Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Hi,

I'm thinking about creating a 5.1 system hooked up to Mac mini but I will do it step by step.

1st step: Stereo.
2nd step: 2.1
3rd step: 5.1 with wireless surrounds.

I want active speakers, something like Genelec 8030 for L/C/R. Now I'm a very newbie in this area so I have no idea AT ALL how to connect these, or all of these, to my Mac. Someone told me I need a 5.1 pre-amp.
I'm open to all suggestions (about how to connect, what sub, what surround. Even what app. Should I need Amara etc.).
So please helps.

(I hope I post on the right forum. If not, mod please move)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have a pair of Genelec powered studio monitors...Mot cheap, but I can highly recommend them...For their size the power and sound reproduction is second to none.

They are pricey, but well worth the investment.

Attachments

• Genelec.jpg
    Genelec.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 847

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I have a pair of Genelec powered studio monitors...Mot cheap, but I can highly recommend them...For their size the power and sound reproduction is second to none.

They are pricey, but well worth the investment.

Thank you. That's great to hear. But what is their shortcoming, if they have one?

Also, how do you connect it? Balanced or unbalanced?

Raventhornn

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
Thank you. That's great to hear. But what is their shortcoming, if they have one?

Also, how do you connect it? Balanced or unbalanced?

Here is a review from Gearslutz on the 8030's http://www.gearspace.com/board/reviews/684419-genelec-8030-a.html

Also more than a few threads out there, suggest when dealing with the genelec's - if you're going with a sub, you should pick that & then pick the 'sides' based on the sub [just throwing that out there].

Next, if you can manage it, balanced should always be your first choice for cables.

Now I will ask, why do you want your Mac driving a 5.1 solution? Outside of movies, your mac doesn't directly support anything beyond stereo [from a decoding perspective].

Raventhornn

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Here is a review from Gearslutz on the 8030's http://www.gearspace.com/board/reviews/684419-genelec-8030-a.html

Also more than a few threads out there, suggest when dealing with the genelec's - if you're going with a sub, you should pick that & then pick the 'sides' based on the sub [just throwing that out there].

Next, if you can manage it, balanced should always be your first choice for cables.

Now I will ask, why do you want your Mac driving a 5.1 solution? Outside of movies, your mac doesn't directly support anything beyond stereo [from a decoding perspective].

Raventhornn

Thank you for the link.

I might not be clear enough. 5.1 is for movies only. I hope my system will be able to play either 2.0, 2.1 or 5.1 as the sources demand. But I will start first with a stereo for some months.

How is your opinion about the Amara? Does it improve the music significantly enough?

Raventhornn

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
How is your opinion about the Amara? Does it improve the music significantly enough?

You mean Sonic Studio's Amarra?

If so, I have no personal experience with it - Personally I don't buy into software based enhancement of audio, just my personal stance.

I believe it's more important to have a clean source, and a clean playback pipeline. As for it's additional features [if we're talking about the player], if you think it's worth it go for it. You will eventually need to get a external amplifier or decoder to get to your 5.1 solution [and if you are going that route, I think you'd be better suited getting passive monitors], so any EQ work would be better addressed externally, in my humble opinion.

I think you are really going about your solution backwards, you are identifying your solutions for your first step/second step - instead you should map your end state, and then work backwards otherwise you are going to make compromises with your finished 5.1 solution, because you needed in use stuff for your 2.0 solution - or you are going to have to replace pieces [which in turn is additional cost].

Again those are just my thoughts.
R_

BTW you may want to check http://www.avsforum.com/f/ - it's an audiophile centric forum, however they cover a great deal of stuff, including home theatre setups & gear. You may find it useful to map the finished product you are shooting for.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
You mean Sonic Studio's Amarra?

If so, I have no personal experience with it - Personally I don't buy into software based enhancement of audio, just my personal stance.

I believe it's more important to have a clean source, and a clean playback pipeline.

