Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

which would you do?

• Take the $150 as a hard loss and buy another from good friend knowing im in good hands

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Just use the one I have now, even though its inferior and no warranty and from a scammer

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I have to say being scammed, ripped off is the most worst feeling ever inside you. Knowing someone took advantage of you and is laughing right this second is not something that sits well with me.

Heres what happened. My latch on my necklace that Ive been wearing for the past 4 years broke and was looking for a new one. I ended up buying a necklace that had tags and papers showing authenticy (Tiffancy and Co.) and well turns out theyre fake. I even felt the papers and I have real ones from other authentic Versace and Prada items I own, and it felt the same.

So I paid $150 for something that is worth $50 (according to the jewellry store appraiser). He says even though mine is a fake, its a much better quality and still worth something. $50. He says that the quality of mine plus the papers and tags, pretty much no one would be able to tell theyre fake.

I was dumb and should have held off when I met up with this seller. But I walked in, they showed me it, I loved it and got suckered in. Then when I bought it, I had second thoughts and took it over to a jewellry store to get it checked out.

Now Im pissed. The person i bought it from was someone off Craigslist who has a small shop that she sells this stufff out of. When I showed up to the shop, I was a bit skeptical and caught off guard. No signage, no nothing. But I was stupid and gave the seller the benefit of the doubt that theyre still a legit person and perhaps the shop wasnt an issue. Not everyone can afford nice shops. Maybe shes just moved here and doing this to get by in life.

Anyways, they wont take it back, theyre ignoring my phone calls and texts. Before the sale, they were so quick in answering my calls, and all the questions I had.

Im stuck with something that I dont feel good about owning. I could wear it but I just dont feel good knowing that if I ever have to bring it back for warranty purposes, a scammer is the last person i want to see or deal with. There is no way i would ever want to see this scum again in my life. She is not even worth the gas in driving over. That is a big reason why I decided to buy from her because she offered me a 2 year warranty and if anything goes wrong, I can take it back to her no questions asked. Well consider that warranty a bunch of BS. There is none.

Heres my dilemna, I have a friend who has sold me authentic jewellry before and is 100% authentic. He runs a small shop as well but is actually a legit licensed shop with good client and rep. Not some shady individual who rents an outhouse and cant even afford to put up signage.

I once had to have one piece replaced, but he took care of me with the up most professionalism and care. He knows how to take care of his customers. When you buy from him, you know you are in good hands. I was originally wanting to buy from him, but I lost his number and only had his email. I emailed him a ways back and didnt hear back in a week. So I got a bit impatient and started looking elsewhere to buy. Well turns out, he got back to me yesterday! Uhhh what awful timing, just after I bought this fake one. It was all just the matter of literally 36 hours, that could have prevented me from getting scammed.

I could go buy one off him and in faith knowing I have a REAL warranty with it. Then take the $150 I spent on this fake one as a loss and toss the necklace or give it away. I cant resell it obviously. Even if i could, its a major PITA and i honestly cant be bothered with the hassle. Id have to accept it as $150 down the toilet. Coming from someone like me who absolutely cant stand wasting money, this does not sit well with me at all. I know $150 is not a lot but its still money, whether its $150 or $15 and to me its still a good chunk of pocket change that could buy me a half week of groceries. But instead its gone to this scumbag.

Or my other option is to just stick with what I got now, knowing I have no warranty and knowing I overpaid by a huge margin for an inferior product from some scammer. This would not sit well with me either. I grudge just thinking about it.

Right now its really bothering me knowing I have an inferior product, overpaid for and no warranty. So im 99.9% certain im going to buy another from my good friend, knowing I am in good hands and take it as a hard loss. $150 loss for me is really hard to swallow. I dont know what ill do with this fake necklace.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I'm sorry to read this.

When my wife and I lived in California I bought her several pieces of jewelry...mostly diamond and jade. I bought the loose diamonds from trusted dealers but would have them set at a few differnt jewelry makers. Whn it came to setting the stone(s) I always sat next next to the jewler during the process. Our diamonds never left our sight and control. I heard stories from friends how stones had been switched and they had no proof positive to go back on them.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Now Im pissed. The person i bought it from was someone off Craigslist who has a small shop that she sells this stufff out of. When I showed up to the shop, I was a bit skeptical and caught off guard. No signage, no nothing.

I'd go back to the store and demand they take it back.

