Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Long long story really short…

1. Bought an iPhone 5 launch day 2012, used ATT upgrade
2. Unlocked it via some website for 2$, TMobile Sim worked
3. Got it replaced Jan 2014 for broken ear piece.
4. Next one did not recognize sim, called Applecare bc Apple store is far frm my current location
5. My replacement iPhone 5 were all unlocked.
6. Applecare sent me advanced replacement, wouldn't activate
7. Sent another one, flash didn't work. Went to apple store and that phone had scratches and scuffs so went home.
8. Applecare upgraded me to a free iPhone 5S, but a ATT one.

It is my understanding that since this phone being shipped to me was not purchased under contract, it should already come unlocked correct?

So do I just plug phone in, restore it and thats it to check?

Wasn't as short as I thought, sorry lol.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Only way to check is to restore it and let iTunes activate it for you. If you get a "Congratulations - Your iPhone is unlocked" message, then it's unlocked.

And yes, if the phone was purchased out of contract, then it should be unlocked. If it turns out it IS locked, you should be able to fill out this form, and get it unlocked.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
Or just check the imei on one of those free imei check websites. I've never done the whole restore junk. and mine have always still been unlocked. If it's truly unlocked your imei is Apples whitelist wether you restore it or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.