I understand. And this is also the strength of SS's Amara. You can open the app whenever you want. If you don't, then you just listen to the original rip on your iTunes (The Amara just acts like a layer on top of iTunes). It's as simple and I really love that. Only still not fully convinced of "will it worth?". Hopefully somebody with experience could chime in.

You will eventually need to get a external amplifier or decoder to get to your 5.1 solution [and if you are going that route, I think you'd be better suited getting passive monitors], so any EQ work would be better addressed externally, in my humble opinion.

I think you are really going about your solution backwards, you are identifying your solutions for your first step/second step - instead you should map your end state, and then work backwards otherwise you are going to make compromises with your finished 5.1 solution, because you needed in use stuff for your 2.0 solution - or you are going to have to replace pieces [which in turn is additional cost].

Again those are just my thoughts.
R_

BTW you may want to check http://www.avsforum.com/f/ - it's an audiophile centric forum, however they cover a great deal of stuff, including home theatre setups & gear. You may find it useful to map the finished product you are shooting for.

Practical suggestion. I thank you. I'm thinking about this a lot. I come to this conclusion because stereo is the most important (to me), and I love Genelec sound, so I want to build the system around this. Compromise on 5.1 is fine as long as I got great stereo I want.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
There a guy connects his digital 5.1 Genelecs to his Macbook Pro through this..

afi1-2.jpg

It's overkill for me but I envious. Really smart.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Mine run through a Yamaha board, which in turn runs to my iMac and my Onkyo system in the living room.

If there is a criticism to be made, the Genelecs are very bright, but they are made that way as they are designed for studio work.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
This is the board I use for recording work...it has phantom power for my Rhodes, and it's very flexible....I can connect it to AV equipment in order to get a real world idea of sound

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    846.3 KB · Views: 237

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
If there is a criticism to be made, the Genelecs are very bright, but they are made that way as they are designed for studio work.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I go test-drive.

----------

This is the board I use for recording work...it has phantom power for my Rhodes, and it's very flexible....I can connect it to AV equipment in order to get a real world idea of sound

Really nice. If only I'm a pro... :mad:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Great speakers. I prefer the old 103x series, though there's nothing wrong with the 8xxx ones.

Ah.. Yes, that's much more powerful speakers than most of 8xxx line. Mostly 3-way too. And minimum of 10 inches woofer. :eek:
I just can imagine how great it will be.

Last edited:

Silvrbill

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
The Focal line of powered speakers are certainly worth a look too.
I own the Solo6be's paired with a Rythmik F12 sub and fed from my Antimode 2.0 connected via usb.
The Antimode has both balanced and unbalanced outputs that can be used at the same time.
Balanced to the Solo's and unbalanced to my sub.
It's more than I need for a desktop setup (the Solo's are too deep for my desk, I have them on stands) but my music and movies sound fantastic.
If you look on the AVS website be sure and look under the subwoofers, bass and tranducers section for sub advice.
Those guys are serious about their equipment.

Last edited:

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
I have had a pair of 2029's and the matching sub for years.
( used professionally for recording / mixing )

They have been really great BUT they do tend to be quite "kind" to
everything, making things sound great when they are not.

You need something revealing of problems also.

You have to get used to that - same with any new monitor system.

I now also use Adam A7X's and prefer them, they are very flat and not
so flattering.

M.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
I have had a pair of 2029's and the matching sub for years.
( used professionally for recording / mixing )

They have been really great BUT they do tend to be quite "kind" to
everything, making things sound great when they are not.

You need something revealing of problems also.

You have to get used to that - same with any new monitor system.

I now also use Adam A7X's and prefer them, they are very flat and not
so flattering.

M.

I think that's why the newer models changed...mine are very "top loaded" so any hiss or defect is easily discerned. I rarely use them for just listening to music, as it means a heavy EQ change..I just run through my Onlyo system if I'm listening for pleasure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.