Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Hi,
I just got a used Late 2009 2.26Ghz 2GB White MacBook. I'm thinking of upping the memory to 4GB because every now and again it will think about things (not the beach ball hang).

Regardless I was looking at ebay to get a cheaper set of ram - a system pull etc.

How do I know for sure that the ram will work? I normally go to crucial.com and use the scanner to buy so I know what I'm getting will work.

Do I just need to find a 204-pin SODIMM DDR3 PC-8500 stick(s)?

Like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-PC3...4206451?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item35d30e73f3

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Below are the memory specs for your machine from here.

1066 MHz PC3-8500 DDR3 SO-DIMM

So yep... the one you linked will work fine. There is nothing special about memory for Macs. If it meets the specs it will work.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Something to consider:
Your Late 2009 MacBook can use up to 8 GB RAM (4 GB x 2) - a fine upgrade, especially if you also upgrade the software to Mavericks.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
...especially if you also upgrade the software to Mavericks.

What do you mean by this...that Mavericks needs more memory to run sufficiently?

The computer will probably only be used for internet, email, and skype/facetime/google hangout video chat (not sure which one, maybe all but not all at one time).

so given that I'm not sure that 8GB is necessary.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What do you mean by this...that Mavericks needs more memory to run sufficiently?

The computer will probably only be used for internet, email, and skype/facetime/google hangout video chat (not sure which one, maybe all but not all at one time).

Give this a read. Mavericks actually has better memory management than previous OS X versions. For the light usage you described, I think you will be fine with 4GB.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware

Yes, and I think quite a few on this site share the same opinion, 8 GB seems to be a "sweet spot" for the system to run efficiently, particularly with Mavericks.

I was also pointing out that your MacBook CAN have more than 4 GB of RAM, despite what Apple says.

And, you may find that YOUR use will be OK staying with 4 GB. You do have a tool, the Activity Monitor, that can help you decide if your might benefit from having more RAM available. The memory tab/Memory Pressure is just a feature that you can keep in mind.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
So I'm going to go with 8gb why not max it out - right!!??

Anyway on crucial's site it says 1.35v, but many other places say 1.5v. Does this matter...if so which should I get?

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
So here is the Macbook running mavericks (10.9 - in the process of updating).

Looks like I'm using all 2GB of memory but the pressure seems to be ok???

I have open - Chrome (3 tabs), App Store (updating), Preferences, and Activity Monitor.

xymii61r20o1

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
I would go with 4 GB with your usage. As much as I am bad about maxing stuff out, like my late 2013 rMBP with 16 GB to play solitaire, I also couldn't justify more than 4 GB for the mid 2009 withe MB I just fixed up. For what it's used for 4 GB is plenty. Spend the $30 and buy those one's off f ebay and be happy.

Victor

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
4 is what I'm thinking... I didn't really want to spend more on this Macbook (outside what I paid for it) but Mavericks does seem to be an improvement over Mountain Lion. So $40 for memory is cheaper than some other OS upgrades!

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
Give this a read. Mavericks actually has better memory management than previous OS X versions. For the light usage you described, I think you will be fine with 4GB.

I have a mid-2009 Macbook, I just upgraded from 2GB to 4GB because trying to do 6GB would be too expensive for me. It works just fine with 4GB, I use my macbook for websurfing, powerpoint, excel, stuff like that so I don't think I need anymore than 4GB.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Quick question.

My MacBook spec on the memory is PC3-8500. I just purchased a 4GB kit on ebay where the title and listing says PC3-8500, but upon further review of the image (using zoom feature) its PC3-10600S.

Can I still use this in the MacBook - its a MacBook6,1 (Late 2009, 2.26Ghz white unibody)??

I'd like to know before I contact the seller for a refund.

Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Quick question.

My MacBook spec on the memory is PC3-8500. I just purchased a 4GB kit on ebay where the title and listing says PC3-8500, but upon further review of the image (using zoom feature) its PC3-10600S.

Can I still use this in the MacBook - its a MacBook6,1 (Late 2009, 2.26Ghz white unibody)??

I'd like to know before I contact the seller for a refund.

Thanks.

The PC3-10600 just has a higher clock speed and in theory would work and just operate at the specified lower PC3-8500 clock speed in your Macbook. I don't have experience with this scenario in your specific Macbook though. I would just pop it in there and see if it works okay. It would not hurt the memory chips or your macbook either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.