Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After expanding to France last week, Apple's iPhone trade-in program is now available in Apple retail stores throughout Canada as noticed by 9to5Mac. Though not publicly announced, the launch was confirmed on Canadian Apple Store retail pages and in the Apple Store app.

iphone-recycle-canada.jpg
The in-store recycling program allows customers to trade-in an older iPhone model and immediately receive a gift card up to $275 towards the purchase of a new iPhone. The program encourages customers to responsibly recycle their old iPhones instead of throwing them away. SellCell estimates customers are storing and not recycling approximately $13.4 billion in unused iPhones.

This in-store iPhone recycling program debuted in the U.S. last summer and was expanded to include the UK a few months later. Apple also offers a mail-in recycling program that requires customers to send in their iPhone before receiving a credit. Customers may receive more money for their iPhone via the mail-in program, but they lose the convenience of a no-hassle credit that's immediately available to spend on a new phone.

Article Link: Apple's iPhone Trade-In Program Expands to Canadian Retail Stores

Wishbrah

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2013
I am often confused as to what to do with my gently used iPhones when I no longer need them. I used to just throw them away. Thank you, Apple!

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Question: I can bring any old iPhone in any condition and get $275? Can I apply this towards a contract phone? I.e. I bring in an unusable iPhone 3G and apply the 275 towards an iPhone 5s on contract that is 299?

tjanssen1990

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2009
While it's nice that they offer this program it is a horrible deal and you will always easily get an additional $100 or more from kijiji.

The 275 is probably for a 64GB of the latest model in mint condition.

Last edited:

Nickpocalypse

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Vancouver, BC, CA
Question: I can bring any old iPhone in any condition and get $275? Can I apply this towards a contract phone? I.e. I bring in an unusable iPhone 3G and apply the 275 towards an iPhone 5s on contract that is 299?

It says "up to", so, no. What you get will depend on the model of the iPhone as well as it's condition, I'm sure.

If you bring in an unusable iPhone 3G, I'm sure they'll gladly recycle it for you, then look at you uncomfortably until you leave.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada

Haha of course not, you'll get like 0$ for a 3G, yes, I do mean nothing at all.

kdarling

macrumors P6

You can check a similar value at Apple's trade in page.

For an 8GB iPhone 4 in Fair condition:

tradein_iphone_4.png

For a 16GB iPhone 4S in Good condition:

tradein_iphone_4s.PNG

Again, that's directly with Apple, and the values might be different.

Also I'm pretty sure I read that this particular trade-in program only starts with devices worth $120 or more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.