Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 11, 2014, 04:59 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Blizzard's Free-to-Play 'Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft' Launches on Mac




Blizzard Entertainment's digital card game Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft has publicly launched on the Mac after a brief public beta period. The free-to-play collectible card game is set in the Warcraft universe, allowing players to compete with Magic-style decks in one-on-one fights via Battle.Net -- Blizzard's online gaming platform -- or against the computer.

Though it's only launching on Mac and PC today, Blizzard has promised iPhone and iPad versions of the game as well.
Quote:
The Hearthstone beta is complete and we wanted to take a moment to thank all of our participants for their incredibly valuable feedback and support. If you haven't had the chance to jump into the game, now is the perfect time to check out the fast-paced strategy card game that's fun for everyone. If you're new to Hearthstone, getting started is simple: Just visit playhearthstone.com and click on the "Play Free Now" button. Once your download is finished, fire it up and click on the Hearthstone icon. Install Hearthstone, then hit the "Play" button and you'll be on your way.

As soon as you jump in you'll challenge iconic Warcraft characters, including the ferocious Hogger, the mischievous Millhouse Manastorm, and the wise Lorewalker Cho. As you progress through these introductory missions, you'll hone your card-slinging skills in preparation for a climactic battle against Illidan Stormrage! You are not prepared . . . for this much fun!
System requirements are fairly generous, requiring an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, although Blizzard recommends an Intel Core i3 or better, along with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M or ATI Radeon HD 5670 or better graphics card.

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft is a free download from Blizzard's website.

Article Link: Blizzard's Free-to-Play 'Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft' Launches on Mac
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Switchfoot
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
FTP or IAP?
Switchfoot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:05 PM   #3
the8thark
macrumors 68040
 
the8thark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
It's launched on OS X and Windows. And in the future Blizzard will put out iOS and Android clients of the app so it'll be tablet playable too. Blizzard has not promise iPhone and iPad. They just said iOS and Android so far. After playing the game I don't think it'll get an iPhone release, only iPad.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchfoot View Post
FTP or IAP?
Freemium. But you can play 100% free without buying any card packs (you can earn them) and without buying arena entries (you can earn those too). The game is more pay to grind less.
__________________
Congress shall make no law . . . prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.
the8thark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:09 PM   #4
Schranke
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denmark
Have been playing the beta for a long time now and i like the game
Will be nice once it comes for iPad
__________________
Photography sure is fun http://schrankenmuller.smugmug.com
Schranke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:15 PM   #5
Rodster
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2007
Will this run on my 2012 Mac mini?
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:16 PM   #6
Dookieman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
It's launched on OS X and Windows. And in the future Blizzard will put out iOS and Android clients of the app so it'll be tablet playable too. Blizzard has not promise iPhone and iPad. They just said iOS and Android so far. After playing the game I don't think it'll get an iPhone release, only iPad.

----------


Freemium. But you can play 100% free without buying any card packs (you can earn them) and without buying arena entries (you can earn those too). The game is more pay to grind less.
They have stated an iPhone version will also be released, in addition to iPad.
Dookieman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:16 PM   #7
tmpkn
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
This game is a natural for an iPad.
tmpkn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:16 PM   #8
JerryCards
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
 
Send a message via Skype™ to JerryCards
I will try it out tonight.
JerryCards is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:17 PM   #9
DCstewieG
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
Will this run on my 2012 Mac mini?
No problem. It ran fine for me on a white MacBook with the 9400m.
DCstewieG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:21 PM   #10
Oppressed
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
I'm an experienced player that has been playing the beta since September so if you are looking for a friend add Oppressed#1555 to your friends list.

To answer some questions so far in the thread. This is F2P with IAP. Packs of 5 cards are 1.99 or less, but the same packs of cards can be earned just by playing the game naturally. You should on average earn a pack of cards every two days with a casual amount of play time.

Also you can be the best at this game (legend rank) without spending a penny. Many streamers on twitch.tv demonstrated this.

