Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I was at the mall today when I came across a kiosk that repairs iPhones and replaces the entire housing cover for $120.00. I was really impressed by the different colors, feel and quality of the aluminum.

My plan is to get an unlocked 5S next week and go to this kiosk to change the housing. I know the risks of the warranty. I was wondering for those that did change their housing cover on their 5S', could you please post pics of yours and your thoughts before I make the move to replace mine.

Here's a pic of the actual housing.

$_35.JPG

$T2eC16hHJIEFHSYEPHiQBSKRWqVn(!~~60_35.JPG

Thanks.

Last edited:

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Looks cool. Your phone, your money, but I would recommend against it. My brother had his iPhone repaired by one of those kiosks and it was never the same.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
the iPhone 5 and 5s have subtle differences when it comes to layout and where things are screwed in so I wouldn't trust this kiosk. Could easily be for the iPhone 5.

Dascoyne

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2013
Palo Alto, Ca
I think "risk losing your warranty" is putting it lightly.
You WILL lose your warranty if there's even evidence of tamper.
Don't do it.

The novelty wears off quickly. Your cool-looking 5s will look dated when the 6 is released. So save your money for your next upgrade.

... but if you need your iPhone to match your gold-plated Lambo in Dubai then go for it.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Thanks Everyone! Ok, I'll stay away from replacing the housing. But those colors housing sure looked good when they had it displayed. Too bad Apple doesn't offer choices in colors for their iPhone 5S' the way this 3rd party did.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Thanks Everyone! Ok, I'll stay away from replacing the housing. But those colors housing sure looked good when they had it displayed. Too bad Apple doesn't offer choices in colors for their iPhone 5S' the way this 3rd party did.

These guys also do the whole anodizing thing as well.

https://www.mendmyi.com

They're based in the UK though - not sure where you are obviously !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.