Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFanBoy91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Hey guys, today my friend offered me his old iPhone 4 for 130$. It is in perfect condition, absolutely nothing wrong with it, and is 16gb. Is it worth it? Especially since it has an A4 processor and likely won't be able to run iOS 8? NOTE: I wouldn't use this as a phone, but more as an iPod touch.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
Hey guys, today my friend offered me his old iPhone 4 for 130$. It is in perfect condition, absolutely nothing wrong with it, and is 16gb. Is it worth it? Especially since it has an A4 processor and likely won't be able to run iOS 8? NOTE: I wouldn't use this as a phone, but more as an iPod touch.

No, not worth it, in my opinion. Maybe if it was 30$. I passed on my iPhone 4 to my son about 2 years ago and he has been complaining for months about how slow it it and unable to cope with ios7. Mind you, he can still make calls, send texts, FaceTime, use email, surf, and take photos, albeit slowly, so depends how you want to use it. I think if you get it you won't be able to resist using it as a proper iPhone and you'll be disappointed. Go for a 5.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
You seem to know all about it, what exactly do you need help deciding? It being worth $130? Depends what $130 is to you. Personally I'd pass, old gadget is old.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

If you said you were only going to use it as a phone I'd say go for it. But as an iPod touch...hmmm. Its low on storage, its at the end of its update life, and its mediocre at best running iOS 7 and its apps.

If it were me it would not be worth it. But thats just my opinion and you know how those are...

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
I would take it only if I can sell it for more. For myself, even if I decide to buy one for some reason, I would not pay more than $20.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
No, not worth it, in my opinion. Maybe if it was 30$. I passed on my iPhone 4 to my son about 2 years ago and he has been complaining for months about how slow it it and unable to cope with ios7. Mind you, he can still make calls, send texts, FaceTime, use email, surf, and take photos, albeit slowly, so depends how you want to use it. I think if you get it you won't be able to resist using it as a proper iPhone and you'll be disappointed. Go for a 5.
Get a new son.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

What OS is it running? If it's still on iOS 5 or 6, I'd actually consider it (but haggle it down to $100 or less). We used our old, off-contract, unlocked iPhone 4 (iOS 5) and 4S (iOS 6) when we went on vacation and performance was quite decent even when compared to the 5s. It's noticeably choppy on some games but otherwise, it worked pretty well as my daily driver for one month.

Then again, I happen to prefer the older 3.5" form factor and have a soft spot for my beloved iPhone 4 so I'm a bit biased. :rolleyes:

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
The iPhone 4 I'm using to type this right now says that is not worth it at all. If you can get a lower price it would be a nice phone to have in a display case. They look nice.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I'll put it this way, I sold my Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 a year and half ago for $200-$300. A friend recently gave me their same exact phone for free. Sooo, yeah.

It's up to you. I would personally get a real iPod touch if you really wanted one.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009

I've been using my iPhone 4 on iOS 7 since beta 1 and I haven't been complaining. I have had my iPhone for 4 years now and I have tried the 5C also.

I will upgrade in September because it's time for a new phone.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I just sold a Verizon 8GB iPhone 4 for ~$95. I probably could have gotten a tad bit more, since I included screen protectors and a case.

It seems like the going price can get up to $125 for the 8GB model (Swappa.com).

If this is from your "friend", I'd offer $100 for it.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
No. The iPhone 4 on iOS 7 is horrid for anything more than phone calls. Everything stutters. Everything. It's like a 2009 era android phone.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

As a phone it could do its job ... As an "iPod" it's too old to work properly. CPU power and ram are a real limit today.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
For twice that you can get a 5 (32gb or larger if lucky), which will likely last 2+ years. The 4 isn't even a viable phone TODAY (IMO, seeing the 4S almost daily I can;t imagine even slower still).

I am not the one spending your money, so not sure what $130 is worth to you, but I am just trying to put it into perspective. $130 today for no updates once iOS 8 hits, or $250 for udpates easily into iOS10 (assuming Apple follows their own footsteps).

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
It depends on your usage, it'll be no good for gaming or anything like that. It'll be fine for social networking, calls and texts etc, though you may need a little patience, the Facebook app can lag slightly. See if you can beat the price down a bit though, or keep an eye out for a secondhand 4s.

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
You lot are such snobs!

I use my iPhone 4 everyday. The stainless steel and glass is unmarked after 4 years of use. Currently running IOS7 without issue - well some apps may take a second to load - but even if I added those seconds together for a month or two, I'm only a minute in the hole.

I use Match for music so storage is not an issue. When I think of the initial cost and divide that by each of the 4 years of use, it was a bargain.

I say if the phone is what you need and you are not going to get stressed by the odd wasted second, go for it. It won't last for ever, but nothing ever does.

jtaylor673

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
Jacksonville FL
I use an iphone 4 everyday. I'm on ios 6 and most of my apps are getting regular updates. I mainly use it for text, pictures, podcasts, language study apps, maps, reading books. Works well. If you could get it for less, I would buy it. That was if you are unhappy, you can sell it and possibly break even. No harm done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.