Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's CarPlay feature, introduced earlier this week, may be able to be installed in older vehicles, according to new information from Mercedes-Benz. The car company has told 9to5Mac that it is working on "an after-market solution for previous cars," that would allow CarPlay to function in older models.
We've confirmed that at least Mercedes-Benz is looking into aftermarket installations of CarPlay that will allow older models of vehicles to access the feature. While the company confirmed that it is trying to get an "an after-market solution for previous cars" it couldn't confirm when the option might become available. While there is no info yet on how the aftermarket installation would work, we'd imagine it will be a dealer installed accessory for select older models like Honda and others already offer for Apple's Siri Eyes Free feature.
While it is unclear how an aftermarket solution might be implemented, information uncovered earlier this week indicates that CarPlay works in conjunction with BlackBerry's QNX car operating system. The QNX Car Platform is what powers many of the existing in-car infotainment systems installed in a wide variety of automobiles.

volvo_carplay.jpg
CarPlay can be likened to Apple's AirPlay, utilizing in-car infotainment systems to mirror the iPhone's display and functionality, which indicates that it is a technology that can possibly be installed in older vehicles as well as new ones. It will be up to both individual manufacturers and Apple to decide whether aftermarket options will be available for older cars, however. Mercedes-Benz is thus far the only manufacturer that has indicated an aftermarket solution might be possible.

The majority of CarPlay's functionality is supplied by the iPhone, including Siri voice control, Maps and GPS and access to features like messages, phone calls, and third-party apps. While CarPlay does currently require a hardware interface and a wired connection in the form of a Lightning connector, Volvo has indicated that Wi-Fi connectivity is coming in the future.

At the current point in time, CarPlay has only been demoed in cars from Volvo, Ferrari, and Mercedes-Benz, but Apple has struck deals with several other manufacturers including Honda, Ford, GM, Jaguar, and Hyundai, all of which are expected to launch vehicles with CarPlay support in 2014.

Update 1:32 PM: Mercedes-Benz has clarified that its "goal is to offer an after market solution by the end of the year."

Article Link: CarPlay Integration May Be Possible in Older Vehicles, Mercedes-Benz Working on Aftermarket Solution

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I can only imagine that will be a fantastic experience. ;)

I don't know... This CarPlay stuff is rubbing me the wrong way. It reminds me a lot to Apple's 2005 collaboration with Motorola to make the Rokr "iTunes Phone". Two years later, Apple did it right with the iPhone.

I'm not buying that CarPlay is "doing it right".

JoeBlazeX

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Not going to have high hopes but that is reassuring considering I just bought a '12 Mercedes this past Saturday. Hopefully it is not clunky nor a 10k upgrade.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

I don't know... This CarPlay stuff is rubbing me the wrong way. It reminds me a lot to Apple's 2005 collaboration with Motorola to make the Rokr "iTunes Phone". Two years later, Apple did it right with the iPhone.

And "doing it right" would be??? I can't see Apple getting in the business of developing imbedded OSes for automobiles that would have to work with competing devices. Not could I see car companies giving that control to Apple.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Older Mercedes vehicles maybe.

To really support older vehicles, or frankly even most new vehicles, we just need a double DIN solution from the usual folk (Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer, Jensen, JVC, Alpine, etc.).

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Or a single din flip out with bright blue LEDs ;)

A lot of cars these days have screens that are separate from the computer part of the stereo, in theory making it a little easier to just use both.

Of course, I don't expect that many manufacturers to bother doing this. Usually their solution to KNOWN PROBLEMS is to tell customers to buy a new car.

tarproductions

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
San Diego, CA
Will my 2014 GMC Sierra make the cut? GMC redesigned the Sierra for the '14 will an all new infotainment system. I would be disappointed if they weren't forward thinking. iOS in the Car, after all, was announced before these cars were released.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I have a vehicle with Ford Sync and I love the voice features but I would like to upgrade my head unit to something that has CarPlay but the only drawback is my Sync system doesn't need an internet connection to play a song on my phone. Siri does, I live in a somewhat rural area and I don't always have a data signal on my phone and that makes Siri useless.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Older Mercedes vehicles maybe.

To really support older vehicles, or frankly even most new vehicles, we just need a double DIN solution from the usual folk (Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer, Jensen, JVC, Alpine, etc.).

I agree this (third-party double-DIN solutions) would be the ideal solution. Unfortunately, I think we're about to see the near-end, or at least, major decline of after-market car stereo options.

