Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone-6-hero-two-sizes.jpg
Apple's much rumored larger iPhone is said to be a variation on the iPhone 5c rather than the iPhone 5s, according to a new report from Mac Otakara. Sources indicate that the larger iPhone would be an expansion to Apple's lineup rather than replacing the positions currently held by the iPhone 5s and 5c.

Mac Otakara's sources claim Apple has decided on 4.7-inch and 5.7-inch displays as potential candidates for new iPhone models that would launch later this year. These two sizes originally were singled out by Reuters in a report published last year.

This new iPhone model may keep the basic design of the iPhone 5c such as the rounded back edges, button designs, and speaker/microphone hole designs, with some inspiration from the seventh-generation iPod nano. The latest iPod nano models are available in a range of colors like the iPhone 5c, but feature an anodized aluminum design instead of polycarbonate.

Sources also claim the 4.7-inch iPhone will measure at 14x7 cm, while the 5.7-inch model will be larger with dimensions of 16x8 cm. Possibly both models will be 7 mm thick with a protruding rear camera as seen on the current iPod touch models, although it the report indicates that the final version of the phone could be expanded to 7.5 mm thick to match the thickness of the camera module. The design for the phones should already be complete for a launch later this year, so it is unclear if Mac Otakara's sources are sharing information from earlier in the design process or if there is simply still some uncertainty in the sources' information.

Rumors about Apple's next generation iPhone have been scattered, with reports suggesting the iPhone 6 will adopt a "bezel-free" display and a 10-megapixel or higher camera module with an improved filter. A sketchy report from earlier this year also claimed Apple was working on an iPhone with a 5.6-inch display that would not be marketed with the iPhone name because of its experimental nature.

Mac Otakara has a reasonably strong rumor track record, correctly predicting the dual-LED flash for the iPhone 5s and the designs for the fifth-generation iPod touch and seventh-generation iPod nano.

Article Link: Apple's Larger iPhone Design Said to Be Inspired by iPhone 5c and iPod Nano

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Everytime I hold the 5c, I'm impressed with its design. Feels much nicer in my hand than my 5S. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Last edited:

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
I don't want the 4.7 model to be the "midrange", like the 5c, and the 5.7 inch model to be the flagship. I for one do not want a screen larger than 5 inches, but also don't want to have to buy a midrange phone. Just make the iPhone 6 available in two sizes, both same quality, and call it a day.

mKizzo

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Sounds fishy to me.

It's well known that the iPhone 5C didn't sell anything like they anticipated, so doesn't make any sense to base your next flagship model on an under-performing product.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Interesting that it will be neither a 5s nor 5c replacement. Maybe it's a phone with high-end internals but cheap casing? People don't seem to mind paying more for a plastic Note 3 than for a 5s because of its large screen and high specs. Maybe Apple is aiming for something similar? That would surprise me but you never know.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
4.7-inch and 5.7-inch display. I'm all in. Hoping for a 1080x1920 display on both.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Everytime I hold the 5c, I'm impressed with its designed. Feels much nicer in my hand than my 5S. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

I was surprised too. It really is a better design.
I think that's why you can't get it in black or gold; it would compete.

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I'm psyched for a bigger iPhone, but goodness, I want better battery life. I currently use a mophie to get through the day and would love a slim case that keeps that beautiful design in perspective without having to plug in around early evening.

iPhone 5s 32gb space grey

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
sounds incredibly ugly.

Hope there's still a 5s inspired larger iPhone

Yes it does, I always wondered how long apple would be able to put out super high quality builds.......I guess the 5S will be known as the last really nice build. I may jump to android before buying apples super duper magical plastic..............that nobody like to call plastic.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Interesting that it will be neither a 5s nor 5c replacement. Maybe it's a phone with high-end internals but cheap casing? People don't seem to mind paying more for a plastic Note 3 than for a 5s because of its large screen and high specs. Maybe Apple is aiming for something similar? That would surprise me but you never know.

Certainly. The 'Leika' quality finish gets concealed by the cheap protection covers.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It feels like they could just add the phone app to the iPhone mini and call it a day. That is essentially what Samsung did. Actually I would hate that, but it does seem like there are people that want a phone bigger than their head. Personally, I would love it if they kept the same 5s form factor and just got rid of the bezel. That would expand the screen size enough for me and still allow me to work with only one hand. For the two fisters out there, there may be a size between the iPad mini and the phone that would work, but I am not convinced.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
7 cm in words: SEVEN cm? the iphone 5 isn't even 6 cm wide, why on earth would this thing have such bezels?

a 4.7" display with a 16:9 ratio would be 5.85 cm wide (correct me if I'm wrong). so this thing would have 0.575 cm Bezel on each side?

Guess some so called "Analyst" has played the guessing game again... :rolleyes:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
For all the disputers of this rumor, I've attempted to improve its credibility:

9kCdmHN.png

…I may be doing something wrong.

Last edited:

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
I actually bought a 5c, and I'm very impressed by the design. After spending over a year with an iPhone 5, it's a welcome switch because I can actually hold it without a case. Anyone dismissing the 5c too easily clearly has never used one.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
I call BS. I like the 5C, but it did not sell. I find it more likely that Apple is coming up with a design that's not closely based on either the 5S or the 5C -- they have to redesign it to fit a bigger screen on there, so why base it on a previous model, especially one that didn't sell?

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Ugh. Just bring back the iPhone 4S design with a larger screen. Why is that so hard. IT was the best looking iPhone to date and gave the best reception!

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Yes it does, I always wondered how long apple would be able to put out super high quality builds.......I guess the 5S will be known as the last really nice build. I may jump to android before buying apples super duper magical plastic..............that nobody like to call plastic.

How about you wait until apple announces a phone in 6 months and then get upset if it isn't what you want. I am willing to bet the next iPhone will be every bit as high quality if not more so than the 5s

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
An iPhone without the iPhone name? You mean like the Star Trek prequel series, Enterprise? You could call it the iEnterprise, and when no one knows what you're talking about, you could change its name to iPhone Enterprise, right before canceling production.

Or just put a phone on an iPad Mini and tell Dell and Samsung to suck it.

jasonbogen

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2006

The article clearly states it would NOT be plastic. I don't know where everyone is getting this (perhaps not reading the whole thing). They said it would be the same design as the 5c, with the rounded edges, but in anodized aluminum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.