Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Love the look and feel of the tablet. I am about to use it.. however, I installed Photoshop element and wanted to draw in it, but it's all pixelated. I know the program is not made for retina MBP, but is it supposed to look this bad? :confused: It's impossible to draw in it.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
The Intuos has nothing to do with it. It is 1000dpi, so even the tiny midget Intuos is already offering a resolution surpassing the Retina MB or 4K displays.

It probably looks crap at 100% magnification, but you should not work in that zoom level for drawing, only for fine tuning. Make the image at least 4 times the screen resolution, and draw at 25% magnification.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
The Intuos has nothing to do with it. It is 1000dpi, so even the tiny midget Intuos is already offering a resolution surpassing the Retina MB or 4K displays.

It probably looks crap at 100% magnification, but you should not work in that zoom level for drawing, only for fine tuning. Make the image at least 4 times the screen resolution, and draw at 25% magnification.

Thank you, I'm going to give this a try!

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Also, the brush you're using can effect this and give a "pixelated" look. Using the actual Brush tool instead of Pencil tool helps.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
They take some getting use to, because the drawable area of the tablet is typically smaller than the screen. You can get away with mapping it to a subset of the total screen if necessary. It's whatever it takes for you to be able to paint smooth strokes as necessary. The issue of a pixelated look is different. If you're not viewing it at greater than 100% and not using a brush with noise or something of that sort, it shouldn't look pixelated. Sometimes people end up with that due to accidentally toggling blending mode from normal to dissolve as they are adjacent. If you keep having trouble post something and I'll see if I can identify the cause.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Op a screen shot will help us determine what is causing the pixelation.

Also, they take time to get used to so make sure to give it a solid month of use. Many people don't like them at first then grow to adore them.

Also make sure to spend some time customizing your Wacom. Not only will you want to map things like Undo, brush, and hot key commands but you'll want to make sure you force proportions on your Wacom so it isn't stretching your drawing. You'll lose a teeny bit of drawing space on the tablet but you'll be able to draw a circle without it looking like an oval.

mac82

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Love the look and feel of the tablet. I am about to use it.. however, I installed Photoshop element and wanted to draw in it, but it's all pixelated. I know the program is not made for retina MBP, but is it supposed to look this bad? :confused: It's impossible to draw in it.

Thank you, I'm going to give this a try!

Also, the brush you're using can effect this and give a "pixelated" look. Using the actual Brush tool instead of Pencil tool helps.

They take some getting use to, because the drawable area of the tablet is typically smaller than the screen. You can get away with mapping it to a subset of the total screen if necessary. It's whatever it takes for you to be able to paint smooth strokes as necessary. The issue of a pixelated look is different. If you're not viewing it at greater than 100% and not using a brush with noise or something of that sort, it shouldn't look pixelated. Sometimes people end up with that due to accidentally toggling blending mode from normal to dissolve as they are adjacent. If you keep having trouble post something and I'll see if I can identify the cause.

Op a screen shot will help us determine what is causing the pixelation.

Also, they take time to get used to so make sure to give it a solid month of use. Many people don't like them at first then grow to adore them.

Also make sure to spend some time customizing your Wacom. Not only will you want to map things like Undo, brush, and hot key commands but you'll want to make sure you force proportions on your Wacom so it isn't stretching your drawing. You'll lose a teeny bit of drawing space on the tablet but you'll be able to draw a circle without it looking like an oval.

Um, guys. She obviously means that the application has not been updated for the retina display. Adobe updated Photoshop, but it doesn't seem too concerned with providing support in Photoshop Elements.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Um, guys. She obviously means that the application has not been updated for the retina display. Adobe updated Photoshop, but it doesn't seem too concerned with providing support in Photoshop Elements.

Correct. Unfortunately, I returned it because Elements doesn't look very good on Retina. Might have to figure out something else or pick up a Samsung Note tablet. Such a bummer. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.