Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThrawnTHX

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
So, regarding this octopus of cables sticking out of the back of my Mac...I'm thinking that I have a possible idea but it would require fabrication.

Consider an aluminum bracket (same finish, etc.) that attaches on the top back lip of the Mac Pro and via magnets, connects down the back of the Pro on either side of the connection ports. The back of this plate would bulge out sufficiently for anything that's plugged in, allowing the cables to bend downwards. Essentially, everything would route out near the base in one clump of cables. It would be easy enough to remove for the power button, etc.

Could this prove useful?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Rather than a cover to hide it, I've been thinking of a way to make it look good as it is...

When I worked for a company that did pro audio and video setups, we often sleeved multiple cables together with just enough unsleeved at the ends for the cables to connect where they needed to go. We would use heat shrink to terminate the sleeving on permanent setups. However there are braided sleeving products with splits that allow you to easily add/remove cables from the loom as well. This made for a very clean installation.

02-network-cables.jpg

wbcs6_detail.jpg

02_zipper-sleeve-appl.jpg

You can even braid the individual cables before braiding the bunch, so that the braided look extends all the way to the connector.

You can get carried away like this guy making custom cables if you want...

6247120642_4e6583e2e4.jpg

I'll probably just terminate the braiding with a bit of heat shrink on each cable and then bundle all the cables using a split loom like I posted above.

ThrawnTHX

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Could also fabricate a way to push the power button with this thing still on.

Good point. Could be totally doable. Only thing is other than as a one-of for personal use, I can't see accessories for the Mac Pro being a terribly profitable venture.

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
Consider an aluminum bracket (same finish, etc.) that attaches on the top back lip of the Mac Pro and via magnets, connects down the back of the Pro on either side of the connection ports

Hm. Aluminum and magnets. You might want to re-think that approach...

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
A black riser with an umbilical hub connection ...

that would be like plugging into the matrix.

Reno Richter

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Before you go to too much trouble cleaning up your bird's nest...

Remember Dr. Albert Einstein's many questions...

"If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?"

Three famous people with cluttered desks...Dr. Albert Einstein, Mark Twain and why the nMP was design to create a bird's nest of cables...Steve Jobs!:D

----
Serious: a simple aluminum cover (think topless box upside down) sitting behind the nMP is what I am thinking of tucking all the cables under. Either that or under the aluminum disk on 1 inch legs my fab shop is making for me to set my nMP on to get it above the dust that can accumulate on a large flat surface like an Anthro computer table.

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
Hm. Aluminum and magnets. You might want to re-think that approach...

Not difficult. A thin magnetic strip with adhesive back (easy to find of the shelf) might provide the necessary holding power. Not saying it should or could be done, but doesn't rely completely on magnets sticking to aluminum (which we all know doesn't happen under normal circumstances)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.