Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:56 PM   #1
ilnyckyj
macrumors member

Keyboard shortcut to open Terminal?

Is there any way to assign a keyboard shortcut to open up Terminal without having to have a third-party program running in the background all the time?
ilnyckyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:23 AM   #2
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

How about Cmd-SpaceBar, otherwise known as SpotLight? I find it to easy to open anything with it.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quicksilver is a better launcher than Spotlight and the resources it uses are not an issue (and I have disabled Dashboard because it uses too much resources)...
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:43 AM   #4
revenuee
macrumors 68020

why not just keep it in your dock?
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:54 AM   #5
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo
Quicksilver is a better launcher than Spotlight and the resources it uses are not an issue (and I have disabled Dashboard because it uses too much resources)...
The threadstarter had said they weren't interested in a third party program. Although I don't really care about whether it is 3rd party or not, just if it works the best. I'll check out Quicksilver.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:05 AM   #6
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12
The threadstarter had said they weren't interested in a third party program.
Well it's one solution (out of many possible). Maybe not the one s/he wanted in the first place, but still a solution, and maybe if s/he gives it a try the benefits are higher than the drawbacks of having to install a 3rd party app running all the time... If s/he don't want to try it, s/he's welcome to ignore the post...
Quote:
Although I don't really care about whether it is 3rd party or not, just if it works the best. I'll check out Quicksilver.
You won't regret it, it has totally changed the way I interact with my iBook...
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:44 AM   #7
ilnyckyj
macrumors member

Quote:
The threadstarter had said they weren't interested in a third party program. Although I don't really care about whether it is 3rd party or not, just if it works the best. I'll check out Quicksilver.
i mean, i don't mind a third party program which edits osx to recognize a new shortcut which opens terminal, but i'd rather not have another program running in the background, that's all.

(i disabled dashboard too, never used it.)
ilnyckyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Bronish
macrumors newbie

Using Automator to Automate

This is coming to the thread a few years late BUT here goes...

I use Automator to launch any application by keyboard shortcut. Must be using Snow Leopard

Steps:

1. Launch Automator from the Applications folder
2. Choose Service
3. The line that states "Service receives selected" change it to "no input"
4. From the Action side drag to the workflow side "Launch Application"
5. For the pull down in the Launch Application action select the application you would like to launch. For Terminal you will have to go to the bottom and select "Other" and find it in the Utilities folder.
6. Save the Service giving it a unique name like Launch Terminal
7. Goto Keyboard Shortcuts tab within the Keyboard System Preferences
8. Select Services from the left pane and scroll down to General in the right pane. You should see your Service.
9. It's not so obvious, but double click to right side of your Services row. This allows you to enter a key combination for the shortcut.
10. Enter a key combination and close System Preferences.

10 steps but really it takes less than a minute to do. Enjoy!

Bronish
Bronish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:50 PM   #9
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronish View Post
This is coming to the thread a few years late BUT here goes...
Man.... you know a threads old when it was before I knew about Quicksilver. Wow... talk about reminiscing. I'm actually done with Quicksilver nowadays, although for a few years I totally swore by it.

Use Spotlight.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:28 AM   #10
yetanotherdave
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to yetanotherdave Send a message via MSN to yetanotherdave Send a message via Yahoo to yetanotherdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12 View Post
Man.... you know a threads old when it was before I knew about Quicksilver. Wow... talk about reminiscing. I'm actually done with Quicksilver nowadays, although for a few years I totally swore by it.

Use Spotlight.
quicksilver seems to be dead in the water. I've switched to alfred, it doesn't have the command line type power of quicksilver, but it's a great program in its own right.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:43 AM   #11
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherdave View Post
quicksilver seems to be dead in the water. I've switched to alfred, it doesn't have the command line type power of quicksilver, but it's a great program in its own right.
Yeah, QS died over a year ago when Snow Leopard came to town. Development has been dead on it for a while though. I tried Alfred for a while but decided against figuring out another program and have just gone back to using Spotlight. Can't complain.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X