Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
I have a Chromecast right now but I'm thinking about grabbing an ATV because Ido use iTunes and airplay would be nice. Also, using your phone as the remote can get annoying sometimes because the chromecast will lose connection. So my question is, howls PlexConnect on the ATV? I use Plex quite a bit on my chromecast so is like to continue using it with an ATV.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Changes to the ATV makes setting up PlexConnect a real pain. I chucked my ATV and pulled a ROKU (first generation, no less!) out of the drawer which works fine with Plex (although now you have to pay for the plugin -- I got it when it was free). Since I was only using the ATV for Plex, I lost nothing with the move.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
It looks like things have changed much for the better since I deserted it. It was already tough going with a Mac mini server and when it went https I threw in the towel. Now I might have a use for the ATV after all.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
It looks like things have changed much for the better since I deserted it. It was already tough going with a Mac mini server and when it went https I threw in the towel. Now I might have a use for the ATV after all.

Getting PlexConnect to work with OS X Server requires more work. If you don't need the DNS server feature of OS X Server, just turn it off and PlexConnect works perfectly.

Otherwise you have to make the modifications as outlined in this thread:
https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/to...i-got-plexconnect-running-on-os-x-server-107/

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Does PlexConnecf finally have myPlex support? That's why I haven't done it yet.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Which is what I had to do before. But do these mods co-exist with OpenConnect which also makes modifications? I also just remembered that PlexConnect has to run as root which means manually starting it which is also a PITA. I'll probably just stick with ROKU.

PlexConnect now has an autostart launch agent so no need to manually start and stop unless you need to update it or modify the cfg files.

I don't know if OpenConnect works fully with PlexConnect on OS X server. You'll have to ask the OpenConnect dev over at the PlexConnect sub forum. He's very responsive to questions and requests.

----------

Does PlexConnecf finally have myPlex support? That's why I haven't done it yet.

Channels work but not the MyPlex Queue feature. PlexConnect is only at version 0.4, so there's lots to be added.

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Just to clarify MyPlex does work in Plexconnect so you can access Shared Libraries remotely or have multiple accounts on your local network. The Plex Queue is available as well but only through a special Plex Queue channel that is available. Channels, in general, have pretty much always worked but they have just now added the ability to use a Channel's Search functions in Plexconnect, which is a great improvement to ease of use.

Last edited:

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Just to clarify MyPlex does work in Plexconnect so you can access Shared Libraries remotely or have multiple accounts on your local network. The Plex Queue is available as well but only through a special Plex Queue channel that is available.

Where does one find this "special Plex Queue channel"? Somehow I've missed the discussion of this in the PlexConnect forum.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Similar questions here.
Once setup, does it continue to work without any intervention?
Does the script need to remain running on the server??

How reliable is PlexConnect?

I have an Apple TV (newest Gen), and a Mac Mini server, which just runs Plex and is used for file sharing - nothing else. Im looking to move the server and plug it into the TC via ethernet. I then want the ATV downstairs where the mini used to be, connected wirelessly, running Plexconnect as I want to keep all my content in Plex rather then have to move it all into my iTunes library.

At the mo its between Roku and the ATV, although I would prefer the ATV so I can airplay with other devices also.....

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
If your Mac Mini runs 24/7 and you're only using the file-sharing feature, then your setup will be easy. Turn off OS X Server's DNS service, install PlexConnect with the auto-start daemon, and you should be good to go.

PlexConnect, in my experience, has been very reliable. And there are lots of helpful people over in the PlexConnect forum that can offer advice and assistance if you run into some issues with installation or playback.

Similar questions here.
Once setup, does it continue to work without any intervention?
Does the script need to remain running on the server??

How reliable is PlexConnect?

I have an Apple TV (newest Gen), and a Mac Mini server, which just runs Plex and is used for file sharing - nothing else. Im looking to move the server and plug it into the TC via ethernet. I then want the ATV downstairs where the mini used to be, connected wirelessly, running Plexconnect as I want to keep all my content in Plex rather then have to move it all into my iTunes library.

At the mo its between Roku and the ATV, although I would prefer the ATV so I can airplay with other devices also.....

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Has anyone streamed 1080p files to the AppleTV via a wireless connection using Plexconnect?
Is the playback smooth?

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
I have an Apple TV 2, so I'm limited to 720p, but I don't recall seeing any complaints about 1080p playback in the PlexConnect forums. Wired is always better than wireless, but it should be fine.

Has anyone streamed 1080p files to the AppleTV via a wireless connection using Plexconnect?
Is the playback smooth?

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
How is PlexConnect?

I am using AppleTv 3 (plex connect) downstairs in my living room and it's amazing! I have 2 roku3's upstairs in the bedrooms. I deft Recommend the hack. I start a movie downstairs and finish it upstairs

*wired stream*

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.