Or my other option is to just stick with what I got now, knowing I have no warranty and knowing I overpaid by a huge margin for an inferior product from some scammer. This would not sit well with me either. I grudge just thinking about it.

Right now its really bothering me knowing I have an inferior product, overpaid for and no warranty. So im 99.9% certain im going to buy another from my good friend, knowing I am in good hands and take it as a hard loss. $150 loss for me is really hard to swallow. I dont know what ill do with this fake necklace.

You could always give it as a gift to someone.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I'd go back to the store and demand they take it back.

You could always give it as a gift to someone.

They wont take it back I gaurnetee.

Like I said, theyre not even worth the gas driving there.

I could gift it, or just toss it out. But $150 down the toilet is gonna be hard for me to swallow. Like I said, ive never been in this situation before so thats why i want to hear from others who have been scammed before and how they handled it and accepted it.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

I could gift it, or just toss it out. But $150 down the toilet is gonna be hard for me to swallow. Like I said, ive never been in this situation before so thats why i want to hear from others who have been scammed before and how they handled it and accepted it.

Then just throw it away and take the $150 hit which sucks.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010

Easier said than done. If I was filthy rich and made of money, $150 would be nothing to me. But unfortunately, Im not made of money and $150 buys me a lot of useful stuff.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I understand how you feel about wasting money, but now you have a purchase that only serves as a lesson, and makes me feel like you would never actually wear it again.

So, another option:
Take the fake to your friend's shop.
If one appraiser felt your piece has some value, despite being a reproduction/fake, then your friend may have a suggestion about how to dispose of it, or to use it as a part payment for something more to your liking.

Your friend should understand that folks sometimes make mistakes. Being in jewelry business, they will also know how easy it is to get taken.

Time to move on.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Easier said than done. If I was filthy rich and made of money, $150 would be nothing to me. But unfortunately, Im not made of money and $150 buys me a lot of useful stuff.

It does suck but what can you do. You can either keep stressing about it or you could just chalk it up to a bone head move and move on. Just buy the one from your friend and enjoy it.

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
So why did you buy a necklace in the first place? I think it's most useless thing you can buy when you have money troubles...

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
I understand your frustration.

But do know that it could have been worse. When I was 17 I totaled my recently purchased Toyota camry. It was a beautiful used car I bought with my summer job money. I lost $1800 because I didn't have a collision policy on my insurance (the accident ruled as my fault... Pretty ridiculous in my eyes). It was very hard to accept for a long time, considering I always work for my rewards and don't get much handed to me all the time.

Does it suck to lose money? Hell yes. Is it worth sulking over? Nah... We have a whole life to enjoy. :)

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Take it as a life lesson. If it is too good to be true, then it probably is. I am sure it is not a good feeling, but we must move on. We all learn from our mistakes.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
When you make jewellery you soon realise how much of a pile of crap most mass manufactured jewellery like prada and tiffany is.

Go find some proper jewellers who make unique work and sell it for reasonable prices.

Caromsoft

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
When you purchase anything there is objective value and subjective value. The objective value of the piece is $50 according to your friend. Another expert might value it higher or lower.

But the subjective value is what you felt the piece was worth to you when you purchased it. You loved it when you saw it and paid $150. So you loved it at $150 but hate it at $50? Would you love it more if it was valued at $250?

It sounds like you were in love with the deal you thought you were getting rather than the piece itself. If that is the case sell it to someone for $50 and move on. You made a bad investment and took a loss. It happens. Like any investment you need to have knowledge in the area and know the risks involved.

If that is not the case, and you truly loved the piece when you saw it, then wear it and enjoy it. I doubt one person on the planet will be able to tell it is only worth $50 and not $150 when it is hanging around your neck.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

IMO just keep it. Although fake, still looks decent and has some value. Whenever it breaks, worry about getting a new one then but be careful.

Don't weep over it too much. Pretty much anything these days is a rip off. When you buy a car or house... or anything... you might feel scammed again.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
It does suck but what can you do. You can either keep stressing about it or you could just chalk it up to a bone head move and move on. Just buy the one from your friend and enjoy it.

Ya thats what im gonna do, buy from my friend and know im in good hands. I just wish I wasnt so impatient and waited the extra day cause that would save me. :mad:

Im gonna try to recoup some money back by selling the fake one. Even if i get $50 for it, it at least cuts down my losses.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
If your guy is so reliable and knows how to take care of his customers, why a week to answer an email?