Lastly this WILL come to the iPad later this year. This has already been announced, and your game will transfer over from the Mac version.

Feel free to add me in game and I'll try to answer your questions.

Last edited by Oppressed; Mar 11, 2014 at 05:26 PM.
Oppressed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:23 PM   #11
Rodster
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCstewieG View Post
No problem. It ran fine for me on a white MacBook with the 9400m.
Thanks i'll download it.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:24 PM   #12
outphase
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Parts Unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchfoot View Post
FTP or IAP?
It's a CCG where you can either earn card packs slowly over time or buy them with real money.
outphase is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:28 PM   #13
Decbaux
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
I'm also looking for more players for deck-testing, chat, etc. Decbaux#1963.

This game has been built from day 1 to be used on the iPad. It's going to be fantastic having a competitive game for it.

There have been countless arguments over Hearthstone being free to play or pay to win, the fact is that skillful players have shown repeatedly you can get to the highest rank (legendary) without spending a cent in the game.

For anyone coming from a traditional TCG, Hearthstone is massively cheaper, and also gives you the ability to take ANY 'useless' card, turn it to dust, and use that dust to craft the cards you need. It's a great system.

Last edited by Decbaux; Mar 11, 2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typos
Decbaux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:46 PM   #14
irnchriz
macrumors 6502a
 
irnchriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schranke View Post
Have been playing the beta for a long time now and i like the game
Will be nice once it comes for iPad
^^^
This

No interest in playing till it is on iPad.
irnchriz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:58 PM   #15
bpcookson
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA
I've been playing the beta casually and I've got to say its a good deal of fun. You can definitely play for free, but it is very tempting to spend cash on card packs to get into the game quicker. That being said, you're given a reasonably large number of "basic" cards for free and can earn more class specific basic cards by practicing with a given class.

It's already been said that a card pack has 5 cards, and these are considered "expert" cards. Each one has a rarity denoted by the color of the gem in the center of the card: common, rare, epic, or legendary. Those basic cards I mentioned earlier have no center gem. A pack costs 100 gold or you can get 2 packs for $2.99 (real cash). The guy who said you can buy a pack for $1.99 is wrong; that price point is reserved for a single entry into the Arena... but I'm not going to get into Arena here. You can look it up.

There are three primary means of accruing gold:
1. You get 10 gold for every 3 wins against a real person.
2. You are given a single random quest every day that will award either 40, 60, or 100 gold upon completion, depending on the quest.
3. There are hidden quests, sort of like achievements, that award as much as 300 gold when completed.

Grinding can be slow but it's enjoyable and you're learning along the way. That being said, I've spent some real cash.
bpcookson is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:59 PM   #16
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603
 
ArtOfWarfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decbaux View Post
For anyone coming from a traditional TCG, Hearthstone is massively cheaper, and also gives you the ability to take ANY 'useless' card, turn it to dust, and use that dust to craft the cards you need. It's a great system.
Everyone I play Magic with just prints out and laminates their own decks - it's a lot cheaper than buying decks and ensures you don't end up with crap for cards.
__________________
Don't tell me Macs don't last: 2007 iMac, 2007 Mac Mini, 2008 MacBook Air, all Vintage.
(iMac obsoletion: April 28, 2015, MBA: October 14, 2015, Mac Mini: March 9, 2016)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:10 PM   #17
Decbaux
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Yeah using proxies (printing a card instead of using the legitimate one) is fine at home but you cannot use those cards during any sort of competitive game.
Decbaux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:29 PM   #18
diogolg
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcookson View Post
I've been playing the beta casually and I've got to say its a good deal of fun. You can definitely play for free, but it is very tempting to spend cash on card packs to get into the game quicker. That being said, you're given a reasonably large number of "basic" cards for free and can earn more class specific basic cards by practicing with a given class.

