Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sub-o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Ireland
Hi guys,
Firstly sorry for starting a new thread, but I can't find an answer to my question in the Forum.
I have an 2011 MBP. I recently purchased a late 2009 Mac Mini to serve as the Media Hub and work station for the rest of the family.
As it comes with the stock 160GB 5400 HDD, I want to replace it with a 750 GB WD Scorpio Black.
Both are running Mavericks.
I have all users set up on my MBP and would like to transfer this to the Mini and have both machines identical.
Do I:
a. Clone my MBP drive to the new HDD and will an '09 Mini boot from this? (Same OS build for all MACS)
B. Clone the Mini's HDD to install Mavericks AND then use Migration Assistant?

Thanks!

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
You can also download the mavericks install, install that fresh, and move over all applications, settings, users, documents, etc. using migration assistant. No cloning needed.

Sub-o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Ireland
Thanks BigRed 1, I think I may try to clone the drive first, as our broadband speeds aren't fantastic and it took quite a while to download Mavericks. But thanks for the reply and also glad to see, I wasn't too far off the mark!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.