If you were happy with the item when you bought it, why not just keep the damn thing, regardless of the money?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I have to say being scammed, ripped off is the most worst feeling ever inside you. Knowing someone took advantage of you and is laughing right this second is not something that sits well with me.

Heres what happened. My latch on my necklace that Ive been wearing for the past 4 years broke and was looking for a new one. I ended up buying a necklace that had tags and papers showing authenticy (Tiffancy and Co.) and well turns out theyre fake. I even felt the papers and I have real ones from other authentic Versace and Prada items I own, and it felt the same.

So I paid $150 for something that is worth $50 (according to the jewellry store appraiser). He says even though mine is a fake, its a much better quality and still worth something. $50. He says that the quality of mine plus the papers and tags, pretty much no one would be able to tell theyre fake.

I was dumb and should have held off when I met up with this seller. But I walked in, they showed me it, I loved it and got suckered in. Then when I bought it, I had second thoughts and took it over to a jewellry store to get it checked out.

Now Im pissed. The person i bought it from was someone off Craigslist who has a small shop that she sells this stufff out of. When I showed up to the shop, I was a bit skeptical and caught off guard. No signage, no nothing. But I was stupid and gave the seller the benefit of the doubt that theyre still a legit person and perhaps the shop wasnt an issue. Not everyone can afford nice shops. Maybe shes just moved here and doing this to get by in life.

Anyways, they wont take it back, theyre ignoring my phone calls and texts. Before the sale, they were so quick in answering my calls, and all the questions I had.

Im stuck with something that I dont feel good about owning. I could wear it but I just dont feel good knowing that if I ever have to bring it back for warranty purposes, a scammer is the last person i want to see or deal with. There is no way i would ever want to see this scum again in my life. She is not even worth the gas in driving over. That is a big reason why I decided to buy from her because she offered me a 2 year warranty and if anything goes wrong, I can take it back to her no questions asked. Well consider that warranty a bunch of BS. There is none.

Heres my dilemna, I have a friend who has sold me authentic jewellry before and is 100% authentic. He runs a small shop as well but is actually a legit licensed shop with good client and rep. Not some shady individual who rents an outhouse and cant even afford to put up signage.

I once had to have one piece replaced, but he took care of me with the up most professionalism and care. He knows how to take care of his customers. When you buy from him, you know you are in good hands. I was originally wanting to buy from him, but I lost his number and only had his email. I emailed him a ways back and didnt hear back in a week. So I got a bit impatient and started looking elsewhere to buy. Well turns out, he got back to me yesterday! Uhhh what awful timing, just after I bought this fake one. It was all just the matter of literally 36 hours, that could have prevented me from getting scammed.

I could go buy one off him and in faith knowing I have a REAL warranty with it. Then take the $150 I spent on this fake one as a loss and toss the necklace or give it away. I cant resell it obviously. Even if i could, its a major PITA and i honestly cant be bothered with the hassle. Id have to accept it as $150 down the toilet. Coming from someone like me who absolutely cant stand wasting money, this does not sit well with me at all. I know $150 is not a lot but its still money, whether its $150 or $15 and to me its still a good chunk of pocket change that could buy me a half week of groceries. But instead its gone to this scumbag.

Take the $150 as a loss and get the real thing. Screw the logically advise. Why would you want to wear a reminder of being scammed? Like you said, you just wouldn't feel good about it. Lesson learned, move forward.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013

I personally haven't been scammed through purchasing jewellery however I have a friend who was. Long story short, he purchased a well known branded watch, thought it was real, but was a replica. He lost a good chunk of pocket change and of course was furious at the time.

However, although he lost money and received a fake product, he accepted his loss and moved on. On used classifieds you'll usually see "buyer beware" or something along those lines. When buying anything (especially jewellery), you always wanted to have the item checked out by a business which specializes that item, to determine its authenticity.

Although you purchased a fake item, you could attempt to retrieve your money back but at the end of the day you may as well cut it as a loss and move on, claim it as a life lesson learned like those above said.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
If your guy is so reliable and knows how to take care of his customers, why a week to answer an email?

If you were happy with the item when you bought it, why not just keep the damn thing, regardless of the money?

He was on vacation.

Im not happy with what i got because its not as good as the one i had before. I miss a key feature on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.