Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drgnldy1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2014
Just used updated Gmail 3.0 app for the first time yesterday and couldn't figure out how to log off (same thing with Google Search). I noticed that the app had a lot of negative reviews on iTunes, including several complaining about not being able to log off.

Then I clicked on App Support when looking at the Gmail app reviews in the iTunes Store. If you click on the link for “Sign in, sign out, and switch accounts (iPhone & iPad)” under App Support, there are instructions for logging off under the app update (I use iOS 7). In the Gmail app 3.0, it turns out that when you tap your email address/account name at the top left of the screen (at the top of all the mailboxes), there is a “Remove” link at the bottom of the next screen that comes up. If you tap “Remove” and tap “Remove” again, you will log off and it looks just the same as before the 3.0 update. The message provided for "Remove" is misleading. It almost implies that your account will be deleted, but the message can be ignored. “Remove” is the new log off. I tried it several times and it works just fine. And it also signed me out of Google Search.

In Google Search (when logged on), if you tap on your account name in the upper left corner, then tap on "Manage" in the upper right corner, and then tap on "Remove," then tap on "Remove" again, you log off. Then just tap the "X" in the upper left and you are returned to the main Google Search screen.

I don’t think the log on/off process was thought through enough, and "Remove" is not a good word for log off. Other than this, my Gmail is fine and I haven’t had the problems others are having with loading the app and email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.