbished store! So excited!!

Are there any accessories, cases, or stuff like that I should get? I'd love somethings with Apple, Google, or other just geeky logos, etc. Not a huge fan of stickers, unless they're those really cool vinyl ones. Any idea where to get those?

In addition, I wanted to get a Nifty MiniDrive, but AFAIK the late-2013 rMBP slot is too shallow for the normal one, so any ideas on what I should get instead?

Thanks All!!

Dave

Yeah, Nifty is still working on their Mini Drive for the late 2013 rMBP. I've been waiting (im)patiently for it to release.

Best place for vinyl stickers is etsy.

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I bought a clear iPearl mCover (it has two legs you can use to prop it up) and a 15" sleeve from Amazon so that I can stick it in my work backpack. The sleeve has about 1"-1.25" of slack in each direction, but I did not want a tight fit.

joeytp

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2014
Quebec, Canada
Same for me :)

Speck SeeThru clear is a great little case, takes a lot of paranoia off my mind when moving it around.

Hello,
New here!!! I have the Speck SeeThru clear to giving a fancy glassy look but does not hide the perfect design !!! It also protect from scratches...

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
get an external drive so you can make backups. then make the backups regularly so you won;t be one of those frequent people who start threads "Lost all my data, have no backup, please help"....

There is no excuse for not having backups. Use time Machine, clone, or cloud, but do make several.

In my book the backups come before anything else.

joeytp

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2014
Quebec, Canada
get an external drive so you can make backups. then make the backups regularly so you won;t be one of those frequent people who start threads "Lost all my data, have no backup, please help"....

There is no excuse for not having backups. Use time Machine, clone, or cloud, but do make several.

In my book the backups come before anything else.

Is there a thread i could go to have some info... I would love to buy a external drive to plug it on airport express so my imac and rMBP would backup automatically but i already have a printer in the usb slut ??:eek:

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Is there a thread i could go to have some info... I would love to buy a external drive to plug it on airport express so my imac and rMBP would backup automatically but i already have a printer in the usb slut ??:eek:

The Airport Express only allows sharing of printers, only the Extreme or a Time Capsule can be used as networked storage.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
If you have a tendancy to have water or drinks near your laptop, a keyboard protector. Not only will it keep your keys from wearing down, but if you spill something then you can quickly peel it off and hopefully spare your laptop from most of the damage!

I agree with the others that an external drive is important, too.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd consider a mStand for the rMBP. It look great and when the laptop is on the desk, its up above the stuff that may damage it, i.e., if you have a drink on the desk and knock it over - safe from spills

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Definitely an external hard drive for backups. Western Digital is good.

I got a sleeve from Rickshaw Bags, and I use a Jansport Odessey backpack. It has a padded sleeve inside to add more protection.

You may also want to consider software. You mentioned books, so I'm guessing you're a student. Consider what you'll use to write papers. iWork is free to download as is OpenOffice and Libre Office. You also have MS Office for Mac 2011 or 365 which would have a download of 2011 and possibly 2014 when and if it comes out.

There's also choices for browsers. Safari will suffice for most web surfing, but there's are Chrome, Firefox, and others.

Also VLC if you "acquire" movies. QuickTime doesn't always work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.