Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple retained its crown as the number one handset manufacturer among consumers in the U.S., while Google's Android operating system remained the number one platform, according to comScore's latest MobiLens and Mobile Metrix reports. These figures measure smartphone ownership and cover the three months ending January 2014.

comscore-mobilens-makers.png

Apple beat out rival Samsung with 41.6 percent market share as compared to Samsung's 26.7 percent. When comparing changes over the measured periods, Apple, Samsung and LG made small gains, while Motorola and HTC fell. Apple's market share continues to grow, but its rate of adoption is slowing.

comscore_trend_jan14.jpg

Apple may be the top handset maker, but iOS is outnumbered by the volume of Android phones on the market. Apple's iOS platform was number two with 41.6 percent of the smartphone market, while Google's Android OS was number one with 51.7 percent market share in the recently ended period.

comscore-mobilens-platforms.png

iOS was only the platform to gain ground in the three-month period, inching up from 40.6 percent in the period ending October 2013 to 41.6 percent in the most recent period. Android and BlackBerry lost ground, with each platform dropping 0.5 percentage points.

comScore measures both ownership and usage across a customer's primary smartphone and tablet. It uses an intelligent online survey as well as both panel and census-based measurement methods to compile its data.

Article Link: Apple and iOS Continue to Make Small Gains in U.S. Smartphone Market Share

joelisfar

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
Small gains in both the manufacturers and platforms arenas. Slow and steady, so they say.

Gotta wonder how this will look in 5 years.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
while I find those numbers always very interesting - it is also amusing to look at different outlets reporting very different outcomes, always massaged to show what the core readership wants to read (or which message the author wants to send).

As usual, depending on how you look at the numbers, you can read almost anything in them, e.g. looking at manufactures vs OS vs devices (and even there it depends on what do you include in which group).

Bottom line: everyone is doing just fine, nobody is doomed and people have the choice and can buy devices based on there preferences and needs. So it is good news for everyone, even though many try to read bad news for some into it.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
On your mark...get set...

So, I guess it's about time for that miraculous Apple-esque rebound for BlackBerry that so many here in Canada are counting on

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
comScore measures both ownership and usage across a customer's primary smartphone and tablet. It uses an intelligent online survey as well as both panel and census-based measurement methods to compile its data.

What does this mean? And what is an "intelligent" online survey?

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
iOS is terrible

Jonny Ive needs to be replaced with someone who knows what the hell they are doing!

Last edited:

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

What does this mean? And what is an "intelligent" online survey?
it means it was done on excel with macros

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Statistics are such great ways to hide the truth.

Android is not one thing. Android is not one vendor. Android is not compatible with Android.

iOS is one thing. iOS is all by Apple.

So, if we were to redo that chart in an honest manner it would be Apple at the top and way down below them would be all the little Android cloners.

I see iPhones, iPads and iPodTouches all around. I almost never see Androids.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
This reminds me of an older Apple marketshare report, where although Windows had the large majority of the marketshare, the 13" MacBook Pro was the best-selling laptop. Ultimately it's never always about marketshare and I sincerely believe that a lot of PC OEMs, or phone manufacturers who use Android, would be much better off if they didn't offer 1000 different models.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Jonny Ive needs to be replaced with someone who knows what the hell they are doing!

According to Apple, 82% of devices are running iOS 7. Did someone put a gun to people's heads and force them to buy an iOS device or upgrade their existing one? Also do you really believe Jony Ive alone made all the changes to iOS? Apple employs thousands of software engineers/designers. Do you really think none of them had input on iOS? They just implemented whatever Ive wanted whether they liked it or not? If that were the case wouldn't the rumor mill be full of stories about it or wouldn't we hear about employees leaving the company in protest?

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Looks like the "best Android phone", the HTC one hasn't helped HTC very much. It was supposed to turn the company around. Maybe, instead of a 180 degree turn, it did a 360 degree turn!! And it is back to the same place it was.

I am not an HTC basher, in fact if IOS was on the HTC one I would love it.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The U.S. isn't all that matters... but it does matter. And it's where a disproportionate number of the top developers tend to be concentrated, so it has an "unfair" impact on developer attention. I heard a good podcast discussing that effect (might have been Cubed?) but I can't find it now. It's not that nothing gets developed outside the US, but the slant is there.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Could be that people who jumped ship just to try out Android are probably realizing that the grass isn't quite so greener on the other side and are slowly trickling back to iOS's great user experience, Apple's excellent customer service, and the richness of the App Store.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
while I find those numbers always very interesting - it is also amusing to look at different outlets reporting very different outcomes, always massaged to show what the core readership wants to read (or which message the author wants to send).

As usual, depending on how you look at the numbers, you can read almost anything in them, e.g. looking at manufactures vs OS vs devices (and even there it depends on what do you include in which group).

Bottom line: everyone is doing just fine, nobody is doomed and people have the choice and can buy devices based on there preferences and needs. So it is good news for everyone, even though many try to read bad news for some into it.

While I agree with most of what you said, I don't agree with "nobody is doomed".

Almost every phone manufacturer operating in the US other than Apple and Samsung are struggling to even stay in market, reporting losses quarter after quarter.

Some manufaturers like Sony or LG can stay alive for longer because they have revenues in other markets, but they may also give up like Sony did with their computers if they lose too much in the long run. Others like BlackBerry and HTC may not stay alive for long, unless they get acquired like Moto/Nokia did.

Basically: Apple is not doomed. Samsung is not doomed. Google is not doomed. The rest may be.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Have to keep remembering that this is comScore. They measure overall ownership, not short term sales.

Still, when did the iPhone 5S / 5C come out? Wasn't it during the period they're talking about?

The fingerprint sensor might've shift ownership over to iOS a bit.

--

I feel so bad for HTC. Great design, and I used to love them, but personally had too many problems with the USB port.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Have to keep remembering that this is comScore. They measure overall ownership, not short term sales.

Still, when did the iPhone 5S / 5C come out? Wasn't it during the period they're talking about?

The fingerprint sensor might've shift ownership over to iOS a bit.

--

I feel so bad for HTC. Great design, and I used to love them, but personally had too many problems with the USB port.

HTC can't compete with Samsung's marketing budget. Shame really.

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
Samsung is outgrowing Apple by 30% (+1% vs +1.3%), Apple is doomed! :eek:;)

It is surprising though... given that it was primarily new iPhone 5s vs old Galaxy S4 during that quarter.

----------

HTC can't compete with Samsung's marketing budget. Shame really.

I agree... HTC One and Moto X won a bunch of "best of 2013" awards, but neither has the marketing oomph to gain ground.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.