Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
My grandma got an iPad for christmas from my family and decided she liked it so much she wants a smart phone. I'd like too keep her with an iPhone simply because I don't want to teach her Android and iOS.

Which iPhone is best? I was thinking of getting her the 5C which would save some money, she wouldn't use the fingerprint scanner or need the specs on the 5S so my other thought is an iPhone 5.

Which would be better for my grandma? 5 or 5C?

(She is getting an Otterbox Defender)

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
5c since you can't really buy the 5 easily anymore. 4S is too old and 5s is too fancy.

Unless she's used to an Otterbox on her iPad, I'd say keep it simple with the case. Since the 5c is polycarbonate, it doesn't really need all the protection that the others do. Plus what's the point in buying a colored phone if you won't show it off? :D

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
5c since you can't really buy the 5 easily anymore. 4S is too old and 5s is too fancy.

Unless she's used to an Otterbox on her iPad, I'd say keep it simple with the case. Since the 5c is polycarbonate, it doesn't really need all the protection that the others do. Plus what's the point in buying a colored phone if you won't show it off? :D

5 is all over Craigslist and eBay. She needs a case, I would like her phone to last a while, she drops her phone all the time. Her iPad has a leather case, which is fine because it generally only at their house or in the car, the iPhone will move a lot. She probably won't pick a flamboyant color so it doesn't need to be shown off :)

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
5c because of the bigger screen compared to the 4s. If you increase the font she will still be able to see more on the screen.

She probably wouldn't need the hardware in the 5s.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I'll go against the grain and say no to the 5c; rather, get the 5s. For only $100 more, she'll have a modern camera and much better processor, as well as the thumbprint scanner. Much simpler than having to type a passcode in every time.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Honestly I would say go with the 5 if she's gonna use the otterbox case. The 5 will be cheaper because you can find plenty on Craigslist/eBay and due to the case the aluminum vs polycarbonate thing isn't really an issue. Not to mention the specs of the 5C and 5 are very similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.