Almost every new car I've seen in the past two-three years has their stereo DEEPLY integrated into a proprietary form factor and non-stereo functions (trip and fuel economy computers, steering wheel control integration, climate controls, dash brightness, etc.), making it near impossible to install often far superior after-market stereo alternatives without losing access to those functions. This is also a disturbing trend since people often keep cars for 10+ years or buy used cars and want to keep their in-car tech up-to-date.

The car companies will tell you this trend is to create a more efficient and integrated/embedded in-car media experience... That's a load of crap. They're doing it so that if that part of your car becomes obsolete you'll have all the more reason to buy a new one, and so that you are entirely invested in their brand, solution, and maintenance/support (chaching). :/

I mean, look at the photo in the artictle... Just try replacing that nightmare with a fully-functioning third-party after-market alternative. Not that you'd need to now, but in, say, five years.

Last edited:

TUD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
I hope the other manufacturers will offer a solution for older vehicles as well.

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
I hope there will be reasonably priced aftermarket systems, would love one in my work car as I'm always on the road. For music I was using AUX to play from iphone but it's too distracting to control it from that tiny screen specially with ios7 so I no longer use that option.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Since this relies so heavily on Siri, what if I buy a car with CarPlay and live in an area with no cell service? I don't have cellular service in my area from any carrier and on days I go into Canada, well then I'm roaming so I get buy with a 30-Pin connector in my VW and an iPod Classic so I have all of my music. iTunes Radio, Pandora and things like that don't work and I use TomTom for iPhone to navigate since it doesn't require a cell connection.

I see CarPlay as needing a 3G or better service to even work, right? I wish Siri worked without a radio connection to a carrier.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'd love a good aftermarket add-on, but I wouldn't want it to be a new head unit. I want to just keep my stock non-touch head unit, and pair an added aftermarket touchscreen with the car's Bluetooth (or USB as the case may be).

Right now, the car's steering-wheel-controls, speakers, and microphone connect to my iPhone by Bluetooth. Just connect this NEW unit to the car the same way. And pair the iPhone to the unit, instead of directly to the car. Simple. Just needs to be mounted somewhere.

Any specific new physical controls (Siri button?) would simply have to be part of the aftermarket screen unit. Good enough. Better than having to get a new car :)

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
My 2002 CLK is waiting......

They'd better hook up my 2005 Pulsar bro!!

In all seriousless though, I want a solution. More people have less expensive Japanese cars than Benz', Volvos and Ferraris.

Mine is actually by choice as I think Japanese cars are the most reliable (based on my parents' multiple European cars having issues, they now drive a Lexus). Also I'm a miser who can't justify spending a lot of money on a depreciating asset.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009

There aren't any similarities between CarPlay and the Rokr. Apple is in complete control of the software here. This looks just like AirPlay, which has been quite successful.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I really can't complain much about my 300's radio. There are 3 improvements I'd do if I were in charge of the design:

* keep updating bluetooth streaming drivers so that more phones are supported by the song info and such.

* reconfigure the steering wheel buttons so you can skip forwards and backwards through presets (right now it can only skip forwards)

* hire a better graphic artist for the UI. It looks a little dated.
system_lg_2013_8.4RE2_chrysler.jpg

The newer dodge version looks a hell of a lot better
uconnect%20access.jpg

Funny thing is it's just a difference in the gradients used. Sheesh.

I will give them credit where it's due though, it's the most straightfoward touchscreen radio I've used. The knobs and steering wheel controls for it are terrific too, and not distracting.

Then again, no texting from the phone, but why the hell would I want to do that while driving anyway? I like driving too much to want to mess around with my phone. I'll check my messages when I get out of the car.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Nice enough, but I really don't see the point in all these CarPlay stories this week (ever since it was announced).

We get it, pricey cars will have a funner, better and even more fantastic in-car experience thanks to CarPlay, it will be magical and unicorns will poop rainbows and strike the world with revolutions of love, happiness and laughter.

Can we just get updated Macbook Pro's and iPhones now?

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
There aren't any similarities between CarPlay and the Rokr. Apple is in complete control of the software here. This looks just like AirPlay, which has been quite successful.

Agreed...

Rokr (and the Razr... which I had, including an iTunes button) wasn't even iTunes IMO. CarPlay IS Apple doing it the right way after years of varying quality 3rd party units (ala the Razr/Rokr).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.