It's already been said that a card pack has 5 cards, and these are considered "expert" cards. Each one has a rarity denoted by the color of the gem in the center of the card: common, rare, epic, or legendary. Those basic cards I mentioned earlier have no center gem. A pack costs 100 gold or you can get 2 packs for $2.99 (real cash). The guy who said you can buy a pack for $1.99 is wrong; that price point is reserved for a single entry into the Arena... but I'm not going to get into Arena here. You can look it up.

There are three primary means of accruing gold:
1. You get 10 gold for every 3 wins against a real person.
2. You are given a single random quest every day that will award either 40, 60, or 100 gold upon completion, depending on the quest.
3. There are hidden quests, sort of like achievements, that award as much as 300 gold when completed.

Grinding can be slow but it's enjoyable and you're learning along the way. That being said, I've spent some real cash.
Well said... I'm aliso playing the game since january and it is a very fun game.
Actually, the other guy was kind of correct since you can buy a Arena Entrance for 1.99 and in every arena you will get at least one pack...
diogolg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:32 PM   #19
aloshka
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Fun game, but how about release it on the iPad already.
aloshka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:32 PM   #20
HiRez
macrumors 601
 
HiRez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Western US
Blizzard designed the game with large touch targets, the UI frankly looks kind of comically large on the desktop. However, that will be great for the iPad version, this is a game that should work really, really well on an iPad. There's a lot of dragging involved, which is a lot easier on a tablet than with a mouse IMO (and will be a lot more RSI-friendly).
__________________
Go outside, the graphics are amazing!
HiRez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:47 PM   #21
Chazz08
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppressed View Post
I'm an experienced player that has been playing the beta since September so if you are looking for a friend add Oppressed#1555 to your friends list.

To answer some questions so far in the thread. This is F2P with IAP. Packs of 5 cards are 1.99 or less, but the same packs of cards can be earned just by playing the game naturally. You should on average earn a pack of cards every two days with a casual amount of play time.

Also you can be the best at this game (legend rank) without spending a penny. Many streamers on twitch.tv demonstrated this.

Lastly this WILL come to the iPad later this year. This has already been announced, and your game will transfer over from the Mac version.

Feel free to add me in game and I'll try to answer your questions.
I've been playing the Beta as well, but it doesn't let me add friends or see the one's I have. I had a friend send me a friend request, and it wouldn't come through. I did see the request on Diablo though. I hope they fixed this.
Chazz08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:59 PM   #22
bpcookson
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogolg View Post
Well said... I'm aliso playing the game since january and it is a very fun game.
Actually, the other guy was kind of correct since you can buy a Arena Entrance for 1.99 and in every arena you will get at least one pack...
This is true. I stand corrected. And as a matter of fact, I recently drafted a lousy Hunter deck in the Arena and will soon find out what rewards I get for 0 wins and 3 losses...
bpcookson is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:11 PM   #23
sazivad
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
If anyone wants someone to play with, add me epsilon#1425. I'm not a fantastic player but I know the basics, and I've had the beta for a few months now.

Also, newbies can check out this.
sazivad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:15 PM   #24
Crosscreek
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Margarittaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
Will this run on my 2012 Mac mini?
I've been using the beta version for a few months on my I5 Mini with out any problems.
Crosscreek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:10 PM   #25
madsci954
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Also for Wow players, if you win 3 Play or Arena matches, you get the Hearthsteed mount.
madsci954 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS X: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Cooee! Mac and PC Games 14 Jun 4, 2014 03:00 AM
Blizzard's 'Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft' for Mac Now in Open Beta MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 22 Mar 22, 2014 01:22 PM
OS-neutral: [PC] Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft ValtermcPires Mac and PC Games 7 Jan 30, 2014 02:13 AM
OS-neutral: HearthStone - Heroes of Warcraft SilentPanda Mac and PC Games 11 Oct 1, 2013 04:56 PM
Blizzard Announces 'Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft' for Mac and iPad MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 57 Apr 8, 2013 11:16 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC